Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: where do you like to setup your fort  (Read 902 times)

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
where do you like to setup your fort
« on: January 15, 2012, 11:44:09 am »

I thought this would be interesting,  where do you setup your fort,  what industries do you typically go for?

I typically look for volcano's in tropical regions,  I typically do a bone crafting industry from hippos,rinocoress, elephants, ect,   most everything in my fortress is typically made from gold (doors, beds, bins, work shops), typically have a decent clothier industry in the late game, dying pig tail or cave spider thread, usually using gems to encrust furniture, I typically don't trade unless i need something like gypsum (though i may start trading for soap given the current bugs).
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: where do you like to setup your fort
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 11:53:04 am »

Normally a desert without any trees or plant life, flux or metal, though I recently embarked on a site simply because it had a lovely cave and was pretty flat. Needless to say, I rarely get a steel industry going at all.

Aleksander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 12:35:54 pm »

Someplace with a hill(I don't look for any type of climate) that I can wall the top off and build farms/safe source of wood. Then I build a separate entryway somewhere on the hill for making traps in. As for industry, rock crafts x9001 to get as much metal from caravans.
Dragons will add an additional dwarf to their size for every two years after that

I know what you meant, but I parsed this as "Dragons will eat a dwarf every two years". Which really, would be about the most dwarven pet you could get.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 01:10:15 pm »

Depends on my goal for the fort. I try to find a spot with ideal terrain and ideal materials(flux, shallow+deep metals, soil, aquiferless), but I'm willing to compromise on just about anything, depending on how perfect the surface is.

I usually end up using all industries to some extent. The only time I ignore one is when the area lacks either glass or clay. My main exports for the first year is whatever the hell I can salvage up, second is the same, but with some food thrown in, and after that it's masterwork roasts, goblinite, and whatever other junk I need to get rid of.

terkiey

• Bay Watcher
  • chicken what i need
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 01:19:26 pm »

As long as it has a volcano and no aquifier, I am fine.
I usually spam rock mugs for my industry.
I also make do with iron.
Quote from: Meistermoxx
Quote from: Knigel
Does anything bad happen if you accuse someone of being a night creature and they aren't?
Yes, they call you a rasict, and then they shot you and take your cocaine.
[(√[1]/∞)+3!+|Chicken|] / [100^(1/2)]

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 05:13:10 pm »

As long as it has a volcano and no aquifier, I am fine.
I usually spam rock mugs for my industry.
I also make do with iron.
does your military suffer at all? I often abandon forts with out iron
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 05:42:21 pm »

I prefer relatively flat areas with a decent amount of trees and a river. As long as there is one metal grade ore I'm happy enough. I prefer savage biomes, for the challenge and meat
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

UnexpectedSalad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 07:23:49 pm »

A relatively flat area with a large hill or mountain in the center if I'm lucky or can even find this type of area. I like to make four entrances to my fortress on these areas.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 07:53:29 pm »

I'm new, so I'm mostly looking for places at random. The only considerations for me is flowing water, and some trees. Until recently I also looked for areas without aquifiers, but once I tried one and breached it, I now no longer worry about them much.

though I recently embarked on a site simply because it had a lovely cave and was pretty flat.

How did you know it had a cave? And what do you mean by a cave, anyway? The caverns? Or the geometry of the site?
Feeling down? Click Here!

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 08:14:19 pm »

3x3 regions.  I prefer a tight little 3x3 area with lotsa trees, instead of the 4x4.  Gives me less room to work, true.  However, I love to watch dwarfs hunt and fish.  In a 3x3, it takes me hardly any time to channel and make safe for hunting, all the ponds that might be present there. 

Then I build up/down stairs, directly next to the wagon, to start the fortress.  Any Dwarf I get with agility at 1k or over, I turn into a Hunter.  Hunters are my only defense.  I don't ever bother with the buggy military interface.  It just frustrates me.  Problem I sometimes have is getting them all to ambush together.  I never assign them hunting pets, I just let tame war beasts roam free outside, with pet locked doors to prevent them mingling in my meeting areas.  I do give the Hunters bedrooms however, to store their loot.

Like the previous posters, I like flat and rolling areas, where I can follow with ease the outdoor actions.  I really dislike evil biomes.  Not because of their difficulty, but because of the miasma.  Miasma clouds sorta ruin the eye candy for me.  I cannot follow what's going on there, because of all the gunk in the air.  So I avoid them.  If I wanna play a game where I can't see squat, and only have to rely upon the text, I'll go play a merc-diku MUD.

Sincerely,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Coolnesstod

• Bay Watcher
  • Drink, Work, Repeat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 08:29:52 pm »

Grassy, somewhat forested areas, Preferably hilly. If it has copper or bronze im fine, Iron or steel is a plus. If a river is available, Im golden. Wilderness for me since i love to get Elephant meat.  ;D
All glory to the Hypnotoad.
Random fact: Robin Williams was once addicted to cocaine during the late 1980's/early 1990's.