Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 373939 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #1170 on: September 26, 2012, 08:50:09 am »

Back on topic, where the fuck are those XML's. Apparently my version of the game can run without those but that might be because steam.

Why? Aside from your personal opinion of course? I'm basing my logic on the explicit goals and core concept of what kickstarter is as an organisation.
KS is all about funding projects. Project fucking funded.

If someone says "give me money, and i'll use it to make this game better" and people give them 200% of what they ask for, are they not then obligated to make the game 200% better than they originally would have? Because that's what happened here. If the FTL kickstarter page said "we need 10,000. Any more than that we will gladly accept but will not be used to improve this game in anyway" then I highly doubt they would've got as much as they did.
Yes they would. People usually don't fund because they want the end product to be better. They fund it because they like the product as it is already and would fund anyway.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 08:52:05 am by Darvi »

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: September 26, 2012, 08:58:05 am »

Spoilerified to avoid upsetting the actual players ;)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 09:29:06 am by Sergius »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: September 26, 2012, 08:59:52 am »

That's not how it works. If they get 20 times the cash they asked for, then, barring stretch goals, they aren't obligated to make a game that's 20 times as better. If they say "we're making a game for 10k$" then a 10k$ game is what you get. That there's been so much demand for the game doesn't justify that the individual funder feels entitled for more than they bargained for.

Why? Aside from your personal opinion of course? I'm basing my logic on the explicit goals and core concept of what kickstarter is as an organisation.

If someone says "give me money, and i'll use it to make this game better" and people give them 200% of what they ask for, are they not then obligated to make the game 200% better than they originally would have? Because that's what happened here. If the FTL kickstarter page said "we need 10,000. Any more than that we will gladly accept but will not be used to improve this game in anyway" then I highly doubt they would've got as much as they did.
Nope, they are 200% more obligated to deliver what they promised. They don't have to exceed their promise because people decided to throw more money at them.
They promised 10k worth of game if they got the funds, and that's what we got.

Your version of kickstarter would just not work. Pledges would need to be capped, as developpers will want to avoid being obligated to do way more than they intended.

Let's take a non videogame example. Say I'm making 1.5 hour movie, and I need X dollar for that. Now if so many people like the movie that I get double my pledge, do I need to double my movies length. Ideally, it should all go to the movie, but with such  a ridiculous amount of overfunding, there's a point where throwing more money at something simply doesn't work anymore and the product actually becomes worse.

Kickstarter works on the basis of person giving you X in exchange for your promise to do Y with their money. If they give you more money, you're not obligated to change your promise.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: September 26, 2012, 09:01:34 am »

Also? The developers are just four guys. Two of which not even being technically members of the team. It would take them months to improve the game to the point where the 200K would allow them to. Their time is better spent releasing the game on time and then potentially improving on it post-release.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: September 26, 2012, 09:08:29 am »

Hopefully the post-improvement won't end like that other game.

"Oh hey guys, today I decided to be mature and just screw up all this game thing, herp derp, goodbye C:"
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: September 26, 2012, 09:36:07 am »

"Oh hey guys, today I decided to be mature and just screw up all this game thing, herp derp, goodbye C:"

Terraria?
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: September 26, 2012, 09:37:37 am »

Terraria?

I would buy you a beer if you lived in Poland :P

So instead!

* Haspen MANHUGS.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #1177 on: September 26, 2012, 09:40:09 am »

By the way, $180k is somewhere between 4 and 8 months worth of development time for a 4 man team at competitive wages.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: September 26, 2012, 09:42:16 am »

Back on topic, where the fuck are those XML's. Apparently my version of the game can run without those but that might be because steam.

The Steam version is the same as the Humble version (minus Steam). The XML's are packed in the dat files.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: September 26, 2012, 09:58:21 am »

Those who say this is a 10k development game... I'm sorry, no. It's worth way more than that. This is a fairly polished game, with interesting mechanics and good music. Let's assume a basic entry level programming job for someone who knows how to program. Starting salary around 60k (including benefits). That's 5k a man a month. With 4 people on the team, that's 20k a month development time.

(For reference, AAA games take years to develop with much larger teams. This is why they need several more digits worth of cash.)

