Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Least favorite types of stone.  (Read 10559 times)

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Least favorite types of stone.
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2012, 05:14:19 pm »

Bauxite & Pitchblende

Because I know what you really are.

At least I can amuse myself catapulting Pitchblende at goblins with a catapult though. Depleted Uranium rounds, ho!

yes it amazes me how several stone types in dwarf fortress would actually be/once were radioactive. (hopefully radiation never gets added!)

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2012, 05:29:03 pm »

Mudstone - it's just so sodding abundant. There's like a thousand layers of the stuff, everywhere.
I used to hate microcline, but I don't mind it now that the colour has been toned down. It used to such a horrific bright blue...

CaptainBadwheel

• Bay Watcher
  • Either a Doomsday Device or an Ice Cream maker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2012, 06:04:12 pm »

Bauxite & Pitchblende

At least I can amuse myself catapulting Pitchblende at goblins with a catapult though. Depleted Uranium rounds, ho!

yes it amazes me how several stone types in dwarf fortress would actually be/once were radioactive. (hopefully radiation never gets added!)

I wonder if there is a mod that puts in a couple more workshops so that you can refine pitchblende into yellowcake and then into weapons grade uranium/plutonium opening up a new tech-tree where you can build an entire family of nuclear devices. Reactors, special ballista arrowheads, special catapult ammo, tritium based glow-in-the-dark toys, an atomic or thermonuclear explosive that you can set up on the surface and annihilate sieges with; the only problem being you have to keep your dwarves inside until the fallout and radiation goes away.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2012, 06:10:45 pm »

Bauxite & Pitchblende

I wonder if there is a mod that puts in a couple more workshops so that you can refine pitchblende into yellowcake and then into weapons grade uranium/plutonium opening up a new tech-tree where you can build an entire family of nuclear devices. Reactors, special ballista arrowheads, special catapult ammo, tritium based glow-in-the-dark toys, an atomic or thermonuclear explosive that you can set up on the surface and annihilate sieges with; the only problem being you have to keep your dwarves inside until the fallout and radiation goes away.

we already have tree splintering wooden ballista bolts, we make reactors that give unlimited energy from water, glow-in-the-dark toys would be cool, and did you forget catsplosions.
see we dont need nuclear grade items when we weaponize everyday things.

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2012, 06:16:14 pm »

Hematite and limonite.
Damned crap gets everywhere and makes the game too easy.

CaptainBadwheel

• Bay Watcher
  • Either a Doomsday Device or an Ice Cream maker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2012, 06:24:38 pm »

Hematite and limonite.

As apposed to Magnetite which can encompass almost an entire stone layer.

eataTREE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2012, 07:25:38 pm »

Mudstone, siltstone, chalk, rock salt. Oh yes here is my mighty fortress of salt, hope the goblins don't have a bucket of water handy.

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2012, 07:38:09 pm »

Hematite and limonite.

As apposed to Magnetite which can encompass almost an entire stone layer.

Pff. Give me a solid layer of stone over economic carp any day.

Elifre

• Bay Watcher
  • Elifre mutters "Project A.R.M.O.K. needs dorfs..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2012, 08:44:21 pm »

Why do people hate chalk? It's a flux stone, which means it can be used for steel.

Dolomite, chalk, limestone, marble, and calcite = flux.
All hail the mighty Project A.R.M.O.K.!
Applejack is the worst pony, Loud Whispers.
Quote from: Elifre
Fear the mighty lungfish!
DEAR ARMOK THE TURKEYS ARE HATCHING!
There is no problem that cannot be solved with the liberal application of magma.
FOR !!SCIENCE!!

NinjaDude

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2012, 10:23:15 pm »

Microcline and cobaltite are tied for me. I use Mayday, so microcline is just an eyesore, and colbaltite always gets my hopes up for some kind of ore :(

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2012, 11:12:07 pm »

Bauxite & Pitchblende

Where's the fun in that?  Make pitchblende crap and sell it to the elves so they can die of radiation poisoning!  Actually it would be cool if such side affects were also added to galena and cinnabar products too -- hit the elves with lead, mercury, and radiation poisoning.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2012, 11:14:40 pm »

I HATE Garnierite, Galena, Sphalerite, and CINNABAR. I swear, I see a vain of red ore and go OOOoo... hematite... wait... FUCK MORE FUCKING CINNABAR. The other metal's I hate cuz there useless but cinnabar just pisses me off. I'm fine with microline and cobaltite but cinnabar  just slashes my hopes of iron with a happy little smirk. Damn cinnabar... I'd send it all to rot in HFS if I had the chance.
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

C27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2012, 11:18:48 pm »

Modding note: Cinnabar would be useful for making both vermilion dye and mercury.
Those other ores are all useful. I actually like the brightly colored stones for color-coding levers, mechanisms, and the like.

Gold is for the mistress– silver for the maid–
Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.
‘Good!’ said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
‘But iron– cold iron– is ruler of them all’.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2012, 11:21:50 pm »

I just don't like useless metal and useless ores.
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2012, 12:08:34 am »

Brown stones. They look like total...

8)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 12:11:27 am by JoshBrickstien »
Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6