Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 373788 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #1530 on: October 03, 2012, 11:53:45 am »

Which is why I don't bother with them unless I get excess crew I can send over (and have a reasonable chance of not-dying) or start with Rocks/Mantises :P

There's too many other things I can spend scrap on.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: October 03, 2012, 11:58:02 am »

Although, to be honest, I have never, ever played a game where I haven't gotten at least a couple crew members. (except for those where I died or quit in the first sector :P)

There's a lot you can do to make it even more likely, too - I think I went through 15 or 16 crew in my last game since I'd set myself up for a teleporter game and played towards that end. (only a couple died, but I swapped out the humans and other non-needed ones as better options presented themselves)

Getting crew is one of the more reliable things in this game if you know what you're doing.
(By which I mean: Lv2 Medbay and Teleporter)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: October 03, 2012, 12:10:37 pm »

It varies. On my last Zolton ship run, I got more crew than I knew what to do with. On my first Slug ship run, I made it to Sector 7 and only got one additional Slug, for a grand total of three; not even enough to man all stations.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: October 03, 2012, 12:22:59 pm »

In my experience, Slugs tend to get a lot of extra crew because they can kill off crew instead of destroying ships. Slavers and Rebel ships often give you a crewperson reward when you do that.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #1534 on: October 03, 2012, 12:23:36 pm »

Slavers nearly always surrender and give you free crew anyway.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: October 03, 2012, 12:27:19 pm »

Nearly always =/= always. You should ALWAYS expect the RNG in this game to screw you over. Even the blue text options.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #1536 on: October 03, 2012, 12:28:30 pm »

Yeah, but worst case scenario is you blow the ship up and get some scrap in that case.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: October 03, 2012, 12:35:21 pm »

I also cannot stress how important a lv2 medbay is. It means you can try for a number of missions that /were/ 50% gain/lose crew, and not worrying about losing anyone. It means when you find crazy/sick people, they'll join. It means your boarding parties are more effective.

It's a very good early upgrade, and usually the first I get when running a boarder-based ship.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: October 03, 2012, 12:36:21 pm »

I get a Tele in the first sector nearly 80% of the time. Second 90%. The only thing that would stop me would be a Store in the first beacon or simply no stores in the sector at all. Getting the Tele can net you around 3 Instant Crew Members from the small chance of success missions. Station on Fire and the Nebular Damaged Vessel are two that I can think of atm...

Also making use of weaker units in boarding actions takes a little more effort then sending in a couple of Mantis or Rockmen. For things such as Slug and Engi a second level tele will allow you to harass the other crew to around half their health and give you time to tele them back for healing before going back in for the kill, that is if you don't hammer the station which the crew members are manning at the time. In fact the BEST moment to hammer a room with a good bit of damage is when they are retreating to the medbay. Hit that for 2 or more points of damage and you will not only knock around 1/3 of their health but also kill most to all foe medbays (never seen a lv3 Medbay in any enemy ship) This leaves you not only a weakened crew member to face but if you also had pulled them back to heal you now have a fully healed group and they have been damaged by Boarders and Weapon Fire making them really easy to take down. Even better if you can drag out a few more seconds of waiting and hit the medbay again the second after they have it repaired. As this will have dragged most of the crew to the room and away from the other annoying rooms (weapons and bridge for the most annoying). AND the AI will abandon even a nearly repaired weapons room to repair a damaged Medbay nearly all the time...

Another trick is to learn how to door dance. This can delay combat while waiting for the tele to cooldown and even allow for free hits against the crew if you get it right. Door dancing is generally simple after knowing a few things...

1: Crew members will fill a room in a certain pattern, it is mostly like this,
1 2
3 4
And will continue filling the number they were assigned when the group was selected, for example if there are two crew heading to a room but the member that was assigned 1 was redirected elsewhere, 2 will continue to fill in at slot 2...
2: Crew members that are working at a station that is not in slot 1 will remain in that slot even when under attack, the attackers will still head to 1, 2, 3, 4 respectively.
3: Handgun fire is slower then that of Hand to Hand combat, but can alternate between multiple targets, it also allows for first and last hits on crew members entering or leaving a room.
4: There is a free hit on a crew member teleporting into an already filled room.
5: There is a free hit when two or more crew members pass through the same door at the same time.
6: Handguns will not be used UNLESS the crew member is standing in a room slot. It is never used in motion (except for 5)...

Fake Edit/Ninja'd ::
The best thing to do against Slavers is to board and kill them, there is a High chance of getting Scrap AND a new Crew Member. They also normally surrender a "slave" when they take around 1/3 of damage...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: October 03, 2012, 12:49:11 pm »

There's one slaver event where you can even choose the race of your recruit (my choice was Mantis, Rockman, Engi).

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: October 03, 2012, 01:01:48 pm »

There's one slaver event where you can even choose the race of your recruit (my choice was Mantis, Rockman, Engi).
That's when you capture the slaver by killing the crew.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: October 03, 2012, 01:04:46 pm »

fire in their medbay is equally satisfying

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: October 03, 2012, 01:05:29 pm »

I really wish this game had a multiplayer. :(

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: October 03, 2012, 01:12:16 pm »

That's when you capture the slaver by killing the crew.
Yep.  Crew killing is the way to go.

I really wish this game had a multiplayer. :(
Ideally using saved versions of your winning ships.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: October 03, 2012, 01:19:29 pm »

Either huge scrap dump or winning ships, I'd be perfectly happy either way. Winning ships might actually even be more fun.
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 243