Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bluh! Smelting broke...  (Read 1236 times)

CaptainBadwheel

• Bay Watcher
  • Either a Doomsday Device or an Ice Cream maker.
    • View Profile
Bluh! Smelting broke...
« on: January 11, 2012, 08:52:38 pm »

Started up a new fortress recently.  Have charcoal available and ores (tetrahedrite, spalerite, silver nuggets) laying around with nothing forbidden. Nothing has become available on the smelting list though. Its all red. Stumped. Anyone else ever have this problem?

Dreggon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bluh! Smelting broke...
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 08:56:18 pm »

Nothing forbidden... have you checked the Permitted Materials list or whatever it's called?

Are you sure you have enough fuel? Can the dwarves reach the smelter-furnace-whatever?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 08:59:01 pm »

Make sure that the ores aren't restricted in the "Z" menus.

tyrspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 09:01:49 pm »

You have to designate items for smelting, they won't show up in a list of any sort.
Chris Krause
Soundsense Mod Community Organizer
http://df.zweistein.cz/soundsense/

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 09:06:26 pm »

If he has ore, the option to make bars at the smelter should turn white.

It won't if the ore is restricted or forbidden.  He said he checked against being forbidden, so he needs to check for restriction inthe Z menu.

Failing that, he needs to check pathing to make sure the ore can get to the smelter, or that the smelter can be entered. Some workshops have nonpathing parts that dwarves can't walk through.

CaptainBadwheel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 09:19:15 pm »

The ores are available in the Z menu and my smelter has nothing around it to block pathing. I also have a furnace operator. Mysterious!

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 09:21:56 pm »

Try using the manager or rebuilding the smelter.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 09:27:25 pm »

Burrows could be a problem. Non access to the materials needed is usually the problem for any shop
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 09:35:51 pm by Fredd »
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 09:28:26 pm »

Are the smelters themselves (ie: the stone that they are made of) forbidden or restricted to economic use?
Never pet a burning dog.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 12:12:18 am »

Are you using a smelter or a magma smelter.  If magma smelter, I am stumped. If regular smelter, you need (more?) charcoal, or charcoal in a proper bar/block stockpile.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 12:14:22 am by thegoatgod_pan »
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 12:14:44 am »

Are you using a smelter or a magma smelter.  If magma smelter, I am stumped. If regular smelter, you need charcoal

Magma smelters can become unpowered if there's not 7/7 magma below them. And they don't accept fuel*, which might explain it. Of course smelters have also been known to be incredibly buggy as well, so there's that.

*Except for steel.

CaptainBadwheel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 12:28:50 am »

Just a normal smelter. Have over 40 charcoal. My other saved fortresses seem to be working fine so the problem is restricted to that reality :P

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2012, 12:29:33 am »

Try using the manager or rebuilding the smelter.
This.

There's a known bug that occasionally crops up for workshops that can accept custom reactions, including the smelters. This bug (or family of bugs) causes the workshop to fail to recognize one or more of materials that are in stockpiles, materials that aren't in stockpiles, and materials that are in stockpiles that aren't sufficiently close to the workshop itself. As materials tend to be in or not in stockpiles, this can be quite irritating. Deconstructing and reconstructing the smelter almost always fixes it, and jobs given through the manager work fine; the bug only prevents giving orders to the workshop directly.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!