Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 373840 times)

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #1395 on: October 01, 2012, 09:07:51 am »

Gah. I have having a really good run until FIVE (!) mother fucking Mantis teleported into my engi ship at the same time. 3 from a random event 2 from the ship. Even though I had the engi medical heal and a diverse crew of my Mantis and Rockmen I still got roflstomp when they took out my shields.
Extremely uncool, game. Extremely uncool.

I'm certain this game is nothing but a troll engine now.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 09:12:38 am by Catastrophic lolcats »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: October 01, 2012, 09:37:16 am »

There is no excuse for boarders taking out one of your ships systems. The most they should ever be able to do is reduce your crew to three, and that's in EXTREME circumstances.

Of course, if enemy /missiles/ or something take out your systems, boarders can certainly prevent you from getting them back online before you die. But there is NO excuse for getting killed by boarders, or even really taking damage or losing dudes to them.

If you have doors (and you should, but sometimes...) then there's not even excuse for losing crew.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 09:41:17 am by GlyphGryph »

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: October 01, 2012, 09:43:36 am »

Deal with 5 Mantis invaders on an Engi ship. They outnumbered me for a start and I only had a Rockman, Mantis and two Engis with second tier doors. They also had missiles which took out my doors and weapons extremely quickly. Looking back on the situation I can't think of any logical way I could have prevented the loss of the ship, so I think it's unfair and a little rude to say there was no excuse for losing to five Mantis boarders and a missile happy gunship.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: October 01, 2012, 09:48:31 am »

With that crew and that situation... I might have lost the Rockman, though more due to the missiles than the boarders. 2 engis and a mantis are more than capable of taking on 5 mantis on home turf, just boarder-wise. So long as your guys were in the medbay they can't be killed, and the moment you had a mantis teleport event, your first move should have been VENT. EVERYTHING.

Like I said, though, missiles taking out systems is when boarders become a lot more of a problem. The missiles, I assume, were what prevented you from repelling the boarders to begin with? (I assume they hit your doors with the first shot, which is at least a 2 damage missile... which means we're talking about 14 seconds, so the Mantis should have been pretty suffocatey by that point)

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: October 01, 2012, 10:01:38 am »

Yup. bastards locked down the doors straight away and I couldn't entice the boarders anywhere near the medbay, they were too busy wrecking my stuff. Weapons came next from missile attack so I couldn't even lock down some of their systems to ease things up a bit. All together it was a down-right massacre which was really disappointing. had a level 2 anti-ship drone, a Fire beam and an Ion cannon which was wrecking all of the ships before the boarding party. 

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: October 01, 2012, 10:10:08 am »

Ouch, then. I've gotten, maybe not killed, but severely damaged by a missile-to-doors during a boarder event.

Now, if there are boarders, and the enemy has any chance to get by shields, first action is always "open all doors". It makes the fight a bit harder, but it kills the boarders, and hey! At least the fires get put out right away.

And with two engi's, making it to the doors to repair them isn't that hard. What sucks is when they /also/ hit the o2. (A level 2 medbay is usually enough to make even that fixable, though, esp. with nanobots)

Remember, for optimal venting, disable o2 before opening all the doors - this way you don't have your life support system opposing the venting effect. It gives maybe 4 seconds to turn almost the entire ship yellow. If you still have locks, don't forget to door juggle, too, especially with med nannies! If they are trying to get through a door to, say, escape an oxygen deprived room, run into the room for a second and run out. Repeat. They will keep running to and back from their combat positions instead of escaping. You can also do this if they are threatening to damage systems in a room you need a bit more time to vent (or you need more time for your fighters to heal if you don't have door control). There's many a time I've done this routine for an entire battle until the enemy ship was destroyed, and only then did I deal with the boarders.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: October 01, 2012, 10:18:37 am »

My second run on Zoltan Cruiser A. Decided to save up some scrap for shop shenaningans later.

After few almost-died-if-not-lucky-evade encounters, I warp into Rock homeworlds.

Not only I got a Burst Laser Mk2 from a store there, but on the very next beacon, I've saved a station from fire (rock guys ftw) and what I get as reward?

Weapon Pre-Igniter. So now at jumping, I have Halberd Beam and Burst Laser Mk2 loaded up.

Awwwww yeeeeeea! RNG must have decided that killing me ten times in a row in early sectors is enough for a while :P
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: October 01, 2012, 10:22:21 am »

Now get an ion bomb, and let the games begin! All will be powerless before you!

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: October 01, 2012, 10:39:18 am »

Awwwww yeeeeeea! RNG must have decided that killing me ten times in a row in early sectors is enough for a while :P

Just wait until the second stage of the boss... RNG WILL find a way to screw you over.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: October 01, 2012, 10:39:57 am »

The amount of gifts that RNG throws at me is making me nervous. Clearly it is planning to wipe me out with some automated scout. Also: Haven't seen a single Ion weapon in the whole run. None from events, none in any shop I've encountered but oh well, can't be greedy.

Since previous post, I got second Rock member, as well as engi, and human. Also found a Heavy Laser Mk1 from random event.

Have a look on the ship, am I doing it right?:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Augments are Long Range Scanners, Weapon Pre-Igniter and Zoltan Supershield (obviously).

PS: Actually, the more you plan&pause the game, the less useful the autofire becomes.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 10:41:34 am by Haspen »
SigFlags!
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #1405 on: October 01, 2012, 10:43:18 am »

Doing ok Haspen, but you are going to want a much better missile/bomb. As it is, you will have a hard time against level 4/5 shielded enemies.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: October 01, 2012, 10:44:49 am »

I'd aim for a teleporter too.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: October 01, 2012, 10:48:17 am »

Teleporter? What for? o:
SigFlags!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: October 01, 2012, 10:51:39 am »

Teleporter allows you to kill and disable boss weapons, and gain more scrap from easy ships.

This can be safely ignored if you get a decent system bomb/breach missile/breach bomb setup.

Also, remember you NEED bombs or a way to take down shields /without/ missile for second stage boss ... Or a way to kick out three missiles in a volley. (Hello double missile launcher!)

If you see something decent for shield bypassing, don't be afraid to sell the heavy laser and leto to get it.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: October 01, 2012, 11:01:04 am »

Okay, RNG just gave me fire bomb from random salvage event and 60 70 scrap?

I'M WORRIED.

I'M GENUINELY WORRIED.

* Haspen is too worried to proceed to next sector Dx
SigFlags!
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 243