Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military questions, artifacts, burrows, training bolts, my first megabeast.  (Read 446 times)

UnexpectedSalad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hi, some questions about the military. And one about a megabeast that is lurking in the caverns below my fortress.

I got lucky and have 1 artifact weapon, shield and a boot.

1. Champions and heroes, they can use artifacts right? is there a way to give these to one of my choice? I've got 4 at the moment and one is my militia commander. I'd like for him to use them if he can.

2. How do I make all my dwarfs stay indoors? there is no menu to make all civilians stay indoors anymore right? I have to use burrows instead? I think I know how to work with alerts and burrows and what not, but I'm curious if I'm missing the option somehow.

3. I've assigned 250 wooden bolts for training T and 250 iron bolts for combat C on my marksdwarf squad. They will only use the wooden for training and in actual combat will use the iron with these options enabled right?

4. In regards to training and sparring. I've got about 5 very well trained military dwarfs in charge of my squads. Now, the recruits that are put into the squads with absolutly no combat skills, do they only watch demonstrations before they have enough skill to actually sparr? is sparring superior to watching demonstrations?

5. I should put all my untrained dwarfs into a squad with one of my heroes/well trained dwarfs?

( I don't want to use the trick with the spike traps )

6. I think I recall reading somewhere that bronze is the best for shields? something about it being very dense or something? is there truth to this? I have the means and resources to make a very large amount of steel though.

7. The higher up a marksdwarf is in a tower, the lower his accuracy/damage?

8. Hammerdwarfs. As far as I can see they are very powerful. All my squads minus the marksdwarfs are hammer users. Is it work investing in a squad that uses a different type of weapon? or each half of a squad uses a different type?

9. Bridges. When placing one, I can only make it 10 or so tiles long. If I place another connected to it, will it actually be connected? or will I need to assign them both to seperate levers/use double the mechanisms on one lever?

10. MEGABEAST.

Alright, titan, forgotten beast, megabeast. Whatever it's called. It's in a cavern I've completely sealed off. It's made of STEEL.

STEEL. It's got a stinger and some other nasty sounding parts, but the bit about it being made of metal is what is worrying me.

A quarter of my military has steel weapons and armor, the rest is equipped with a mixture of iron, copper and bronze. Common sense tells me that hitting something very very large made COMPLETELY out of metal with metal isn't going to go super well.

So, I'm going to considering causing a cave in to kill it. I'm going to try figure it out on my own, but the general idea is to what? dig out a long passage, place supports along the passage, connect them to levers, channel out parts above it.

Breach the cavern and somehow lure the beast into my passage? then blow out the supports one by one while it makes its way down the hall? or blow them all out at once?

Maybe position my military around a bend past the passage if the collapses don't kill it?

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

1. Champions and heroes aren't in the game, any dwarf with legendary weapon skill will be allowed to use a artifact

2. Burrows are your friend

3. Probably unless they are caught with their wooden bolts, I don't think they change ammo very easily and tend to use it up then go back for the right ammunition

4. Sparring is better as it trains a lot. Watching demonstration relies on the teacher and student skill. If you have a good teacher he can teach a bunch of recruits quickly

5. You can and it's easy, a better thing would be to take your best 5 dwarfs and make 5 squads and give each one a recruit to train with. I usually do what you do as it's much easier to set up

6. Copper is best if I recall correctly. Shield material doesn't really matter as nothing will break through them

7. I don't know, but the higher up in a tower the lower the range.

8. Yes, hammerdwarfs are next to useless against some FBs and titans. You will want some spears and axes.

9. It will attach to it yes, but it won't retract when you will try to and it will fall.

10. Some good axes and spear dwarfs should be able to take it down. Hammer dwarfs will only bruise it. Remember that numbers are key but you need a few legendary dwarfs to lead the charge.

As for dropping a cave on top will be difficult as your guys will want to run away. but you can attach supports to mechanisms.
May the mass times acceleration be with you

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's an absurdly complex game. You'll have to learn parts of it by trial and error and reading the wiki:

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Main_Page

Hi, some questions about the military. And one about a megabeast that is lurking in the caverns below my fortress.

