Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: spells and a tutorial  (Read 1850 times)

joihnsonlee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
spells and a tutorial
« on: January 13, 2012, 07:01:48 am »

train dwarfs to use magic spells

research new spells

and make a tutorial

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
Re: spells and a tutorial
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 08:02:39 am »

This is a brilliantly well-thought-out suggestion, and i applaud you for explaining this totally original idea with such intricate detail. Bravo my good man, bravo.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 08:21:08 am »

Hey, I laughed, at least.
I guess a tutorial would be kinda cool... Although I wonder how many dozens (Hundreds?) of times it's been suggested before. :P
Of course, a DF tutorial would have to somehow work into the actual gameplay of starting a new fort, and as such zombie alligators could kindof cut the learning experience short. Best tutorial ever? Possibly.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 09:48:19 am »

Magic is frequently suggested. A tutorial is also frequently suggested.  Please search before posting, as stated in the rules at the top of the forum.

C27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 08:30:21 am »

Dwarves already have magic from the beginning, it's called steel. And there's even stronger magic available eventually... I don't see how some mumbling codgers in funny hats are going to be an improvement (especially since you can't mass-produce them).  If dwarves need more magic, let them discover greek fire and black powder.
Gold is for the mistress– silver for the maid–
Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.
‘Good!’ said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
‘But iron– cold iron– is ruler of them all’.

Aleksander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 04:44:58 pm »

I really don't want magic in DF. There are already thousands of DF tutorials.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 04:55:50 pm by Aleksander »
Dragons will add an additional dwarf to their size for every two years after that

I know what you meant, but I parsed this as "Dragons will eat a dwarf every two years". Which really, would be about the most dwarven pet you could get.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 12:26:40 am »

I really don't want magic in DF. There are already thousands of DF tutorials.
An in-game tutorial is what people are asking for, though.

And magic is already planned at some point (To my knowledge, some post-1.0 point), although it may be an optional thing. I think?
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Tai_MT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 06:37:25 pm »

Dwarves already have magic from the beginning, it's called steel. And there's even stronger magic available eventually... I don't see how some mumbling codgers in funny hats are going to be an improvement (especially since you can't mass-produce them).  If dwarves need more magic, let them discover greek fire and black powder.

We already have "greek fire".  Though they're commonly called "Demons".  Water doesn't even stop the ones on fire.  They burn forever!  And engulf everything they touch or look at!

We also already have "gunpowder".  At least...  As long as booze can still explode we do.

I wonder if it would be possible to use one exploding barrel of booze to fling another barrel of booze that could explode somewhere else.  You know, like the TNT cannons in Minecraft.  Epic.
Elves aren't environmentalists, they're the smartest businessmen ever created in Dwarf Fortress.  Think about it, the only plants they want you to use are the ones they supply.  They even go so far as to attack you for producing too much lumber of your own.  They're not hippies, they're violent businessmen!

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 06:40:51 pm »

We already have "greek fire".  Though they're commonly called "Demons".  Water doesn't even stop the ones on fire.  They burn forever!  And engulf everything they touch or look at!

We also already have "gunpowder".  At least...  As long as booze can still explode we do.

I wonder if it would be possible to use one exploding barrel of booze to fling another barrel of booze that could explode somewhere else.  You know, like the TNT cannons in Minecraft.  Epic.
\Booze does not explode.
I think magic rarity should be determined by the first praticioners: If they are greedy, they will horde it. If they are a bro, he will teach it to everyone.
Magic can lead to some unique combos, I wont dissmiss the idea unless its "LOLINSTAFIXSIEGE".
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Tai_MT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 06:51:49 pm »

\Booze does not explode.
I think magic rarity should be determined by the first praticioners: If they are greedy, they will horde it. If they are a bro, he will teach it to everyone.
Magic can lead to some unique combos, I wont dissmiss the idea unless its "LOLINSTAFIXSIEGE".

Booze doesn't explode anymore?  Too bad.  That could've been awesome.

As for magic...  I'm on the fence about it.  How would it even be used in the fortress to begin with?  Strictly combat?  If that's the case, you could likely get a noble (Court Wizard) to show up in order to teach squads how to practice it in combat.  Then, instead of assigning varying degrees of magic (like you do with weapons...  Bronze, Iron, Steel, etcetera) you would assign a TYPE of magic to practice in combat.  Perhaps "healing" Dwarves which could only heal a single dwarf at a time and would not defend themselves if attacked.  Perhaps Dwarves that cast elemental/syndrome attacks at varying times of casting (which would make you do the same thing with them that you currently do with Marksdwarves).  Cast times could be improved with skill in the art (which you could probably train at something similar to an archery range) or with the right clothing (simple cloth items would allow better movement, so they'd be able to cast faster).

The only other thing I could see doing with magic is perhaps "enchanting".  I've wanted "enchanting" for a while, though I know it would likely be pretty overpowered.  I'd suggest getting a "Noble" for this as well (perhaps the same court wizard) who would allow you to enchant things with learned spells.

I'd recommend you learn spells by purchasing them through trading.  Then you could have your Court Wizard immediately key in on the purchased spell and "consume" it like most dwarves do food or beverage.  It would take time to learn said spell, and the item would be consumed upon learning.  Or, perhaps a better method would be to make the spells required for a workshop.  If you want 10 Flaming Axes...  You'd need 10 "Flaming" spells to do the work.  Perhaps "masterwork" versions of enchanting would make the enchantments better than they were.

What I wonder is...  If we're going to introduce magic...  Are the ENEMIES going to have it as well?  If so...  Elves just got a LOT meaner and worse to fight.
Elves aren't environmentalists, they're the smartest businessmen ever created in Dwarf Fortress.  Think about it, the only plants they want you to use are the ones they supply.  They even go so far as to attack you for producing too much lumber of your own.  They're not hippies, they're violent businessmen!

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 07:18:37 pm »

\Booze does not explode.

Booze doesn't explode anymore?  Too bad.  That could've been awesome.

Booze never exploded in the first place, it only ever ignites (and still does).
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Tai_MT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 08:27:35 pm »

You don't say?  I used to read stories of people using it as "ignition fuel" for rocket ships.  But if it never exploded to begin with...  Well, then it kind of defeats the purpose.

Maybe it SHOULD explode.  It'd be awesome.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 10:13:31 pm »

Booze never exploded in the first place, it only ever ignites (and still does).

I haven't ever seen burning booze.  The behavior that people mistook for explosion was boiling -- the clouds of booze vapor can (at least in old versions) inflict burns on creatures.

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 10:18:47 pm »

As far as magic is concerned, we're already getting curses and necromancy next release, so... for the time-being, we're stuck with at least that much. Not that I'm complaining.
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 10:49:53 pm »

Hey you know what else you be cool? 3D Dwarf Fortress! Oh, and multiplayer, too!
Pages: [1] 2