Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 373017 times)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #2790 on: April 11, 2014, 07:41:45 pm »

It can miss, and it takes forever to charge up, and it costs a missile.

I don't know if they changed this fun aspect of it for the AE, but it can even miss when you target your own ship.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2791 on: April 11, 2014, 07:55:41 pm »

I don't think they miss anymore, at least not against your own ship.

And I'm not sure if I'd agree with "forever", it's usually ready by the time you need it.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2792 on: April 11, 2014, 07:56:16 pm »

You don't need to replace it, but once you have the medbay its better to sell it IMO because I don't typically power it.

Pretty sure it can't miss your own ship at least.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2793 on: April 11, 2014, 07:58:43 pm »

I did have a pretty good Hard run with Engi B though recently, basically if you can get hold of any other ion weapon you can start doing real damage.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2794 on: April 11, 2014, 08:09:50 pm »

Ion + Ion + a way to kill hull reliably is a near guaranteed win.

Its due to an effect I call stabilizing the ion.  Basically every time an already drained system gets hit, not only does the current ion count increase, but the cooldown for the system recovering resets.  So if you stagger two ion blast MK 1s, the first hit does 1 damage, and every one after that does around 1.5 damage.  AND because the cooldown is constantly being reset if you get consecutive hits the system simply does not recover.

Its why the Zoltan B is such a great ship even though it can unavoidably die in the first two sectors.  Its starting weapon loadout will tear a 4 shield ship to pieces given adequate defenses.  Its also why Ion Blast MK 2 is my pick for best weapon in the (pre-AE) game, because it fires so fast it will invoke this effect on its own.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2795 on: April 11, 2014, 08:12:06 pm »

That last point is why the Torus is amazing.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2796 on: April 11, 2014, 08:25:14 pm »

Ion + Ion + a way to kill hull reliably is a near guaranteed win.

Its due to an effect I call stabilizing the ion.  Basically every time an already drained system gets hit, not only does the current ion count increase, but the cooldown for the system recovering resets.  So if you stagger two ion blast MK 1s, the first hit does 1 damage, and every one after that does around 1.5 damage.  AND because the cooldown is constantly being reset if you get consecutive hits the system simply does not recover.

Its why the Zoltan B is such a great ship even though it can unavoidably die in the first two sectors.  Its starting weapon loadout will tear a 4 shield ship to pieces given adequate defenses.  Its also why Ion Blast MK 2 is my pick for best weapon in the (pre-AE) game, because it fires so fast it will invoke this effect on its own.

I'm currently playing Zoltan B and I got a third Ion blast I in the first sector. Triple Ion FTW! Once I get some better defenses, there's not all that much that's going to stand against me.
**Cackles maniacally**
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2797 on: April 11, 2014, 08:55:51 pm »

Charge Ion seems really good, by the way.  It can self-stack damage for 1 less power than the Ion Blast II.  The charging part is almost entirely irrelevant but that doesn't matter.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2798 on: April 11, 2014, 09:06:37 pm »

The way I use it you start with a full charge and then afterwards launch single charged attacks.  Gives you a bit of a buffer against misses.

One of my better attempts to beat the game as Slug B used two charge ions, it would start out fights with a hail of 6 ion blasts.  Still didn't win.  Granted it got that pretty lategame.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2799 on: April 11, 2014, 09:11:03 pm »

Whenever I get ion blasts I want to try for o2-deprivation victories.  I'm not sure it's practical, though, since you need to stunlock their shields and O2, plus their cockpit so they don't dodge potentially half the shots.  Then they're still firing at you the entire time, so...
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2800 on: April 11, 2014, 10:36:03 pm »

Whenever I get ion blasts I want to try for o2-deprivation victories.  I'm not sure it's practical, though, since you need to stunlock their shields and O2, plus their cockpit so they don't dodge potentially half the shots.  Then they're still firing at you the entire time, so...

Every time I have an ion weapon or two I get this idea. Grand total successes: 0.
I've tried the same thing with hacking, and have never found a single ship with less than 2 bars powering their oxygen scrubbers.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2801 on: April 11, 2014, 10:42:59 pm »

It's a silly tactic that doesn't work, just get a beam.

Speaking of which I'm having a great run with Zoltan B, in terms of weapons I've just added in a Heavy Ion and upgraded the Pike to a Halberd to disable and then deal massive damage to everything.  I'll take a shot at the flagship tomorrow.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2802 on: April 11, 2014, 11:05:43 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Vulkan didn't really impress me all that much, and it nearly lost me the game. I found it in the seventh secetor, and by then I had two Flak guns, the halberd beam, and a heavy laser that I could operate all at once.   I would just hit the cockpit with the hacking module, turn it on, and their shields disappeared, with a minimum extra 2 damage to one of their systems.  I could then hit either the  cockpit or weapons with a combined heavy laser and halberd beam, and the enemy ship was instantly disabled.  And since I had a weapon pre-igniter, there wasn't much they could do to stop it.  With the vulcan however I was unable to use this tactic.   I dread to think how terrible it would be without the pre-igniter.   
As it was the rebel flagship was close.  Just two damage to my weapons systems and I would have almost no damage output.   As you can see the entire front half of my ship has seen better times, and I just gave up trying to repair it.   Thanks to all the scrap I saved due to my awesome weapons (Before I got the vulkan), I was able to upgrade all my subsystems, which very much saved me.   I was able to ignore repairing parts like my oxygen generator, nad was able to vent out different areas despite door damage.   Plus, with super blast doors, you can just ignore intruders and vent them out.   
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2803 on: April 11, 2014, 11:16:16 pm »

Vulkan didn't really impress me all that much, and it nearly lost me the game. I found it in the seventh secetor, and by then I had two Flak guns, the halberd beam, and a heavy laser that I could operate all at once

Why did you disassemble a winning combination?

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2804 on: April 11, 2014, 11:18:06 pm »

Vulkan didn't really impress me all that much, and it nearly lost me the game. I found it in the seventh secetor, and by then I had two Flak guns, the halberd beam, and a heavy laser that I could operate all at once

Why did you disassemble a winning combination?
I kept hearing about the awesomeness of the vulcan and so I decided to try it out.   I had to sell one of my flak guns to get it, so that's why I didn't go back to it.   
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 243