1. Champions and heroes, they can use artifacts right? is there a way to give these to one of my choice? I've got 4 at the moment and one is my militia commander. I'd like for him to use them if he can.

Go to the equipment screen and instead of individual choice - melee set him to use a specific weapon.

2. How do I make all my dwarfs stay indoors? there is no menu to make all civilians stay indoors anymore right? I have to use burrows instead? I think I know how to work with alerts and burrows and what not, but I'm curious if I'm missing the option somehow.

That's all there is. User-friendly it ain't.

3. I've assigned 250 wooden bolts for training T and 250 iron bolts for combat C on my marksdwarf squad. They will only use the wooden for training and in actual combat will use the iron with these options enabled right?

Assuming you have enough, yes. There are approximately one zillion things that can cause marksdwarves to fail to shoot though.

4. In regards to training and sparring. I've got about 5 very well trained military dwarfs in charge of my squads. Now, the recruits that are put into the squads with absolutly no combat skills, do they only watch demonstrations before they have enough skill to actually sparr? is sparring superior to watching demonstrations?

Sparring is superior, yes.

5. I should put all my untrained dwarfs into a squad with one of my heroes/well trained dwarfs?

... yes, sure. Everybody's gonna die anyway but that will delay the inevitable.

6. I think I recall reading somewhere that bronze is the best for shields? something about it being very dense or something? is there truth to this? I have the means and resources to make a very large amount of steel though.

Copper is the best for shields. BASH. The wiki has density tables.

Moving up one effectively puts them one square further away from the target. Unlike most games, shooting straight at enemies from their level is the best.

8. Hammerdwarfs. As far as I can see they are very powerful. All my squads minus the marksdwarfs are hammer users. Is it work investing in a squad that uses a different type of weapon? or each half of a squad uses a different type?

You'll learn why when you stumble upon something nastier than a goblin or a crundle. Hammers are only good against humanoids. Which weapons do you want? ALL OF THEM

9. Bridges. When placing one, I can only make it 10 or so tiles long. If I place another connected to it, will it actually be connected? or will I need to assign them both to seperate levers/use double the mechanisms on one lever?

Double the mechanisms on one lever...

10. MEGABEAST.

Speaking of things nastier than crundles, your metallic houseguest is one of those things. Marksdwarves will usually just chip such a beast and hammers will only dent it slightly. Axes and spears of an equal material will eventually wear it down.

You can position a forgotten beast using the fact that they're attracted to furniture and try to knock it over. That's your cue to drop a large section of constructed floor on their general area.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

1. Getting Dwarves to equip artefacts is very annoying, though I have found a Dwarf of mine equip an artefact red cloak..... I suppose you could specify a specific weapon with the specific weapon option, though armour is pretty much first nab, first use basis.

2. Yup use burrows. That IS your menu to keep them inside.

3. They will use whatever bolts available. Preferencing iron. But say, an Elf ambush happens in your firing range, wooden bolt firefight right there :P

4. Demonstrations with large squads of new recruits trains them quickly, but by the time they're adequate in their fighting skills you should disband them and put them into squads of 3, set to train for 2. This is very good for sparring, and yes, in skilled squads, sparring overtakes demonstrations very quickly.

5. Up to you. Do you want an elite squad training by themselves, or a lot of adequate recruits? It's all down to your play style ;)

6. Copper is the best material for shields, on the account that it's the densest armour grades material, so on the occasion that a Dorf uses it to strike skulls in, it'll actually do damage.

7. Accuracy and Damage is based off their archery and marksdwarfship.

8. Hammerdorfs are very powerful against humanoids. Smashy smash smash.
Try raising a squad of swordsdorfs, axedorfs and of course spear dorfs. If you have a professional military that covers all needs for war, you'll do fine.

9. Don't know quite what you mean.

10. NO DON'T KILL IT - YOU HAVE GOTTEN A STEEL FB!!!!!!

Weaponize. This is now your FTW button.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

10. MEGABEAST.

Alright, titan, forgotten beast, megabeast. Whatever it's called. It's in a cavern I've completely sealed off. It's made of STEEL.

