Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 372700 times)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #165 on: September 09, 2012, 10:46:18 am »

Yeah, it really does play a little like Infinite Space series, but combat here is different. Quite a bit more tactical in FTL though, and I feel more investment in each game because of my little crew going around becoming good at their things :)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 09, 2012, 11:53:02 am »

I didn't want to say by any mean that this is not a good game.

It is very enjoyable indeed, but the replay value seems pretty low and the 'campaign' is terribly short and shallow.

It is cheap as far as games goes, but as a coffy breaker sits at costly. And the fixed campaign is a bit too shallow. It should be compared with said infinite space, which is worse as ship simulator but actually gets very different one playtrought from the other

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 09, 2012, 01:33:37 pm »

Wait, it's released?
I can't see that on the site. Where is?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 09, 2012, 02:03:47 pm »

it gets out the 14th they say. we backers had a jumpstart  8)

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 09, 2012, 07:37:12 pm »

That said, we dont have the full version yet, so its probably a bit early to call what the finished product will be like.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 09, 2012, 07:48:52 pm »

From what I've been following, I don't know of them holding anything except some unfinished music tracks back. I think it's fair to say that there will be no major changes in the release version.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 10, 2012, 10:59:54 am »

I may or may not pick this up. Sounds like it could take a lesson from Battlestations; expansion adventures.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 10, 2012, 11:27:39 am »

I didn't want to say by any mean that this is not a good game.

It is very enjoyable indeed, but the replay value seems pretty low and the 'campaign' is terribly short and shallow.

It is cheap as far as games goes, but as a coffy breaker sits at costly. And the fixed campaign is a bit too shallow. It should be compared with said infinite space, which is worse as ship simulator but actually gets very different one playtrought from the other
Its worth it.
There are quite a few ships you can play. Due to early game mechanics, they all play differently at the start, and your starting loadout and abilities massively changes what you can do and what you will (plan on) buying as well as having unique subsystems (eg. Zoltan ships have a unique energy shield that blocks the first 5 damage (including missiles) and stops boarders).
For instance if you play the engi ship then you will focus primarily on drones, and damage weapons besides those are unimportant until you get to a point where enemies have like 3/4 shields each. If at all possible you will need to buy a drone reloader, and that will be your main focus at shops.

While the kestral starts with a basic weapon and a missile, while this makes you quite powerful, you will probably end up using most of your missiles at the start, resulting in large problems in zone two and three unless you get a alternate weapon. In addition it starts with 5 weapon power, allowing you to field two good weapons from the start.

And that's not even covering all the different ships.
In addition, each ship has two different starting configurations (rooms in different places, different subsystems), and since going through the game is so random each time (different crews, different weapons, different subsystems, different buying order), although each game will take less then a single hour, there is huge replayability, even using the same ship over and over.

I have played like twenty hours already, and have only went in depth in two ships (and one class each of those ship), out of all the ones available. I know that there is a very long time left for me to play in this game before it loses all replayability, and even then a new expansion (and I think they will have an expansion) could add A LOT to the game (easily dozens of hours more with pretty minimal effort (eg. adding a few new ships, adding another race or two, adding a longer possible campaign mode)).
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 10, 2012, 11:32:29 am »

It feels like that until you are metagaming. Then it becomes popup. Click. Menu. Click enemy. Go trough unimportant event. Is it blue? Click.

Too many choices are pushed by the rng. You and your decision and long term planning are ultimately unimportant.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 10, 2012, 12:44:31 pm »

It feels like that until you are metagaming. Then it becomes popup. Click. Menu. Click enemy. Go trough unimportant event. Is it blue? Click.

Too many choices are pushed by the rng. You and your decision and long term planning are ultimately unimportant.

So, um.. don't metagame?

As far as the RNG goes, it's all about managing risk. Do you take that on that insane crewmember, knowing that there's a goodly chance that they'll kill a crew? (but if they don't, you'll be up a crew)
Do you check out that asteroid field, possibly getting scrap, fuel, maybe even a weapon? (but you might take a good chunk of damage and get nothing?)

Heck, not even all blue events are garanteed good - I had a blue choice to teleport my crew to save a station, which turned out to have a madness plague on it - one of my crew turned into a hostile and started wrecking my ship.

I also dispute your opinion that the randomness makes long term planning ultimately unimportant. Do you know what's going to be at any given merchant? No. However, if you're looking for a certain subsystem/weapon/drone/crew, you should make sure that you keep that much scrap around so that when you hit a merchant who has what you're looking for, you can buy it. Also, until you find what your'e looking for, make sure to maximize your movement in such a way so that you scan the maximum number of stars each move, increasing your chance of spotting the merchants in each sector.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #175 on: September 10, 2012, 12:45:55 pm »

This game relies so heavily on RNG, it may as well be a roguelike with partially defined paths.

This is NOT a bad thing.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 10, 2012, 01:56:44 pm »

It just doesn't make any sense.

Cheap shots are bad design, whatever the motivations. Specially the here six intruder and you can't fight back (and yes it happened outside nebula too, and when it does it disable your camera for no reason)

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 10, 2012, 02:16:27 pm »

It just doesn't make any sense.

Cheap shots are bad design, whatever the motivations. Specially the here six intruder and you can't fight back (and yes it happened outside nebula too, and when it does it disable your camera for no reason)

I'll admit, I've never run into that event - is it something that you could have delt with by opening the compartments to space (or at least, could have if you'd upgraded your doors once or twice?) or alternatively, fight them from your med bay? I've found that it's almost impossible to lose a boarding battle if you've got three crew in a working med bay, since they'll just heal as fast as they're hurt.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 10, 2012, 02:24:24 pm »

sure, but medbay holds three, the other two crewmen died while cycling desperately and the ship got a lot of damage from boarders killing subsystems.

Now, I'm not against hard games; I'm against this kind of unwarranted harshness for nothing. Not that you lose anything important, as there is no 'campaign', so to speak.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 10, 2012, 02:34:21 pm »

The intruder events are pretty irrelevant 75% of the time. The only time there is a real chance of failure is when you both A) don't have any improved doors B) are fighting a ship that's tough on its own (so you can't just abandon battle stations) and C) Are operating with few or weak crew members.

The easiest solution is to just A) make sure you have improved doors (otherwise boarders do present a real problem if they come with a opposing ship), B) open every single room where you don't have crew members up to space (so that they break into a room, then that room has no air, then when they get into the next room, it also has no air (but closed doors again) so they have to go back to ship or die).

One thing that DOES annoy me about the boarding events is that they go past the Zoltan ship's super shields, something that seems a bit ridiculous (since it blocks boarding in all the other circumstances, and it doesn't even give a explanation besides "Whoops, they magically got past the shield"), in my opinion, the shield should just disable the boarding crews in those events.

sure, but medbay holds three, the other two crewmen died while cycling desperately and the ship got a lot of damage from boarders killing subsystems.
Open everything but the medbay (and a part of the ship were you don't have anything necessary so they won't go) to the air, they will probably run into the medbay for refuge, and you will almost certainly be able to kill them there easily. It also sounds like you didn't have improved doors (which you should almost always try to have by zone two unless you have another way to deal with it (eg. mantis and rocks on board)).
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 243