Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 373849 times)

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #1380 on: October 01, 2012, 03:55:29 am »

Why does the game hate me playing the Stealth ship???
Every time I do so, double Shields on the first battle in sector 2 with a beam drone or something like that. EVERY SINGLE TIME!!!
The game really does seem to hate stealth ships :/  I managed to make it to the final boss, but I had barely enough scrap to spend on shields and had no chance to get decent weapons.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: October 01, 2012, 03:57:17 am »

The game really does seem to hate stealth ships :/  I managed to make it to the final boss, but I had barely enough scrap to spend on shields and had no chance to get decent weapons.

You got to Boss with a Stealth Cruiser?

WHAT KIND OF DEMON YOU ARE D:!

I never got with Stealth Cruiser past Sector 2. It's either asteroids, or beams, or missile weapons, or drones.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: October 01, 2012, 04:02:02 am »

I think I'm doing worse now. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I think especially early on it might be worth upgrading a ton.

I recommend keeping scrap around. You never know when you're going to find a Glaive Beam, or a Weapon Pre-Igniter, or both, in a store.

Or a Pike Beam, or an Ion Blast II, or a Burst Laser II, or a Defense Drone II, and the list goes on. (Although it is a short list.)

You need to keep scrap around in case you come across weapons or augments or systems that will significantly increase your survivability.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: October 01, 2012, 04:05:32 am »

You gotta keep trying till you get early shields (and another weapon before they get 3 shields). Then its just "LOLOL, Did you just fire a missile at me? *Cloak* HAHA, THAT DIDN'T DO ANYTHING, MASSIVE LASER BARRAGE? Cloak, hahaha."
If your weapons suck you might lose to/not be able to harm the boss though, but before that you are pretty beast and unstoppable.

I never got with Stealth Cruiser past Sector 2. It's either asteroids, or beams, or missile weapons, or drones.
You can see environmental dangers with your long range scanners, so just avoid the asteroids (drones are still a huge pain in the ass however).
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #1384 on: October 01, 2012, 04:12:43 am »

First time I beat the boss was with the stealth cruiser.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: October 01, 2012, 04:23:31 am »

You prob don't want to watch this then
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhUqb0sJQBM
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: October 01, 2012, 04:27:45 am »

That doesn't count, he got all nice stuff on the first sectors :P

I rarely get anything useful for Stealth Cruiser.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: October 01, 2012, 04:40:31 am »

Second run with Zolton cruiser went much better. Without the bullshit RNG pirates, I made it all the way to the Last Stand. I had the Halberd Beam, Hull Laser II, Hermes Missile, 3 Shields, 2 Cloak, a base evade of 45%, and two max-level Mantis boarders along with all the assorted other crew.

First phase of the boss went down without much of a hitch. Very little hull damage, though I did lose one of the Mantises when the boss cloaked while I was trying to destroy the boss's helm. Did you know that you can't teleport your guys off of a cloaked ship? And that the boss has level 3 doors? I could only watch while poor Sara got killed, and Thomas barely escaped alive.

Second phase...that one killed me. The defense drone rendered my Hermes missile useless, my hull laser constantly missed, and I forgot all about that goddamn boarding drone. While my sole remaining Mantis was hanging out on the boss, destroying the triple missile system, the boarding drone was running rampant amongst my mostly-Zolton crew. And guess what the first room targeted was? If you guessed Cloak, you're correct! The dronespam started fires in the Medical bay, forcing me to evacuate and drain. Except the next room the boarding drone targeted were the doors, so now the medical bay is in constant vacuum. Oh hey, thanks for destroying Life Support, I didn't need it anyway.

And of course, while all this is going on my Hull Laser would always miss at least one shot, meaning the Halberd Beam couldn't penetrate the shields. I think you can see where this is going.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: October 01, 2012, 05:14:38 am »

This game is mean. It gives me all sorts of nice stuff for my Kestrel (Fire Beam, Halberd Beam, Hermes, Hull Missile, lots of fuel, lots of scrap, lots of crew), but after searching the Engi Homeworlds very, very thoroughly it did not give me the event for the stealth ship. Sigh, I hope I can find a Mantis or Rock homeworld but I think I might have moved off the right path, and this run will be pointless unlock-wise.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 05:16:59 am by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: October 01, 2012, 06:50:06 am »

Had a good run with the Federation B.

