Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 373929 times)

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #1155 on: September 26, 2012, 04:13:56 am »

I met a pirate and had to make a choice what to sacrifice in the battle.
I've chosen oxygen. After a while he is pretty damaged and I'm doing ok, but the oxygen is down to 35% and i don't want to take any chances so i just jump away.
...straight to a slug pirate- "The slugs have sabotaged your oxygen...". DEAD >:(

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: September 26, 2012, 06:31:24 am »

I've chosen oxygen. After a while he is pretty damaged and I'm doing ok, but the oxygen is down to 35% and i don't want to take any chances so i just jump away.
...straight to a slug pirate- "The slugs have sabotaged your oxygen...". DEAD >:(
You can survive quite a long while without oxygen. If you're willing to micromanage a bit, you can switch power between oxygen and engines to keep it stable.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1157 on: September 26, 2012, 06:33:55 am »

You can survive quite a long while without oxygen. If you're willing to micromanage a bit, you can switch power between oxygen and engines to keep it stable.
I think in this event though you cannot put power to the life support system at all, which means no refilling of oxygen. In fact the only thing you could do is transport (if you have a teleport) all crew to the slug ship and hope to overpower them.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: September 26, 2012, 06:36:31 am »

I meant in the pirate event, the one before he met the sadistic slugs.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: September 26, 2012, 06:45:17 am »

I think in this event though you cannot put power to the life support system at all, which means no refilling of oxygen. In fact the only thing you could do is transport (if you have a teleport) all crew to the slug ship and hope to overpower them.
Yeah, unless you have upgraded oxygen, you pretty much only have the choice of killing them really quickly or jumping away.

Its one of the more nasty events, especially if you jump in with already low oxygen.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #1160 on: September 26, 2012, 06:49:31 am »

Yeah, it's one of the reasons I upgrade medbay and the oxygen scrubbers early on. That extra level opens up a lot of event options/allows me to avoid nasty situations.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: September 26, 2012, 06:53:31 am »

I think Kulik first managed to get the one where a pirate is going to hack a system, but he lets you choose which one you want hacked (oxygen, weapons, or shields), before he met the one that just goes straight for the oxygen.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: September 26, 2012, 07:02:33 am »

Another win on Normal - this time with the Zoltan ship type B (3772 points.)

All I've got to say is that wow, multiple burst laser IIs are totally insane: Two of them followed by a hull laser I will take down any shields (and probably a good chunk of the shield generator) and leave the enemy totally open to slicing and dicing with a pike beam across four or five rooms. Nothing stood a chance - I only wish I'd also had the weapon pre-igniter, just for the extra lols.

By the flagship, I had full stealth and stealth weapons, 3 pips of shield, dual mantis boarders... it wasn't even a close fight - I barely even took a scratch.

My only regret was that I ran into the Mantis ship, but at that time I hadn't gotten the teleporter yet, so I had to let him go (Again.) This marks encounter number four with the Mantis ship... I will get the damn thing eventually.

As to the other topic of conversation:
To my knowledge, we got improved music with some of the extra money they took in (which turned out well, I must say - I really like the music,)  and they fulfilled what they said they would do: Make the game and give everyone who gave them money a copy of it.

That's it. They specifically did not go for huge, extravagant stretch goals because when they got to the Kickstarter phase, they were already somewhere around 2/3rds done - they wanted to get this out the door without losing the vision they had.

And that's fine by me. I've gotten hours (and hours and hours) of enjoyment out of this title.

Now, would I like to see them continue to improve the game? Absolutely. But I don't think they "owe" us anything, just because they were sucessful.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: September 26, 2012, 07:11:11 am »

Before it comes up again. Please keep on topic and take anything about Kickstarter or even FTLs Kickstarter to a different thread. Two pages about that isnt right...

Also DAMN YOU RNG. LET ME OUT OF THE THIRD SECTOR!!! 7 RUNS ANF YOU STILL PUNISH ME!!!!
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: September 26, 2012, 07:13:34 am »

It wouldn't make sense if they didn't capitalize on their sucess with FTL anyway, they'll probably keep improving it or make expansion packs for it. Abandoning FTL after the massive (for such a small project) positive feedback it got would be entirely silly.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: September 26, 2012, 08:21:12 am »

I actually hope and feel that a new genre has been born. Some kind of space ship/station-management which will evolve over time. (I know there were others before like battlecruiser 3000 a.d., space colony or startopia but not in this kind of way.)

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: September 26, 2012, 08:35:18 am »

Before it comes up again. Please keep on topic and take anything about Kickstarter or even FTLs Kickstarter to a different thread. Two pages about that isnt right...

