Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Will another DF release ever come out?  (Read 9462 times)

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
Re: Will another DF release ever come out?
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2012, 05:15:05 pm »

It's really been six months?
I sort of stopped caring years back so my sense of time when it comes to the eventual release of DNF(and the disappointment it turned out to be, for some people) is sort of screwed.

Then again, I can't remember any other game which has been under work for that long(although wasn't it canned at some point anyway).

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2012, 08:37:19 pm »

bah newbies 6 months is short for a release, yes we have had shorter release times but with df it comes in waves.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2012, 08:51:50 pm »

bah newbies 6 months is short for a release, yes we have had shorter release times but with df it comes in waves.

Tsunamis, really.  Just before...absolute silence.  Almost a drawback.  Everyone gets antsy about what's going on.  Then we get hit like you wouldn't believe.  Then the shockwaves start rolling in until another period of relative calm before the process repeats.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2012, 09:07:28 pm »

Tsunamis, really.  Just before...absolute silence.  Almost a drawback.  Everyone gets antsy about what's going on.  Then we get hit like you wouldn't believe.  Then the shockwaves start rolling in until another period of relative calm before the process repeats.

Or lumpy explosive diarrhea. There's the initial explosive release, then the following liquid draining (bugfix releases) and occasional lumps (feature releases).

Then you eat Taco Bell and the process starts all over again.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Charey Wolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2012, 12:44:50 am »

Then again, I can't remember any other game which has been under work for that long(although wasn't it canned at some point anyway).

Yes in fact the studio that was making DNF went under. Then Epic bought the remains and pushed it out the door as fast as they could to ride the name.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2012, 09:06:11 am »

Yes in fact the studio that was making DNF went under. Then Epic bought the remains and pushed it out the door as fast as they could to ride the name.

I think you might need to check your facts there.

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2012, 07:42:23 pm »

I think you might need to check your facts there.

Yeah, wasn't it gearbox? I was pretty disappointed considering how much I liked borderlands.

Back to df, from the sounds of it the release will ne fairly soon (unless toady adds more features)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2012, 10:23:07 pm »

I doubt he'll add any new features. All that's left is finishing the basic raws for the critters (one more day) , Baughn's two SDL fixes that have been on the bug tracker since May (probably another day, or possibly the same day as the critter raws), and probably some more optimization since he doesn't appear to be done with that yet (which could take Armok knows how long).

We'll be fighting weregroundhogs before Groundhog's Day, at any rate.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 10:25:04 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2012, 10:25:00 pm »

It's really been six months?
I sort of stopped caring years back so my sense of time when it comes to the eventual release of DNF(and the disappointment it turned out to be, for some people) is sort of screwed.

I thought I might mention, that in cycle-racing (and most likely almost every other form of racing where they care about this kind of thing, but cycling is my thing), "DNF" on result-sheets stands for "Did Not Finish", indicating that someone set off, but didn't complete the course.  Or properly do so, even if they got to the finish line.

So "DNF" was always an ominous acronym, to me.  Makes me wonder if our very own "DF" is a good omen, having lost the "Not" part, or whether the 'D' is just "Didn't"/"Doesn't" instead of "Did". :)

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2012, 11:29:04 pm »

Except Dwarf Fortress will never be finished. There'll always be something more...
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2012, 11:55:08 pm »

Arright, the critters are taking longer than I expected. My release date prediction still stands, though.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2012, 12:29:06 am »

"DNF" on result-sheets stands for "Did Not Finish", indicating that someone set off, but didn't complete the course.  Or properly do so, even if they got to the finish line.

So "DNF" was always an ominous acronym, to me.

I noticed the same thing when someone here mentioned a "DNF-spiral". I wondered, did he mean a Duke Nukem Forever -spiral, or Did Not Finish -spiral?

But they are (nearly) the same thing...

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Epithemius

• Bay Watcher
  • [AFTERTHOUGHT:100]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2012, 01:45:09 am »

Diablo 3. Damn you Blizzard, with your copious amounts of "polish". I mean, how shiny can one game get?

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2012, 03:02:41 am »

DF stands for "Do Finish, old chap", said while sporting a tophat, monocle and drinking tea with ones pinky extended.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2012, 07:09:57 am »

Ugh, Toady. You're such a tease...

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5