Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mud - The easy way  (Read 2266 times)

Alhash

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFFORTRESS_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
Mud - The easy way
« on: January 13, 2012, 08:14:18 pm »

Although this question has been asked enough times to fill an Elven forest full of magma (twice!)...

Is there any easy way to move mud around besides flooding your farm plots? By buckets perhaps?

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mud - The easy way
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 08:22:41 pm »

If you make either a channel above or channel down to an area you want as a farm plot you can designate it as a "pond" so dwarves will fill it with water... past that I don't think there is any way to "move" mud around.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 08:37:39 pm »

I like towers, when I want to have one level be a farm I have to muddy up the floor with no river or pond access. I build a scaffolding over the area where I want my farm and and designate EACH INDIVIDUAL SQUARE as a pit activty zone then use P->f to designate them each as ponds. After a dwarf throws a bucket into a square undesignate it. If you do it right they'll make mud on the exact squares you want in a safer and more versatile method than control flooding. You can designate the entire space as a pond all at once but only one dwarf will haul a bucket of water at a time and they'll probably pile it on one square.

Alhash

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFFORTRESS_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 08:41:20 pm »

I like towers, when I want to have one level be a farm I have to muddy up the floor with no river or pond access. I build a scaffolding over the area where I want my farm and and designate EACH INDIVIDUAL SQUARE as a pit activty zone then use P->f to designate them each as ponds. After a dwarf throws a bucket into a square undesignate it. If you do it right they'll make mud on the exact squares you want in a safer and more versatile method than control flooding. You can designate the entire space as a pond all at once but only one dwarf will haul a bucket of water at a time and they'll probably pile it on one square.

Genius! Thank you Broseph Stalin! I have yet to mess around with zones besides dumps and meeting areas. Thank you!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 02:55:04 am »

Still a pain to designate, if you do the math it's very easy to irrigate your stone without flooding the entire fortress.

[So flooding the fortress is inevitable :p]

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 03:33:03 am »

Still a pain to designate, if you do the math it's very easy to irrigate your stone without flooding the entire fortress.

[So flooding the fortress is inevitable :p]
I prefer it because it's so versatile. Putting a rooftop garden on your tower is pretty cool.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 09:37:49 am »

I make a gallery with one-square ponds just like Broseph, but leave them active for a longer time, flooding the entire area below to 1/1 water. Then I get rid of the pond zones, let the water down below evaporate, change the gallery into a complete floor, build a gallery above and start over. Greenhouse tower without having to watch every single hauler! If you don't mind the exploity nature of this^^

(The more zones you have, the more dwarves will be hauling water at once-one zone won't do)
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 11:44:57 am »

I prefer to just pump water to the top and then open hatches on opposing corners back to the drain underneath. Easy mud, very little hassle.

Azure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 07:06:14 pm »

Just excavate a sewer system below your fort and link floor hatches to a lever in an isolated tower to open it up. Flood away then drain. If your lazy just line up all your rooms, put a hole+hatch in a corner on each level and congrats! you can flood the whole fort in case of gobbo apocalypse. With enough entry points your sewer should be able to drain your fort rather quickly.

Tl;dr Just use a couple z-levels for mass drainage and flood away!

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 08:05:34 pm »

well here is my idea

X = flood gate
> = down stair
, = water
[ = wall

[[[
             [>[
      [[[[[[[X[[[[[
river,,,,X,,,,,X>[
      [[[[[[[X[[[[[
             [>[
             [[[[

the idea being that you pull a main lever to fill a small room with water and have each stair way lead to an area that you want to be filled with mud, so in the end you have complete control over the water. also this way if a man dwarf pulls 1 lever the place doesn't flood and the water can also be used for flood traps.
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Spirit of Power

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 03:44:31 pm »

I did the pond method, but that was too much trouble, so I said "Screw this, I'm doing this the DWARVEN way!" and used many water wheels, gear assemblies, and screw pumps to flood my farm plots.

It definitely took more resources and probably more time, but inefficient, slow, and twenty times more AWESOME is really the only way to go in DF.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 04:11:02 pm »

I did the pond method, but that was too much trouble, so I said "Screw this, I'm doing this the DWARVEN way!" and used many water wheels, gear assemblies, and screw pumps to flood my farm plots.

It definitely took more resources and probably more time, but inefficient, slow, and twenty times more AWESOME is really the only way to go in DF.

woot for dworfyness
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms