Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Undead for fun and profit.  (Read 2266 times)

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
Undead for fun and profit.
« on: January 15, 2012, 04:03:54 pm »

So, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about how to use 20+ large-ish undead, varying from giant lions and whales, in a way that will benifit a group of dwarves. I was thinking of just leaving them outside as a way to keep invaders out, but I thought I could have the advice of more experianced players in the art of weaponising the living dead.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
Re: Undead for fun and profit.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 04:18:09 pm »

Unfortunately they won't attack anything but your own dorfs.  Probably the only thing useful you could do with them would be to cage trap them, then release them one at a time into your barracks for training purposes.   Give your soldiers blunt or wooden weapons and they will fight them for days and days and days, since zombie/skeletal creatures are notoriously hard to kill with crappy/blunt weapons.  Before long your dorfs will become deadly and you can assign them real weapons.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 04:18:51 pm »

Zombie pit/Labyrinth

Or

Zombie housing :3

My favourite so far has been a fall trap - ground falls beneath invaders, bridges on the lowest level lower, berserk Dorfs/zombies released >:£

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
  • Sweet flaming monkey fire WHY are they doing that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 06:47:05 pm »

They're in cages right?
Well here's what I do. There are two options.

Option ONe: the easy path. Use a mass pitting system to put all your monsters in a pit, the above said pit put a retracting bridge. Link brigde to lever, When goblins stand on bridge, Pull lever dropping goblins into Death pit.

Option Two: Harder. 
Set up the undead cages on a platformheld up by stairs. Maksure theses stairs are accesible only to the outside. the platform should not path into your base. Build cages on platformm and link them to a levers. Multiple lever link faster because you have more mechanics working on them but I find it's more effective if you link all the cages to a single lever so they get released all at the same time.

I don't know why people are saying they only attack dwarves, I've used the againt, elves, humans and goblins with moderate success.
It's not very effective against armoured enemies though. It's not really worth the effort when it comes to cage traps.

When goblins come underneath you Zombie platform, Pull the lever. The undead Will come swarming down to kill the Gobbos or the goblins will charge up. If it's a siege the goblins will probably win, but the Dead will make a good distraction and may make a nice dent in thier forces.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 06:49:06 pm by Monkeyfacedprickleback »

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 01:47:07 pm »

Unfortunately they won't attack anything but your own dorfs.  Probably the only thing useful you could do with them would be to cage trap them, then release them one at a time into your barracks for training purposes.   Give your soldiers blunt or wooden weapons and they will fight them for days and days and days, since zombie/skeletal creatures are notoriously hard to kill with crappy/blunt weapons.  Before long your dorfs will become deadly and you can assign them real weapons.

In my experience undead fight with goblins.  Regular wild animals do not but undead ones do.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 08:02:44 pm »

varying from giant lions and whales,

A fantastic day for you; whales are the same size as bronze colossi. Skeletal whales are some of the greatest pit monsters, whose blows crush everything. Just don't drop them in there from high, heavier creatures tend to explode after being dropped higher than one z-level. If it's a zombie whale, they aren't as effective but will serve well all the same.

Just use a cage-lever to drop it over a pit (one z-level below it), then drop goblins in that pit either as a siege defence or a way to remove unsightly caged goblins.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 12:05:29 pm »

Completely missed out the whale point. Dry moat/ditch around your fort full of the undead.

raptorfangamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Svenleton King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 12:11:55 pm »

big pit on terryfing biome, enough for things to not to explode, but enough to at least get them to suffer, things that get hungry will soon die and become zombies, and soon my zombie pit of zombiness evilness will be ready to raid the fun... or at least open up to almost the magma sea
"Tobar, whats that on the wall?"

"That, Urist, is a reminder not to piss me off..."