Hate to break it to you, but the games production, pricing, and development is a pretty apt topic of discussion in a thread about the game.

Sure, Kickstarter is not a store.

In that case, any money that exceeds the limit and any stretch goals can be considered a reward, or an incentive, or a donation.

Nothing "morally dubious" about that. Also, the people overfunding are getting their "gifts" or whatever it is they expected in exchange of a successful project. There's no difference if it was $100k worth of T-Shirts or "$100k worth" of autographs or downloads.

It's also not an investment. Each single person contributed what they individually contributed, nothing more, nothing less. There's no single person who can ask for his $190,000 back.

KickStarter does seem to be listening to the complaints, and reacting tho (although, apparently in the worst possible way)... for example, they're adding rules that make projects harder to succeed, such as prohibiting posting concept renders, because some people couldn't tell between concept art and the finished game and got butthurt about it. So, careful what you wish for.

No? Kickstarter isn't a place to go to get donations. It's a place to go to get funding. Again the difference can be subtle, but it's there. And it's the whole reason the site exists. The FTL kickstarter was two guys saying "give us money to make this specific game, we need 10,000" and then people said "take 200,500 to make this game, it's a cool concept!" If they then pocketed the difference that's pretty shady.

It says on their kickstarter under what they would be doing with the money: "Polish & Improvement: Making FTL as good as it can be." As a two-man studio release with a budget of $10,000 FTL is a good game. As a $200,500 budgeted game it's pretty piss-poor.

The gifts you get for funding in kickstarter are basically a marketing ploy. "give us money to make our game" becomes a lot more appealing if it's "give us money to make our game, get a copy of our game as thanks!" At the lowest funding level of $10 it's a fair trade, the next level os $25 and you get beta access. $15 for beta access is a pretty terrible deal unless you're spending that money with the implicit agreement that it will go to improving the game and "making it as good as can be."

And kickstarter should make it harder for things to be funded, and should penalise projects that are badly mismanaged or not well thought out with hard caps on their funding goals. At the moment there's nothing to stop someone putting up a project, raking in a million or two and then absconding to Mexico.

Anyway, I'm pretty disapointed with the modding for this game. It looks like to add in a new ship you have to replace an allready existing one? This is some terrible design for a game like this. It looks like you can add in new weapons though, but the ships are the main thing that drastically impact how the game plays. I wanted to fly around in a millenium falcon. :(
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 08:39:06 am by fenrif »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: September 26, 2012, 08:40:40 am »

That's not how it works. If they get 20 times the cash they asked for, then, barring stretch goals, they aren't obligated to make a game that's 20 times as better. If they say "we're making a game for 10k$" then a 10k$ game is what you get. That there's been so much demand for the game doesn't justify that the individual funder feels entitled for more than they bargained for.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: September 26, 2012, 08:45:25 am »

And kickstarter should make it harder for things to be funded, and should penalise projects that are badly mismanaged or not well thought out with hard caps on their funding goals. At the moment there's nothing to stop someone putting up a project, raking in a million or two and then absconding to Mexico.

I'm fairly surprised this hasn't already happened a few times.

It says on their kickstarter under what they would be doing with the money: "Polish & Improvement: Making FTL as good as it can be." As a two-man studio release with a budget of $10,000 FTL is a good game. As a $200,500 budgeted game it's pretty piss-poor.

Possibly, but again that comment was made with the request of the $10,000. They never said excess money would go towards anything extra as far as I can see.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: September 26, 2012, 08:50:00 am »

That's not how it works. If they get 20 times the cash they asked for, then, barring stretch goals, they aren't obligated to make a game that's 20 times as better. If they say "we're making a game for 10k$" then a 10k$ game is what you get. That there's been so much demand for the game doesn't justify that the individual funder feels entitled for more than they bargained for.

Why? Aside from your personal opinion of course? I'm basing my logic on the explicit goals and core concept of what kickstarter is as an organisation.

If someone says "give me money, and i'll use it to make this game better" and people give them 200% of what they ask for, are they not then obligated to make the game 200% better than they originally would have? Because that's what happened here. If the FTL kickstarter page said "we need 10,000. Any more than that we will gladly accept but will not be used to improve this game in anyway" then I highly doubt they would've got as much as they did.

I'm fairly surprised this hasn't already happened a few times.

Possibly, but again that comment was made with the request of the $10,000. They never said excess money would go towards anything extra as far as I can see.

Again, the statement wasn't "if we get $10,000 that money will go to improve the game." It was "your pledge funding will go to improve the game."
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 243