Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Art Listing/Gallery  (Read 633 times)

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Art Listing/Gallery
« on: January 12, 2012, 09:05:34 pm »

A menu screen (possibly an extension of the Artifacts screen, or as a status sub-menu) that lists all engravings in the fortress. You can sort by creation date, title, and engraver, and also zoom to the location and the engraver (if alive). Possibly can include decorated items as well.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Art Listing/Gallery
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 09:09:56 pm »

That is pretty much the art section in legends mode.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 09:29:52 pm »

Oh yeah. That being available in fortress mode.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 01:00:38 am »

You do realise just how many engravings the average fort has? I'd pity any who would make a fort underground :p

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 07:44:33 pm »

I'd want them only in the Artifact menu, if they were Artifact statues.  Otherwise, make a new category for just Art somewhere in the d sub menus.  Its not all that important to me, what the engravings say, as it is to their quality.  So also make it filterable, so all the junky engravings can be highlighted for removal and renovation of new hallways.  That would be a great advantage to my gameplay.  I often find awful engravings, in high traffic areas, that disturb me and my dorf, incredibly so.

Sincerely,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 06:40:10 am »

Why not an "Art" menu with all the masterwork statues and engravings?
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 02:22:37 pm »

Why not an "Art" menu with all the masterwork statues and engravings?

This would be a better idea, though there'd have to be some criteria, like only built masterwork items / ones designated as such, otherwise mature forts would be cluttered with them.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 12:08:49 am »

I'd rally behind that.  As long as 'named' items stayed in the artifact menu, on the main tree.  The Art went in somewhere else, not off the root.  Art and Artifact are easy for dumb folks like me to confuse.  I wouldn't want them chooses in the same menu.  However Art in and of itself, elsewhere, would be splendid.  Maybe add anything that has a unique description, even figurines, in the event future designs include them somehow for more than a trade item.

Sincerely,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 12:03:46 pm »

Or even specific items made for artistic purposes? :p

This is a crudely drawn portrait of cheese in dimple cup ink.

Tai_MT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 06:41:33 pm »

I like the idea of being able to see the "Masterwork" items in some menu of some kind.  I don't care about being able to see which engravings are/are not in my fortress however.  The game is kind enough to pop up a prompt that says, "Urist McMoneymakingtask has created a masterpiece!".  We should at least be able to pop up a menu to see what it is if we so desire.  Otherwise...  Why bother informing us of the masterpiece to begin with?
Elves aren't environmentalists, they're the smartest businessmen ever created in Dwarf Fortress.  Think about it, the only plants they want you to use are the ones they supply.  They even go so far as to attack you for producing too much lumber of your own.  They're not hippies, they're violent businessmen!