Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Woo, optimisations!  (Read 2339 times)

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Woo, optimisations!
« on: January 14, 2012, 04:06:00 pm »

Quote from: Toady
I undertook some general optimization today

Hurrah! Slightly more frames every second!

Would anyone else be overjoyed to get a release that was just optimisations and bug fixes? I want my dungeon master back, dammit!
[Signature]

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Woo, optimisations!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 04:12:12 pm »

Basically a patch? :p

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 06:08:26 pm »

The point of these optimizations is mainly to get the upcoming version running as fast as the current version does, because new features generally slow the game down.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 06:29:51 pm »

Would anyone else be overjoyed to get a release that was just optimisations and bug fixes?

The current release cycle already includes those (assuming you're talking specifically about fixing long-standing issues). Toady's going to alternate between major feature updates and major bugfix updates; looking at the release notes, the last time the latter happened was in March of last year. He'll start working on that sort of thing some more after the DF2012 release.

Mind you they'll probably have a few new features too (mostly animals suggested by donators from the old sponsorship drive), but the main focus will be on fixing things that haven't worked quite right for a while.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 06:31:53 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

carebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 07:19:16 pm »

The point of these optimizations is mainly to get the upcoming version running as fast as the current version does, because new features generally slow the game down.
Exactly, I wouldn't expect it to run noticably faster. :P

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 08:39:46 pm »

:(
[Signature]

BoxOfAids

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 01:58:58 am »

GUYS

What if... there was a noble... that keeps your FPS tolerable, like it toggles an option to improve all the algorithms and stuff. As soon as they die, your FPS drops. So you must protect him absolutely, lest your fortress suffer an FPS death!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 03:19:01 am »

GUYS

What if... there was a noble... that keeps your FPS tolerable, like it toggles an option to improve all the algorithms and stuff. As soon as they die, your FPS drops. So you must protect him absolutely, lest your fortress suffer an FPS death!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The queen dwarf, causes your dwarves to use swarm AI and eats discarded clothing.

Tokeli

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh wow, mew
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 02:46:49 pm »

The queen dwarf, causes your dwarves to use swarm AI and eats discarded clothing.

Why stop there? Why not just have her eat idle dwarves and all of their belongings.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 05:45:04 pm »

Why stop there? Why not just have her eat idle dwarves and all of their belongings.

And eat all of their pets too. In fact, why not eat the whole game? No more lag now :D

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 06:00:09 pm »

I wonder if it would be possible to mod out every clothes-making material, and if it would create a highly-FPS-efficient Dwarven nudist colony? Has anyone ever tried doing everything in their power to increase FPS, just to see how many dwarves they could get on the map without slowing the game down at all?
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 06:08:19 pm »

You don't need to mod out clothes-making materials, just mod out the clothing items themselves.  Plenty of people have done things like that to cut down on clutter-lag; some tools like DFusion and them include shortcuts to help.
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
  • Sweet flaming monkey fire WHY are they doing that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 09:20:05 pm »

And eat all of their pets too. In fact, why not eat the whole game? No more lag now :D

Dwarf queen Is Cthulu! Ph'nglui Mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!