Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 373589 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #1980 on: January 11, 2013, 04:59:39 pm »

and at the cost of sounding trivial, the best offense is offense.

better yet if you have weapons with low charging time or the pre charger so they will never be able to land a shot on you.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: January 11, 2013, 06:35:26 pm »

If you get a chance to get a pre-igniter for your weapons, do it. It is hands down the most powerful upgrade. Being able to shove two ion blasts at an enemy and then using my halberd beam to cut their shields+whatever the hell else was in reach up is amazing and will literally end most fights before they can start.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: January 11, 2013, 07:33:27 pm »

If you have a chance to get a teleporter, unless you're flying a fully staffed Zoltan ship or something you should damn well get it. Boarding is comically overpowered since after a point you can beat any enemy regardless of threat level so long as you have (A) Decent defenses and (B) Bombs.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: January 11, 2013, 08:44:47 pm »

Wow, I never knew how easy it was to grind combat experience with a level 3 teleporter and an automated ship. Assuming you're not using loltans, you should be able to teleport, damage, then return before your boarders asphyxiate. And since there's nobody to stop you or die and stop your fun, you can continue indefinitely.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: January 11, 2013, 09:13:56 pm »

Oh my god, this is crap.

I have no way to break or shoot through the final boss' shields (out of bombs and I still have basic lasers), yet all its weapons and the crewmembers on there are dead.

I send a boarding party of a level 2 combat Rock and a level 2 combat Mantis frequently, but I never make any progress.

I am in a perpetual tie. Grrrrrrrr.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: January 11, 2013, 09:16:03 pm »

I have no way to break or shoot through the final boss' shields (out of bombs and I still have basic lasers), yet all its weapons and the crewmembers on there are dead.

Why not send them over to the shield room?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: January 11, 2013, 09:23:55 pm »

The enemy trades crewmembers far too fast for them to do any damage because they HAVE to kill the crewmembers first.

But I got very lucky and I finally killed some of their crewmembers that were too slow. Now they can't trade them out as fast.

Edit: AHAHAH! I went from total stalemate in form one to nearly unchallenged the next two forms when it lost its crew. I finally, finally won the game a second time.

Too bad I DIDN'T ACTUALLY UNLOCK ANYTHING.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 09:50:04 pm by Tarran »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: January 12, 2013, 01:41:17 am »

I've actually developed a pretty straightforward strategy to counteract enemy cycling.

They'll always flee when they have two hits worth of health left, so if you've got two spare boarders, you need to draw them across the ship to fight your main threat, and then station your two extras between them and the medbay (preferably in a non-station room, so they aren't seen as a threat and engaged themselves). They should be able to eliminate the enemies as they run by to heal.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: January 12, 2013, 02:58:32 am »

What if the enemy has enough guys to meet your numbers in both rooms? What if your guys on the first boarding crew are near death?

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: January 12, 2013, 08:07:27 am »

Enemy crew won't go after boarders if they aren't in a room with something to damage.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: January 12, 2013, 08:35:59 am »

And if they are going after them anyway, use your fastest boarders to only arrive in the room and take places just before the targets get there. Mantises, presumably. Who make the best units for this tactic anyway.

If you're having problems keeping your dudes alive, door juggle until everyone is over there.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: January 14, 2013, 08:19:25 pm »

SO CLOSE!!!
Final stage of flagship had ONE bar remaining, and I ran out of missiles! ONE! And I couldn't retrieve my boarders from the weapon rooms, or send over new ones! Eventually I got killed by thier superweapon because I hit cloak at the wrong time. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: January 14, 2013, 08:24:51 pm »

If anyone hasn't yet, try the Infinite space mod. This shit is fucking brutal.

Advice: with the extra 140 scrap, stock up on an extra shield, a door upgrade, get the free bomb type weapon and evasion fast. Don't even bother with boarders unless you can get crystals. Get a drone control with defence 1 and anti-personel as fast as you can.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: January 14, 2013, 09:06:04 pm »

This shit is fucking brutal.

And finally, someone trying to sell me this mod actually manages to pique my interest.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: January 14, 2013, 09:10:15 pm »

You get shield four Defence drone 2 End boss level evasion enemies by gate two or three.

Bring a bomb weapon. I'm barely surviving with a halberd beam ion blast 2 breach bomb 2 rock ship.

On a previous run, I managed to get a zoldan shield on a fed cruiser by killing a quest boss. Artillery beam is nuts here.

I think I might try just a run with just a maxed arty beam, two defence 4 drones and a bunch of anti boarders in my crew.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 243