Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What to do with/do to army dwarves with permanent Fevers?  (Read 495 times)

flamoot

• Bay Watcher
  • Jack was a Legomaniac.
    • View Profile
    • ansistego
What to do with/do to army dwarves with permanent Fevers?
« on: January 12, 2012, 12:27:03 pm »

I got hit by forgotten beast venom and it turned half my army feverish. In Wounds they show Fever. After a year it hadn't gone away (though it wasn't contagious) so I submitted a bug, http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=5017 , where I was told that permanent venom effects is intentional. So here's my question.

What do I do with the up-to-ten dwarves I've got flashing red X's for the whole last year? Is Fever really bad? What does it do? Does anyone know?

If nothing can heal them, should I kill them? How? I could put them all in their own squad and arrange an engineering accident. Or maybe I should put them in a new squad I use much more aggressively than my existing ones, "not caring" if any from that one get killed. That seems like the best idea I've had yet. This has only been happening since yesterday.
Oh, someone finally died of thirst

Jack was a Legomaniac. Then they treated him with Thorazine. Now all he does is watch TV

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What to do with/do to army dwarves with permanent Fevers?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 01:53:55 pm »

If they're not laying in hospital beds, not contagious, and fully able to perform military duties, why don't you just leave them where they are? They'll all eventually die somehow or another.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 02:03:46 pm »

The wiki claims that fever is mostly harmless, reducing ability to focus and causing stunning at higher intensities. I suspect that that basically just means that it's an effective skill penalty across the board. If your soldiers are badass enough, they should be capable of fighting off anything despite it. I mean, I've had a soldier who was completely and permanently blind solo sieges of creatures far tougher than goblins, and that's surely a more critical affliction than mere feverishness.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 02:27:59 pm »

I currently have a similar situation.  Somewhere around thirty of my dwarves were exposed to a pool of FB extract before I noticed it and got it covered up.  Now they're all feverish and most of them vomit constantly.  Also, bizarrely, they all have heavy bruising on their feet.  The only real consequences are a constant patina of green all over my fortress, along with drastically slowed movement for the afflicted.  I'm not sure if that's due to the vomiting, but it is slightly annoying.  Other than that, though, they're all fine.  I had a few check in to the hospital, pass out on the beds, then get up and leave as soon as the medical staff told them they were fine.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 01:17:19 am »

The wiki claims that fever is mostly harmless, reducing ability to focus and causing stunning at higher intensities. I suspect that that basically just means that it's an effective skill penalty across the board. If your soldiers are badass enough, they should be capable of fighting off anything despite it. I mean, I've had a soldier who was completely and permanently blind solo sieges of creatures far tougher than goblins, and that's surely a more critical affliction than mere feverishness.

Contrary to popular belief, no. Not having eyes is one of the best thing you can do for military Dorfs. So you actually had an advantage, as opposed to a fever muddling things up.

ALWAYS REMOVE EYEBALLS.