Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: caverns  (Read 654 times)

Aramara Meibi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
caverns
« on: January 14, 2012, 07:13:50 pm »

the wiki says the first cavern should be found around 10 lvls below the surface. I'm at 35 lvls below the surface and nothing but solid rock (well, pockets of gems here and there, but nothing else). This is my third fortress, my second I got to around 20 lvls before being wiped out by goblins above. his time around I've got goblins under check, I get sieged about every other year and it's no big deal, just a steady supply of copper and silver really. I'd like to breach the caverns for more fun, but I'm growing worried.

Is it possible to embark on a site without caverns? Things are beginning to get repetitive, and unless a dragon or other flying beastie or bronze collossus shows up, I feel I'm not under much threat topside. That plus I'd like to gain my own supply of wood and access to water and eventually magma.

ayoriceball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: caverns
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 07:18:45 pm »

Did you dig straight staircases? Branch out using tunnels at every level and you will find the caverns eventually. This happened to me once.

The only way to get no cavern layers is if you use advanced world parameters and turn them off that way.
Don't dwarven ladies know they're beautiful the way they are? They don't need to starve themselves to look like those elven bitches.
"Tigermen are lazy and worthless... but not MY friend, Grroawarul."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 07:46:15 pm »

Dig shafts out everywhere.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 08:03:03 pm by Loud Whispers »

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 08:02:38 pm »

Your cavern(s) could just be really far down, or you may have tunneled through a solid wall without realizing it.
Dig exploration shafts every few levels below ten as the others have suggested, and if that doesn't work just keep going down.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 02:22:23 am »

Your cavern(s) could just be really far down, or you may have tunneled through a solid wall without realizing it.
Dig exploration shafts every few levels below ten as the others have suggested, and if that doesn't work just keep going down.
Until you hit magma that is... then you know you've gone too deep.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 11:31:27 am »

Or, more accurately, you've gone just deep enough!

Aramara: you're probably actually incredibly lucky if you've managed to dig your central staircase straight down and *not* hit the caverns in the process.  Usually when I'm digging my central staircase I end up having to slew way way off to the side to find a way through the maze of the caverns as I'm digging down.

--nomad_delta

Aramara Meibi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 12:21:58 pm »

For every Z level I dig down, I do some exploratory mining branching out from the staircase. It's something of a procedure and in effect creates an inverted fractal cone of sorts deep into the earth. So unless the caverns are hiding tucked away in the corners of my map, I haven't bypassed them. I'll keep digging of course, maybe I can set a record.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 12:56:28 pm »

Or, more accurately, you've gone just deep enough!

Nope, dig deeper.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 01:01:48 pm »

Keep digging until you can dig no more, then dig even further.

Remember that dwarven lives count for very little in this endeavor.  8)
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy