Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How do you look for metals?  (Read 1102 times)

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do you look for metals?
« on: January 14, 2012, 06:58:42 pm »

So I've looked on the wiki about the methods to prospect for ore, and I've tried some of the ones described there, but I'm wondering what methods have you guys used and which do you find to be the most effective? The least "destructive"(by leaving holes or shafts in your fort)?
Feeling down? Click Here!

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
Re: How do you look for metals?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 07:05:31 pm »

Begin digging out fort.

Work with whatever ores/rocks I find in the process.

No matter how valuable the material, exploratory mining isn't worth the damage done to my aesthetics.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 07:14:09 pm »

Often, I simply dig out the framework for all my levels. As it covers a large area, it quite neatly shows ore amounts and locations.

Alternatively, the prospect all command in DFHack shows all ores and gems.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 07:44:01 pm »

Dig massive hole in ground.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 08:00:26 pm »

Strip mine 30z or so.

Aleksander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 08:00:34 pm »

A simple grid patters works fine for me. Often if you have dug a large amount out and there is no ore or variation in stone, there probably isn't any close. Dig deeper.
Dragons will add an additional dwarf to their size for every two years after that

I know what you meant, but I parsed this as "Dragons will eat a dwarf every two years". Which really, would be about the most dwarven pet you could get.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 08:09:34 pm »

I dig like this:
_wwww_wwww_
_wwww_wwww_
_wwww_wwww_
_wwww_wwww_
_wwww_wwww_
_____X_____
_wwww_wwww_
_wwww_wwww_
_wwww_wwww_
_wwww_wwww_
_wwww_wwww_

Since ore occurs in long veins, you don't really need to use too thorough a mining method.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 09:02:16 pm »

A stair every 5 squares? Or are those channels?
Feeling down? Click Here!

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 10:42:35 pm »

Walls I think. Or boxes, to maximize the interception.

My other exploration method is to sink a 2x2 stair, and use 2x11 shafts every other level.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 11:38:37 pm »

I channel whole level with about ten miners. Note that the context is my mod, in which miners are eternally dabble.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 11:50:34 pm »

Mineshaft dug seperate from my fortress. So that underground FUN can't path within fortress right off the bat

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 04:03:02 am »

I designate a series of long, one-tile wide shafts ten spaces apart. I don't give a crap about the aesthetics of my fort, I've got stuff to get done, dammit.

Generally, though, there's only one path to get from any point in my fort to any other point because I understand it speeds pathfinding (and also it's easier to corner goblins and beasts in case something gets past the traps.) If there's more than one way to get somewhere I build walls and/or floors until there isn't.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2012, 05:05:00 am »

Begin digging out fort.
No matter how valuable the material, exploratory mining isn't worth the damage done to my aesthetics.
I'm with this, combined with buying every single metal object off of every single caravan and melting them all down into bars in a single magma smelter that I keep busy melting 24/7.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Aleksander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2012, 12:29:42 pm »

I designate a series of long, one-tile wide shafts ten spaces apart. I don't give a crap about the aesthetics of my fort, I've got stuff to get done, dammit.

Generally, though, there's only one path to get from any point in my fort to any other point because I understand it speeds pathfinding (and also it's easier to corner goblins and beasts in case something gets past the traps.) If there's more than one way to get somewhere I build walls and/or floors until there isn't.

I do the same with mine. Works great for making 3x3 bedrooms.
Dragons will add an additional dwarf to their size for every two years after that

I know what you meant, but I parsed this as "Dragons will eat a dwarf every two years". Which really, would be about the most dwarven pet you could get.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2012, 01:19:10 pm »

Begin digging out fort.
I'm with this, combined with buying every single metal object off of every single caravan and melting them all down into bars in a single magma smelter that I keep busy melting 24/7.

Yep, don't forget about melting down all the invader armor/weapons as well. Was able to get several thousand bolts from all that copper they keep bringing.
Pages: [1] 2