Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Least favorite types of stone.  (Read 10696 times)

Lordraymond

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
    • View Profile
Re: Least favorite types of stone.
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2012, 06:28:12 pm »

Pretty much anything not grayscale or some other natural color like even brown. I hate having alternating cyan and flamboyant yellow buildings...
The question is: how do you profaine a temple dedicated to pure greed?
Give a donation.

dragginmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2012, 08:08:58 pm »

Anything non magma safe

Alhash

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFFORTRESS_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2012, 08:30:59 pm »

Slate is probably one of my favorites, for it's color. I quite like the earthy colors too.

My least favorite is Chalk. Useless non-magma safe crap. I quite Mircoline though - good for statues and thrones.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2012, 08:43:23 pm »

Marble, because it makes it more difficult to find useful sedimentary flux stones.

LARD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2012, 09:49:55 pm »

I concur with Captain badwheel. I hate schist and mudstone but like olivine and microcline because they make a colourful fort.
Obama is not middle eastern pacifist who gave out free health care, You're thinking of Jesus

Quote from: God
Nietzsche is dead and I killed him
Quote from: Douglas Adams
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2012, 03:45:36 am »

Chert and mudstone, at least. The brown and yellow stuff in general. Microcline and orthoclase used to be, since in the older version of DF they used to be marked "economic" stones by default and I'd not learned how to toggle that yet.

I quite like olivine and jet. A black fort with dark green higlights looks rather menacing. Bauxite is the best, of course, and kaolinite and cinnabar are fine too.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Elf Lover

• Bay Watcher
  • AAA
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2012, 04:28:11 am »

Most definitely mudstone. It's stone, made of mud...

My favourite would have to be microcline. Make hallways of the stuff, then watch the amazing patterns of blood on blue.
Every Dwarf Fortress Fort is a concentration camp, only without the nazis.

pivole

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:gut-rotting brews]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2012, 08:33:00 am »

Shale, mudstone and siltstone. Just because of the names. Behold, Mightybitches! An impenetrable fortress of silt.

Also, cinnabar, cobaltite, and petrified wood. Foul colours.
For glory, Godde and gold in the Virginia Company!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2012, 10:51:42 am »

I dont have any least favorite stones (mayby brown stones, idk) but my favorite would certainly be everything grey.
Especially since i found out that microline looks like fossil seeds in phoebus.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2012, 11:45:41 am »

I don't like orthoclase.  It's boring, and I'm not a big fan of yellow.

I don't mind the earthy brown stones.  I do like microcline, and it's much prettier in real life.  Plus, one of my favorite stones--amazonite--is found in microcline irl, or if you have Dig Deeper.

I absolutely hate talc and rock salt. 
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Jimmy T. Malice

• Bay Watcher
  • The severed part sails off in an arc!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2012, 11:50:02 am »

I like to think that using microcline for dwarves' rooms tricks them into thinking that they're made of adamantine.
Urist McDorf cancels Pull lever: not that bloody stupid

Vharuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2012, 11:58:35 am »

I currently hate mica, as it looks the same as tetrahedrite in Ironhand and gets my hopes up.

mdqp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2012, 12:00:45 pm »

I sincerely hate microcline, but other than that I am fine with whatever is available. I can't stand it when I find out that I dug out a zone that is in the middle of two kind of stones, as I like my fortress to be one-color... It never happens, in the end.  >:( I should probably consider casting obsidian, but I am way too lazy to do that.

Gr33kjester

• Bay Watcher
  • Marxism - For those who VALUE their Booze...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2012, 12:05:24 pm »

... I like Mudstone ...
I personally hate Siltstone, the ASCII tile thing for it is horrible and it makes horrible things...
This is an enscribed adamantine dwarf-leg hammer.  All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes OF SHEER AWESOMENESS.

Koremu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2012, 02:45:44 pm »

Bauxite & Pitchblende

Because I know what you really are.

At least I can amuse myself catapulting Pitchblende at goblins with a catapult though. Depleted Uranium rounds, ho!
It's a dwarf.  Their natural habitat is "trapped on the wrong side of a wall".

Flinging children halfway across the map to land in magma is good, wholesome fun, but extramarital reproduction?  Why, that's just unseemly!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6