Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Disabling the Collosus of Bronze  (Read 2933 times)

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
Re: Disabling the Collosus of Bronze
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2012, 07:08:39 pm »

maybe colossi could have a "heart" and/or "brain" made of metal (something semi-weak. Maybe even bronze) that could be lethal if stabbed strongly enough.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2012, 10:06:01 pm »

a few mods added a 'soul gem' or 'life crystal' or 'insert stereotypical rpg plot device here' to a bronze colossi's head

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 08:13:03 am »

a few mods added a 'soul gem' or 'life crystal' or 'insert stereotypical rpg plot device here' to a bronze colossi's head

Ehhh it isn't THAT far ingrained in RPGs. I believe the original Golems had a scroll of sorcery inside them that brought them to life that I guess would kill them if destroyed.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2012, 03:47:53 pm »

The original golem myth had a piece of parchment with God's name written on it placed in the golem's mouth, if I recall.  Alternatively, it was written on the golem's forehead or something.  Disabling the golem became a matter of erasing the word or removing the parchment.

All said though, I'm against the idea of doing this for the bronze colossus.  That's its entire point: hard to kill because it has no vulnerable points.

Although I do wonder why severing the head kills it.  It probably shouldn't...
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2012, 08:21:42 pm »

Although I do wonder why severing the head kills it.  It probably shouldn't...

Then how would we kill it? If the head wasn't central to the survival of the colossus, what would be? Just the torso? Would we have to sever both legs, the arms, and the head to kill it?

I think the way things are make the colossus challenging and scary, but not something you'd need to build an elaborate deathtrap to be capable of putting it down.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2012, 02:58:18 am »

Not sure really, but if it doesn't have a brain... why is the head even important?

Honestly an HP system makes as much sense as anything else for something like a bronze colossus.  Still tracking missing body parts of course, because that's relevant.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2012, 01:41:23 pm »

I do however somewhat support the idea of killing some creatures without vitals simply from shock. At least in the case of modding.

For creatures who basically hold themselves together purely from strength of will or enchantments that can be shaken loose by damage.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2012, 01:45:00 pm »

a headless bronze collosi would be about as dangerous as a dead one. so i think that's why beheading kills it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2012, 01:46:28 pm »

a headless bronze collosi would be about as dangerous as a dead one. so i think that's why beheading kills it.

It could be because its programming is inside the head.

Mind you a Headless Bronze Collosus would still be quite dangerous. At its size and strength kicking dirt at you could kill you.

Just that the game doesn't QUITE handle huge creatures as anything more then exceptionally strong combatants.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 01:48:54 pm by Neonivek »

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2012, 02:21:27 pm »

yeah.. im gonna be scared once toady gets size implemented properly, than cutting off their heads gonna be a bitch.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2012, 02:54:10 pm »

Oh man, the day Colossi are only killable by total dismemberment or cave ins... :3

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2012, 12:53:20 am »

yeah.. im gonna be scared once toady gets size implemented properly, than cutting off their heads gonna be a bitch.
It's already implemented with relative accuracy. For example, a war hammer is only going to bruise an elephant's leg but will totally crush a kobold's.

And last I checked, I made my bronze colossi self-regenerate quickly, making him impervious to anything short of a 1-hit-wonder. He consistently win the all-creature, free-for-all championship, depending whether he get lucky with dragonfire. Without any scratches. I like 'em white menu items.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 01:10:20 am by rephikul »
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2012, 08:49:45 pm »

And last I checked, I made my bronze colossi self-regenerate quickly, making him impervious to anything short of a 1-hit-wonder.

That's scary as hell man.
Pages: 1 [2]