STEEL. It's got a stinger and some other nasty sounding parts, but the bit about it being made of metal is what is worrying me.

A quarter of my military has steel weapons and armor, the rest is equipped with a mixture of iron, copper and bronze. Common sense tells me that hitting something very very large made COMPLETELY out of metal with metal isn't going to go super well.

So, I'm going to considering causing a cave in to kill it. I'm going to try figure it out on my own, but the general idea is to what? dig out a long passage, place supports along the passage, connect them to levers, channel out parts above it.

Breach the cavern and somehow lure the beast into my passage? then blow out the supports one by one while it makes its way down the hall? or blow them all out at once?

Maybe position my military around a bend past the passage if the collapses don't kill it?

1 = yes
2 = yes, burrows, or you could just make your fort entirely inaccessible. I usually make an airlock system so I can move the military into it, then lock them in it, then let the invaders in the airlock.
3 = it was buggy at one point, but it might work now. Just remember, that means that they will go all the way to the ammo stockpile before even beginning to head towards any station or kill order.
4 = sparring > demonstrations
5 = dwarves will start sparring when their defensive abilities are roughly similar, but I think they need a certain amount of skill in weapon skills before they spar at all, maybe 3? If you just put a bunch of millers and peasants in a group they sit and do individual combat drills for months. Demonstrations are >>>>>>>>> individual combat drills, so it's probably best to put them with one dwarf who has some 3-5 combat skills so he can teach them a bit witout having to wait forever to spar himself.
6 = The reason that people usually use bronze for shields is that it is significantly denser than steel, which helps shield bashes do more damage. In my opinion this isn't worth the risk, but do what you want.
7 = Being higher up does not increase effective range or accuracy, no. Distance from shooter to target is the only relevant factor I know of.
8 = Ideally you want at least 3 groups, axedwarves, hammerdwarves, and speardwarves. I like to put sworddwarves in as well, because they act like a mix between axe and spear. Each is useful in certain situations, and has advantages/disadvantages, except for lashes, which have all advantages and zero disadvantages, and work amazingly well no matter what material they are made out of. Axedwarves hack off limbs easily, but only inflict shallow wounds that can't kill extremely large/bizarre creatures like FBs and the occasional demon. Hammerdwarves wreak havoc on anything with a skeletal system and many things that don't, and completely ignore armor, however they also only inflict shallow wounds that can't finish off extremely large/thick enemies, material enemies, and enemies that don't have/need blood. Speardwarves inflict deep, thin wounds that *can* instantly kill anything the spear can penetrate by destroying the brain, heart, arteries, etc., however they are just as likely to make 50 flesh wounds that amount to nothing and slowly bleed a target to death(obviously dependant on skill, a legendary speardwarf can motor through enemies about as fast as a hammerdwarf, but is more likely to get caught on shitty RNG). They are best when dealing with material based enemies like #10.
9 = all bridges operate independently of one another. you can't build a second bridge on a bridge, and two bridges next to each other don't operate together. You can link multiple bridges to one level and affect them all at once though.
10 = as I said before, your best bet is a good speardwarf with a steel spear that has a decent quality modifier on it(important!). Yeah, it's made out of steel, however that only amounts to no quality steel armor in regards to penetration. Axedwarves with good steel axes can still cut it, and speardwarves can still stab through it. Hammerdwarves can not kill it at all no matter what, due to it having no blood or weak target organs like the head/brain, however they can fatigue it and knock it unconscious by wailing on it to buy your other guys some time to land that lucky fatal hit. If you have no speardwarves, axedwarves with good steel axes will be able to decapitate it or separate the upper body from the lower body, but it requires really lucky hits, not something that usually happens on the first few swings. Honestly your best bet for killing it(if you plan to do so) is to just send everyone at it all at once and fatigue it with the nonstop attacks, and hope the stings don't have some awful contagious face melting poison.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]