Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Least favorite types of stone.  (Read 10561 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Least favorite types of stone.
« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2012, 12:09:24 am »

I dislike yellow and brown stones, no matter what the unfortunate implication is. Too many brown stones, and Orthoclase is too dull a yellow for my personal tastes. Also not fond of rock salt.

I love marble and currently have a fort made from a huge mound of marble buried under fucktons of sand and clay. Just imagining the humans as they see all the marble doors, atom-smashers, statues and the like, they fall to their knees in tears.... I also live petrified wood and wish there was more of it: Them tree huggers must be so disheartened when trees reject them and favor being dwarfy...

And I'm all for the use of pitchblende as depleted uranium munitions. Picturing invaders watching their friends melting and them being rendered sterile is just too damn good...

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2012, 12:18:07 am »

I like all stones personally. All of them. I don't care how rainbow my fort looks with Microcline, Orthoclase, Cinnabar, Mudstone, Olivine and so forth. Colors give some flavor, which I'm not adverse to. Bring on the colors! All of them!
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2012, 12:23:49 am »

I like all stones personally. All of them. I don't care how rainbow my fort looks with Microcline, Orthoclase, Cinnabar, Mudstone, Olivine and so forth. Colors give some flavor, which I'm not adverse to. Bring on the colors! All of them!

Rainbows could mean hippy.
Hippy means elf.
Elves must be sterilized.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2012, 12:39:39 am »

You know, dwarves are children of the earth, right?

And you're calling the earth an elf, right?

So you're calling dwarves children of the elves!

HAH! DIDN'T SEE THAT COMING DID YOU? :P

But really, I couldn't care less about trees. Maybe for decoration, or something. But they're usually just materials otherwise in my eyes.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2012, 03:40:38 am »

I dislike any non-flux/iron producing/coal/candy stone, simple!

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2012, 05:37:34 am »

I'm fine with almost all stone.
Almost.
FUCK GRANITE.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2012, 05:59:37 am »

...What's wrong with Granite?

albatross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2012, 06:48:52 am »

Microcline. It's that bright annoying cyan color that irritates the elf out of me, and I don't even know why.

And then there's obsidian. As nice as it looks, it can't be used to build walls or anything useful for that matter, like doors, floors, hatches or mechanisms. It's just piling up in my fort. Probably good ammo for catapults. Haven't tried, but I wouldn't be surprised if its use in catapults wasn't allowed... what the hell, DF? Y u no allow the use of obsidian ?!

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2012, 06:57:41 am »

Microcline. It's that bright annoying cyan color that irritates the elf out of me, and I don't even know why.

And then there's obsidian. As nice as it looks, it can't be used to build walls or anything useful for that matter, like doors, floors, hatches or mechanisms. It's just piling up in my fort. Probably good ammo for catapults. Haven't tried, but I wouldn't be surprised if its use in catapults wasn't allowed... what the hell, DF? Y u no allow the use of obsidian ?!

Pssst, z menu -> stone -> find obsidian and make it green.  Dwarves will use it like any other rock then.

My least favorite stone  has to be the brown and useless grey ones.  Mudstone, ew.  And I don't mind gabbro or granite (gabbro means platinum and diamonds!), but things like phyllite?  Yeah, that shit goes into the atom smasher.

I like colorful stones, though, yes, even the dreaded microcline.  It makes for a better viewing experience than endless dull grey.

albatross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2012, 08:20:40 am »

Pssst, z menu -> stone -> find obsidian and make it green.  Dwarves will use it like any other rock then.
Brb, stabbing myself in the guts with a wooden katana.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2012, 08:37:24 am »

...What's wrong with Granite?
For some reason, I keep confusing the damn thing with marble when I check lists.
It is also extremely mundane and easy to find IRL, not particularly remarkable, and, bleh, I just don't like granite.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2012, 08:49:38 am »

I like all kinds of rocks. Maybe I'm just too lazy to sort out where I'm gonna build my fort, but I don't mind making bedrooms amidst lead and coal.

But no rope or wood, God no. Wood is for making beds (so dwarves can sleep and drool over what the elves love) and ropes are for wusses. Urist McMandernonfulfiller? You're getting iron chains!
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2012, 09:05:08 am »

Don't like puddingstone.
Also: chert because it really ought to be elegible for weapons but isn't.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2012, 09:19:00 am »

Every time I see Gabbro, I end up digging out the entire layer in a vain attempt at finding diamond-rich kimberlite deposits. I never find them.

However, slade is my best friend.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2012, 10:36:01 am »

Don't like puddingstone.
Also: chert because it really ought to be elegible for weapons but isn't.

Not all chert is actual chert though. Many people claim winterset as being chert also, which is bugger-all useless for knapping. Smething to do with being the same chemical composition, but a different crystal growth, if I recall right. Will have to look it up.

What peeves me off, is that hard fired kaolin, fired to vitrifaction, makes premo knapping material. Broken ceramic toilets make awesome knapped blades, well on par with obsidian. No toilets in df, but there are kaolinite deposits, and kilns. I don't want to have to make a custom kaolin material, and a custom reaction to get white stone shortswords, it should already be an option.

I already voiced orthoclase as my least favorite stone earlier in the thread, and I stand behind it. Maybe I am biased against it, but it always seems that the more boneheaded haulerdwarves are going after orthoclase when they do said bone-headed thing, like pick up the orthoclase when trying to outrun magma, or when rushing headfirst into a FB I am trying to seal off between artifact floodgates... always a damn chunk of orthoclase. :(
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6