Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 373526 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #2130 on: January 23, 2013, 01:32:39 am »

Just had an awesome run with the federation cruiser. Unlocked the Stealth Ship (finally), and not only beat the boss but got my highest score yet. I think I'm really starting to get good at this game.

Also got a Crystal guy, although he sadly died during a boarding action that went south. Useful while he was around, though. Not that I'd have been able to get the Crystal Ship anyway, since after I got him there weren't any sectors left on my route that could have been the Rock Homeworlds.

Still, two really good runs recently.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: January 23, 2013, 07:35:16 am »

Infinite space, got two burst laser +'s from mini bosses right off the bat.

Thats two Burst laser 3's at half power cost. Also a glaive beam, wep pre igniter and two auto reloaders. And arty beam but who cares.

Tis a good run.

I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: January 23, 2013, 06:01:38 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Needless to say it was a phenomenal run.

Although I am extremely annoyed I missed 6000 by a mere 7 points.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: January 23, 2013, 06:15:51 pm »

I guess I should try and go for a maximal points run eventually.  I suppose the best way would be to try and grab as much scrap from every sector possible, then fall back and fight every rebel ship until they stop spawning in every sector?

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: January 23, 2013, 06:24:35 pm »

I guess I should try and go for a maximal points run eventually.  I suppose the best way would be to try and grab as much scrap from every sector possible, then fall back and fight every rebel ship until they stop spawning in every sector?

Do they ever stop spawning, or even give you points?

Whatever the case, I actually won with the Slug A, by somehow getting 2 BLMK1s and keeping the dual laser alongside a stealth system and a teleporter. The boss fight was somewhat boring (take out weapons alongside stealthing followed by pounding the cockpit), but went fine.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: January 23, 2013, 07:13:24 pm »

Based on cursory inspection of the high score thread on the FTL forums, it's possible to farm the rebel fleet infinitely. Apparently you can only fight a rebel ship once per beacon, but this resets if you save the game and quit and come back to it.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: January 23, 2013, 07:15:12 pm »

My high score is consistently in the high 7000's, when I didn't have infinite space and thus a 'final ending' that wasn't marked by being killed.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: January 23, 2013, 10:52:21 pm »

Spoiler: Stalemate (click to show/hide)

Can anyone think of a way I can kill this thing? I don't have any other weapons. My initial plan got wrecked when I accidentally blew up a rebel ship with both my mantis in it on the way to the flagship, and suffered further ruination when it cloaked just before I could withdraw my one rock boarder.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: January 23, 2013, 10:58:00 pm »

Yeah, I can pretty confidently say that there is absolutely no way for you to harm it at all.
You might be able to run away, and get some missiles at a refueling station or salvage them from another enemy, but I am about 99% sure that there is no real possible path to victory (since you would probably need about 30 missiles to win).
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: January 23, 2013, 11:11:59 pm »

I'm currently trying to grind up those two engi in the medbay in the hopes that they'll be able to kill a rebel in a fight.

Does the flagship ever actually use that teleporter in the first phase?

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: January 23, 2013, 11:12:56 pm »

Third phase.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: January 23, 2013, 11:17:07 pm »

I think the game realizes that the only chance I have of winning is if I can fight their crew in my medbay.

It's too bad I can't just kidnap their crew.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: January 23, 2013, 11:19:01 pm »

Even if you had mantises, they'd just retreat to their medbay and heal up while some other new guys blasted you.

You have failed. All you can do is keep the rebel fleet in a sector wide time stop.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: January 23, 2013, 11:19:48 pm »

I'm currently trying to grind up those two engi in the medbay in the hopes that they'll be able to kill a rebel in a fight.

Does the flagship ever actually use that teleporter in the first phase?

To grind up fighting skill you have to kill stuff or damage systems. If that can't happen then you'll never train those engi up.

I recommend doing something like this: Send your human and an engi to some edge of the ship with only one rebel, have them pummel that guy for a while, and then send in two more engi on one of the systemless rooms along the way to the medbay. You might be able to kill a rebel as they retreat to the medbay.

With the cloak active and the level three doors you'll have an extremely difficult time ensuring that your crewman don't die, however.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: January 23, 2013, 11:24:28 pm »

Actually, I'm just going to give up. Even if I did beat the first phase, the boarding drones from the second would overpower me.

Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 243