This game is probably at least a 3month project for 4 people (2 coders), meaning that (at minimum reasonable compensation and ignoring all business costs associated with the game's production) we're talking a 60k game at minimum. I think this is at least a 60k game myself, especially considering they went out of there way to make it fairly open and DRM free.

Anywho, I do have one critique of the game:
Where are the rest of the goddamn sprites? There's code and references all over the place to them expecting there to be more than this, with special character sprites and alternate appearances. What happened?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: September 26, 2012, 10:04:14 am »

Those who say this is a 10k development game... <etc. etc.>
Well yeah I think they already started the development when they started the KS didn't they?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: September 26, 2012, 10:12:56 am »

I do think they were like 2/3rds of the way through, but had run out of savings or something that they needed to finish it - 10k was just the amount they needed to push them over the hump, from what I understand.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: September 26, 2012, 10:24:44 am »

Since it was at the bottom of the page...
Before it comes up again. Please keep on topic and take anything about Kickstarter or even FTLs Kickstarter to a different thread. Two Four pages about that isnt right...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: September 26, 2012, 10:29:56 am »

New Patch up on Steam:
Changelog 1.02

Compatibility Changes:

•Older laptops experiencing "overly pixelated" or distorted images should now function
•MacBooks with ATI X1600 video cards will potentially function both in fullscreen and windowed. I do not have access to a MacBook with that video card, so if you're experiencing that problem please update me!
•Mac OS X version now implements Left-Ctrl+Left-Click to be equivalent to Right-Click

Fullscreen Changes:

•Fullscreen stretch now works differently and should be more effective at properly "stretching" to fill your screen
•Monitors that support 2560x1440 should be properly scaling and look much better (I'm jealous)
•Monitors with resolutions less than 1280x720 may now function in Fullscreen Stretched depending on your OpenGL support
•A more elaborate manual mode is available for tweaking your desired resolution effect within settings.ini

Additional Video Settings:

•V-Sync can be activated within options mode. Depending on your system, you still might need to force it on or off from your video card control panel as well.
•Frame limiting is also available from the options. Between the two (V-Sync vs. Frame Limiting), pick the one that works best for you to balance performance and cpu use.

Additional Game Settings:

•Within options you can enable paths to be drawn when hovering over a beacon.
•Dialog keys will now have a brief delay before they are active, this can be disabled within the options.

Other Bugs:

•Start Crash Fix: Sometimes unidentified USB devices could cause FTL to fail to start
•Removed bugged weapon from the secret sector
•Moving crewmembers will still teleport assuming they are in the room of their final destination
•Killing the crew of an enemy ship will count as defeating it for stats
•Selling the Zoltan Energy shield will no longer be bugged
•Federation Ship will properly unlock on victory (and will unlock retroactively for those that experienced this bug)
•Secret Cruiser Type B stealth imagery has been fixed
•Fixed situation where a defense drone could become permanently powered
•Energy Shield can no longer be damaged while jumping, preventing it from properly recharging
•Fixed: Ion Storm and Nebula effects would disappear at beacons where you leave behind an enemy
•Saving in sector maps can no longer sometimes cause you to skip a sector
•Excess error message repeats removed
•Repeated "victory" in Sector 1 after restart fixed
•Possible fix for disappearing quests after Save & Quit
•Possible fix for enemies jumping away despite destroyed piloting
•Fixed freezing enemy AI when low on health and medbay is on fire
•Save & Quit in a store will no longer reduce repair costs
•Typos corrected in tooltips/weapons/events

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: September 26, 2012, 10:33:24 am »

Since it was at the bottom of the page...
Before it comes up again. Please keep on topic and take anything about Kickstarter or even FTLs Kickstarter to a different thread. Two Four pages about that isnt right...

Please stop telling people what they are and are not allowed to do in a thread that you didn't start.

Please stop trying to be the arbiter of what "isnt right".

Please stop screaming.

Please go back in time and tell people around page 3-10 to NOT MENTION THE KICKSTARTER PROJECT ASKING PEOPLE TO BACK THIS GAME UP, if you're so fed up about it.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 10:35:05 am by Sergius »
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 243