Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: "Cleaning"  (Read 1967 times)

flamoot

• Bay Watcher
  • Jack was a Legomaniac.
    • View Profile
    • ansistego
"Cleaning"
« on: January 12, 2012, 12:09:49 pm »

From Udib & Tun thread, reproduced here as a question to those who know

I didn't realize my captain of the guard was a girl

The Troglodyte punched The captain of the guard in the right upper arm with
his right hand, bruising the muscle through the X(pig tail fiber cloak)X! 

The captain of the guard slashes The Troglodyte in the right upper leg with
her *copper short sword*, tearing apart the muscle!

Many nerves have been severed!

And providing a splash of blood on a nearby wall. Will a dwarf with
'cleaning' enabled get rid of that? Or does it go away on its own? Or does
it last forever?

Anyone
Oh, someone finally died of thirst

Jack was a Legomaniac. Then they treated him with Thorazine. Now all he does is watch TV

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Cleaning"
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 01:19:47 pm »

pretty much lasts forever.

flamoot

• Bay Watcher
  • Jack was a Legomaniac.
    • View Profile
    • ansistego
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 01:22:51 pm »

Then what's Cleaning do and when do they do it?

Jack was a Legomaniac. Then they treated him with Thorazine. Now all he does is watch TV

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 01:24:40 pm »

not often.  They will clean floors, not sure about walls, but most dwarves would rather have no job than clean.

filthy little bastards.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 01:26:36 pm »

if the dirty tile is indoor and NOT mud, dirt or sand, a dwarf with cleaning enabled will go get a bar of soap and clean it. no soap, no cleaning.

I like to take 2 dwarves and just make them do cleaning, so no one else in the fort has to fuck with it.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

flamoot

• Bay Watcher
  • Jack was a Legomaniac.
    • View Profile
    • ansistego
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 01:45:49 pm »

Like how I dedicate nurses now is the only way I can get patients fed. Dedicated cleaners, I get it, except my soap stocks are vanishing since I ran out of jugs for oil and couldn't figure out what was wrong with my pressers for months, now I've switched to using tallow my army has rung up (something's wrong with my hunters) and anyway I'm very concerned about anything that might consume my soap ATM.

So I'm glad cleaning is rare. They do clean -themselves- pretty often though and I'm pretty sure that's where my soap went. I had > 40 at one point. Now I have like, three

So hopefully no-one -does- clean

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 01:50:36 pm »

The cleaning job is triggered by a contamination - blood, mud, vomit, forgotten beast extract, etc - on a smoothed or constructed floor indoors.  Contamination on walls does not trigger the cleaning job, since a dwarf needs to stand in a the square with the contamination that is triggering the job, and wall squares can't be stood in.  However, I have heard it claimed (but haven't verified myself) that when a dwarf performs the cleaning job, they will also clean any contamination in squares adjacent to the square they're cleaning, so if a dwarf cleans a floor he will also clean up any contamination on walls right next to the floor.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 02:16:12 pm »

if the dirty tile is indoor and NOT mud, dirt or sand, a dwarf with cleaning enabled will go get a bar of soap and clean it. no soap, no cleaning.
Movie or it didn't happen - dwarves only use soap to clean themselves (or their patients), not the fortress.

However, I have heard it claimed (but haven't verified myself) that when a dwarf performs the cleaning job, they will also clean any contamination in squares adjacent to the square they're cleaning, so if a dwarf cleans a floor he will also clean up any contamination on walls right next to the floor.
I can confirm this, having observed it firsthand.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 02:18:31 pm »

The cleaning job is triggered by a contamination - blood, mud, vomit, forgotten beast extract, etc - on a smoothed or constructed floor indoors.  Contamination on walls does not trigger the cleaning job, since a dwarf needs to stand in a the square with the contamination that is triggering the job, and wall squares can't be stood in.  However, I have heard it claimed (but haven't verified myself) that when a dwarf performs the cleaning job, they will also clean any contamination in squares adjacent to the square they're cleaning, so if a dwarf cleans a floor he will also clean up any contamination on walls right next to the floor.

I have seen such behaviour, but it does seem "erratic" - blood is cleaned up without fuss, but mud is hardly ever touched, especially the ring of muddy scunge around my hospital well which also has pus and vomit and blood in it.
This is a blank sig.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 02:34:52 pm »

I'm fairly certain dwarves only use soap for three things: cleaning themselves, cleaning wounds, and building elaborate skyscrapers.  For cleaning contaminants from floors and walls, they just wipe the area with their beards.

As for when they'll actually clean the fortress, I've noticed that they'll only clean indoor areas, which may or may not be sped up by the presence of a meeting area.  My entire dining room (also a statue garden) was encrusted with vomit after an unlucky encounter with a Forgotten Beast, and it didn't take my dwarves too long to get a considerable portion cleaned up.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 01:19:19 am »

Movie or it didn't happen - dwarves only use soap to clean themselves (or their patients), not the fortress.

Yup. The dorfs used the water from my well to clean it. They also happened to drop all of their messy blood around my well, in some kind of circle of dirt.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 05:15:28 pm »

the way my fort is set up, you have to go past the well to go pretty much anywhere, so it COULD be that all the dwarves i saw carrying soap were only taking it as far as the well.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 07:08:56 pm »

I'm fairly certain dwarves only use soap for three things: cleaning themselves, cleaning wounds, and building elaborate skyscrapers.  For cleaning contaminants from floors and walls, they just wipe the area with their beards.

As for when they'll actually clean the fortress, I've noticed that they'll only clean indoor areas, which may or may not be sped up by the presence of a meeting area.  My entire dining room (also a statue garden) was encrusted with vomit after an unlucky encounter with a Forgotten Beast, and it didn't take my dwarves too long to get a considerable portion cleaned up.
I can verify that having the to-be-cleaned area made a meeting place will get it cleaned much more quickly.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2012, 08:01:12 am »

the way my fort is set up, you have to go past the well to go pretty much anywhere, so it COULD be that all the dwarves i saw carrying soap were only taking it as far as the well.

if you get a FB with poisonous blood or something fun like that, this set up can potentially infect your whole fort, as the blood gets cleaned from the dwarfs, to around the well, where everyone can step in it
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012, 05:04:14 am »

if you get a FB with poisonous blood or something fun like that, this set up can potentially infect your whole fort, as the blood gets cleaned from the dwarfs, to around the well, where everyone can step in it
yeah, long story, but that's kinda the point of this fort...
Pages: [1] 2