Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No wealth, but still so many ambushes?  (Read 1054 times)

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No wealth, but still so many ambushes?
« on: January 13, 2012, 09:37:26 am »

I've got a fort where I'm doing some mega constructions, and I'm not producing any kind of wealth at all. I'm in fact trading floodgates and hatch covers to caravans. The only thing that might be "wealthy" is that I have a substantial area of "sewer" floors smoothed so nothing grows on them.

For some reason I seem to get huge migrant waves. 20-30 at a time. I'm also getting ambushes. Why, though? I thought ambushes and migrants were affected by a fort's wealth?
Feeling down? Click Here!

ayoriceball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No wealth, but still so many ambushes?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 09:39:22 am »

I've got a fort where I'm doing some mega constructions, and I'm not producing any kind of wealth at all. I'm in fact trading floodgates and hatch covers to caravans. The only thing that might be "wealthy" is that I have a substantial area of "sewer" floors smoothed so nothing grows on them.

For some reason I seem to get huge migrant waves. 20-30 at a time. I'm also getting ambushes. Why, though? I thought ambushes and migrants were affected by a fort's wealth?

Check your wealth in the status screen. Do you remember how close your fort is to a goblin civilization?

Even though you may be selling items worth less than 100 value, it still adds up.
Don't dwarven ladies know they're beautiful the way they are? They don't need to starve themselves to look like those elven bitches.
"Tigermen are lazy and worthless... but not MY friend, Grroawarul."

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 09:50:49 am »

Have you a dorf with Appraisal skill? assign him as your broker so you can tell how rich you are.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 09:52:26 am »

What is the point at which my fort would be considered wealthy enough for all these ambushes (and huge migrant waves) I'm getting?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 10:32:17 am »

What is the point at which my fort would be considered wealthy enough for all these ambushes (and huge migrant waves) I'm getting?

~o.o~

I've always been under the impression that you always need more. No sieges? More wealth. No migrants? More wealth. Might have something to do with export wealth too.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 11:31:08 am »

20 pops and 100k wealth IIRC
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 02:09:42 pm »

Are your megaprojects giving you wealth, by any chance?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 02:11:35 pm »

You also might have a "curious structure" located underground. Those tend to add significant amounts of wealth to forts.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 02:12:51 pm »

You also might have a "curious structure" located underground. Those tend to add significant amounts of wealth to forts.
The discussion that ensues from this is always spoileriffic and fell :|

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 04:09:30 pm »

Megaprojects often mean lots of architectural value. So the goblins might be attracted by the castle/pump-helmet-statue/magma fountain you're building.
High quality steel weaponry are luxury items that tend to draw them, too.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 04:11:37 pm »

Also, there's an odd feature* that furniture placed in rooms can give you x3 their value to the fortress wealth, for being furniture, displayed wealth and contributing to room wealth.

*or bug

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 04:26:39 pm »

Are you turning rubble into blocks for your constructions? That increases fortress wealth more than just building regular walls.  Doubly so if you are using flux stones like dolomite. 

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 07:19:15 pm »

Hm, well my created wealth is over a 100k. Half of it is from "other objects", and the other half is from architecture and displayed.

And really the only things I've been making are booze, plump helmets, floodgates/hatches/grates/mechanisms and I smoothed the floors of a pretty big dig-out that's going to become my "sewers".

I also have over 50 engraved slabs because of all the dwarves that died in the ambush.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2012, 08:21:26 pm »

Mechanisms are very valuable (30), even more so then statues and slabs (25) A plain mechanism from plain rocks has value of 30. A masterwork mechanism from platinum have value of 14400, tripled if built in a room.
Plump helmets have value of 2. A stack of 2 plain plump helmet biscuit has value of 28 (10 for preparation quality and 4 for the 2 ordinary minced plump helmet)x2. A stack of 4 masterwork plump helmet roast has value of 864 (120 for preparation quality and 96 for the 4 masterwork minced plump helmet)x4. A stack of 360 masterwork elephant roast has value of 129600.

It's not exactly hard to get 100k wealth in vanilla
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 08:23:37 pm by rephikul »

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2012, 09:58:05 pm »

Smoothed floors crank up wealth a lot, actually.