Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 373614 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #1920 on: January 09, 2013, 01:52:59 am »

So, reinstalled game. Someone was complaining about it being hard. I said I'd try a single run, one sitting, default ship (since it's all I had).

Victory! Not a single crew death, either.

Wrex's Fury
Score: 4045 - Difficulty: Easy (Upon Request)
Pilot: Wrex (Human)
Gunner: Skyrunner (Human)
Engines: Remalle (Zoltan, nickname)
Shields: Hans (Rockman, nickname)
Boarding Crew: Cript (Human), Kamin (Mantis, nickname)
Repair Crew: Zangi (Engi, nickname), Reudh (Slug, nickname)

Final Loadout: Burst Laser II, Burst Laser II, Hull Smasher Laser II, Heavy Laser I, Attack Drone
Max Shields, 2 short of max engines
Teleporter, Cloak

Unlocks: Zoltan Ship, Engi Ship, Federation Cruiser

Ships Defeated: 37
Beacons Explored: 96
Scrap Collected: 2345
Crew Hired: 9

Cheevos:
No Redshirts
Victory Through Asphyxiation

Aaaaand... that's a wrap, folks. :P

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: January 09, 2013, 04:43:08 am »

How many of those filthy aliens did I end up killing in the end GG?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: January 09, 2013, 08:07:31 am »

I believe the flagship was some build on some kind of powerfull artefact they found.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: January 09, 2013, 08:18:03 am »

How many of those filthy aliens did I end up killing in the end GG?
Somewhere in the 30s/low 40s. Kamin led on kills with 44, but I don't think you were far behind.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: January 09, 2013, 01:53:59 pm »

[14:48:37] <Willfor> So I finally won a game on FTL while I was going for the United Federation achievement for the Kestral
[14:48:51] <Willfor> I didn't end up getting the achievement but OH WELL I WON
[14:52:03] <Willfor> I had one hull left at the end
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: January 09, 2013, 01:57:36 pm »

Congrats!

Getting that particular achievement really is just chance - I, for example, got incredibly lucky finding a slug in the last sector before the boss sector. But a victory is nothing to frown at!

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: January 09, 2013, 04:44:21 pm »

Yes, yes, it is amazing. The Stealth A is a bit difficult, but the Stealth B and it's starting glaive beam is just glorious.

It's how I pulled off the no-shield win, because bloody hell, you just don't need one for the first few sectors (assuming you avoid asteroid fields).

And Tarran, I've tried it a number of times, finally beat the game with the B version, but by god it was the most painful ship I've flown. I hate pretty much everything about it. It's just... terrible.

Only ship I never beat the game with (with at least one variant) was the Slug ship... because I could never fucking unlock it. Damned RNG! Why no slug!?

Which means I have no idea how good it is or not.

whatisthisidon'teven.

Stealth B is the best? I always call mine the USS Unlikely. I think my top score in it is < 300.

All it takes to lose in that ship is one enemy with a beam drone and you almost never get out of a fight without any damage.

I try all the normal stuff, IE, wait until they fire to stealth, hit many rooms with the beam, avoid asteriods, but in the end I end up limping to Sector two, if I survive at all.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: January 09, 2013, 05:02:36 pm »

What, the stealth ship is one of the easiest to use to get to the engine. It's especially dangerous if you manage to combine it with a weapon preigniter. Rips through enemy ship's likes there's no tomorrow. Just need a bit of luck, and good power switching.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: January 09, 2013, 05:08:53 pm »

Glaive beam should be killing the majority of early game ships in one hit.  It helps if you hit the shield room first.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: January 09, 2013, 05:21:37 pm »

I still think people winning with Stealth ships being demons :v

Howdoyouwinwiththatthingomg.

Demon magic I say v:
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: January 09, 2013, 05:36:49 pm »

Picking up a shield early on is something that you should do with stealth ship. Don't be a hero. It doesn't really need more than two points, but preventing serious beam damage or the occasional lucky shot heading for your weapon room is a big deal.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: January 09, 2013, 05:42:55 pm »

I had about 1/2 my deaths trying to learn to time the stealth ship operations.  I still feel it's so fiddly that I prefer to start with other ships - gimme the good ol Redwing or even the original starting ship for almost painless cruising through the first few sectors.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: January 09, 2013, 05:47:34 pm »

I had about 1/2 my deaths trying to learn to time the stealth ship operations.  I still feel it's so fiddly that I prefer to start with other ships - gimme the good ol Redwing or even the original starting ship for almost painless cruising through the first few sectors.

Try to stealth when the first enemy weapon that could hurt you has fired, that way you waste their shot and come out of cloak with your weapons charged and ready to hopefully disable them.  Its not always the best time to cloak, but as a general rule of thumb I find it works pretty well.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: January 09, 2013, 05:52:12 pm »

Try to stealth when the first enemy weapon that could hurt you has fired, that way you waste their shot and come out of cloak with your weapons charged and ready to hopefully disable them.  Its not always the best time to cloak, but as a general rule of thumb I find it works pretty well.
Actually, try to stealth just before their bullets hit you. That way, you allow them to waste most of their weapons, rather than just the first one to fire.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: January 09, 2013, 06:14:55 pm »

Behold the good ship Disambiguated Kestrel. Made it through three sectors like this. o_o
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 243