Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 372540 times)

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2012, 09:38:40 am »

This looks interesting, but I'll have to wait for a public demo to show up to judge it properly.

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2012, 02:39:04 pm »

I also believe that this is looking interesting. Very interesting.
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2012, 03:33:33 pm »

FTL is currently pre-Alpha, and is planned for a PC, Mac and Linux release in mid-2012.
For now the game is only playable by IGF and other competition judges. There are no plans for a closed/open beta at this time.

Bah, the devs are scum.  STAND STILL AND ILL JUDGE YOU ALRIGHT

But yeah, interested.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2012, 03:42:39 pm »

This looks a LOT like Weird Worlds.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2012, 03:52:43 pm »

Meh, update us when there is a download link. Until then I don't care.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2012, 05:11:08 pm »

Edit: I'm pretty sure I was looking at something else when I posted that

Anyway: Want!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 07:50:21 pm by dogstile »
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2012, 08:00:38 pm »

Man, this game looks awesome.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2012, 08:06:58 pm »

I feel people don't understand how the tech_demo-alpha-beta-release versioning system works these days. Then again maybe it's I who doesn't undersand it...

No, you're right on both ends.  Not only do most people not understand it, but you don't either.

Pre-alpha - Anything and everything that takes place before testing begins.
Alpha - From pre-alpha until feature freeze.  This is the first phase of testing and features may still be added during this time.
Beta - Begins when feature complete.  This is where most of the bug testing will take place.
Release Candidate - Has potential to be the final product.  Begins after leaving one or more betas.  Most bugs that will be fixed are.  No more bugs will be fixed except fatal errors.
RTM - "Release to Manufacturer".  The software is distributed to manufacturers or marketers.  It isn't yet available for retail.
GA - "General Availability".  The point when the software is available to everyone.

Thank you to Wikipedia for reminding me of the very specific details of how this works.  A large number of things that are said to be pre-alpha when they're actually alpha or beta, because they've likely started testing by the time they tell us about it.  Some might be RC.  A large number said to be beta are actually alpha, because they're still adding features.  People should understand RC, but seem to not.  People don't seem to understand RTM exists.  GA is essentially what we call "release".

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2012, 08:19:54 pm »

Funny thing is, before i even noticed this game a guy on our forums (towns) have suggested we make a mod that will turn towns into a game somewhat like this only on board a pirate ship.

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2012, 07:19:09 pm »

I feel people don't understand how the tech_demo-alpha-beta-release versioning system works these days. Then again maybe it's I who doesn't undersand it...

No, you're right on both ends.  Not only do most people not understand it, but you don't either.

Pre-alpha - Anything and everything that takes place before testing begins.
Alpha - From pre-alpha until feature freeze.  This is the first phase of testing and features may still be added during this time.
Beta - Begins when feature complete.  This is where most of the bug testing will take place.
Release Candidate - Has potential to be the final product.  Begins after leaving one or more betas.  Most bugs that will be fixed are.  No more bugs will be fixed except fatal errors.
RTM - "Release to Manufacturer".  The software is distributed to manufacturers or marketers.  It isn't yet available for retail.
GA - "General Availability".  The point when the software is available to everyone.

Thank you to Wikipedia for reminding me of the very specific details of how this works.  A large number of things that are said to be pre-alpha when they're actually alpha or beta, because they've likely started testing by the time they tell us about it.  Some might be RC.  A large number said to be beta are actually alpha, because they're still adding features.  People should understand RC, but seem to not.  People don't seem to understand RTM exists.  GA is essentially what we call "release".
Annnnd to *truly* understand a release cycle you would know that none of what your wrote is set in stone and can therefore be ignored. ^_^

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2012, 12:43:12 pm »

Annnnd to *truly* understand a release cycle you would know that none of what your wrote is set in stone and can therefore be ignored. ^_^
The terms and what they mean are not set in stone, no, in the way that words like "stone" also are not. We have a living language. But in the sense that words have generally recognized meanings, those definitions are fair. A company can use terms however they like, of course, much like how I could use "foo" to mean "I want a steak now", but it's generally accepted that when they or I use a term in an uncommon way, the attempted communication is much more likely to fail.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2012, 12:52:41 pm »

Gotta love bay 12, full of kids trying to justify their existance by 'out experting' each other on things they are far from experts on  8)

Good game though, looks really promising!

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2012, 01:19:04 pm »

I wasn't trying to out-expert anyone.  If you actually looked at that Wikipedia link I posted, it links directly to the Wikipedia page on Software Release Cycles.  Everything I posted is paraphrased from either that page or some other related site.  I never claimed to understand it and I did cite my source.  My last comments were based on the technical definitions of the words.  Bay12 likes to make mountains out of molehills (sometimes literally, in the context of DF), and a lot of times it feels like this community is conspiring against me when considering some of the attacks against my credibility.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2012, 01:36:22 pm »

Meh, I'd say those attacks are more because you're correcting people as well. Just let it go and you're a lot better off :P

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2012, 02:52:28 pm »

It would be great if you could design your own ships.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 243