Picked up a Burst Laser I and II at a shop and two mantis. I disabled the artillery beam and basically boarded everything through the whole game. I also managed to pick up a Weapon Pre-Igniter and an Automated Reloader.

I ended up losing my crack team of boarders due to completely unavoidable events, like shooting a ship with less than seven hit points with more than seven points of potential damage. It ended up not mattering; the combination of Dual Lasers, Burst Lasers I & II, Halberd Beam, and Weapon Pre-Igniter proved too much for the boss.

And I finally unlocked the Rock Cruiser.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: October 01, 2012, 07:29:37 am »

I do like the federation B - much better than the A.

For those talking about the Stealth Ship... honestly, I think it's probably my favorite. If you're going to lose with it, you usually know quickly enough to restart, and if you make it through to sector 3, the rest of the game is your oyster.

Both versions start with awesome weaponry, and I don't think any other ship in the game even comes close to matching it's initial damage output. 6 damage every 11 seconds is nothing to look down on. Properly timed cloaks give you enough time to pull it off. (I've actually found it's better NOT to put more than one bar in the cloak for the boss - I'm pretty sure his power surge countdown timers keep going even if you are stealthed, and one bar means you can cloak more often than with three. I may be wrong)

I do recommend getting shield ASAP - a single level is usually enough to deal with enemy beams and the occassional laser you can't dodge. Don't be afraid to sell your shitty but valuable titanium. After that, there's a couple of pieces of equipment to be on the looking for:

5-shot burst laser - Beams work best when there's no shield. For type B, this has about the same charge time as your glaive beam, and pretty much guarantees it will do damage. These two weapons together can do 17 damage in a volley on an enemy with no shields, which is why you want... And even with the A-layout, of course, the 2 damage from the Dual laser, plus the 5 from this, plus the 4 from mini-laser is still an impressive 11 damage.

Ion Bomb - Deals a large amount of ion damage, for a long time, for very little power. Guaranteed to knock down two points of shield. Launch one of these before your 5-shot laser -> Beam attack, and the enemy will be on his last leg, if not dead. Best part? It, alone, guarantees success for all but the 5-shield enemies, who are extremely uncommon.

Defense Drone - MKII is better for you, unlike most ships, since you have low shield, but you might not have enough to power it. Remember, you can run an attack drone and defense drone on the same power supply! The drones stick around, meaning reactivation doesn't cost anything - leave your attack (if you have one, or whatever) drone active until there's an incoming volley, and then switch power to the defense drone, shoot it down, and switch back. If you are particularly aggressive, two MKII attack drones are truly a thing to watch.

Drone Arm, Scrap Arm (You can sell both before the final boost, obviously, and spend the cash elsewhere), Hull Repair Drones, Weapon Pre-igniter, and Weapon Autoloader are all pretty good additions to the build.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #1391 on: October 01, 2012, 08:11:18 am »

Ok, so i just found out that mantis-crewed ships are super vulnerable to fire bombs. They repair too slowly to actually put out the fires, and since they didn't have blast doors, two fire bombs left more than half their ship in a raging inferno. The last mantis got zapped by my mini-beam. Apparently, killing the crew rather than destroying the ship nets you a LOT more scrap (got 85 from that ship). I have subsequently found a burst laser MKIII (which i'm saving up weapon power for) and am now using a hull laser MKII for the killination. Finally doing well again!!
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: October 01, 2012, 08:14:35 am »

I feel so proud of myself.
On my first run with the Gila Monster (Mantis Cruiser A), I got both the rock and crystal cruisers and made it to the last stand.
Then I got destroyed by the almighty flagship.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: October 01, 2012, 08:16:18 am »

You lost against the flagship with the MANTIS ship?  That's the boss's weakness! o_o

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: October 01, 2012, 08:34:18 am »

You lost against the flagship with the MANTIS ship?  That's the boss's weakness! o_o
I didn't really prepare for the fight.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 243