Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many eyes do you have?

<10<
<15<
<100<

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27

Author Topic: Stupid thread : Microwaves are cool  (Read 40991 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Stupid thread : So much stupid.
« Reply #375 on: May 26, 2012, 07:45:38 pm »

As for consciously dumb things, i avoided sunblock when i knew that the next two days were going to be spent almost exclusively outside in glaring sunshine. I'm usually a pale white guy. After that, i was red. Red with COMMUNIST RAGE summery pain. (not totally covered in redness, but fuck my neck was sore and i looked kind of like Rudolph)

Went canoeing once and put on sunblock... but completely forgot to put any on my face.  Whole day passed and I didn't notice.  Never felt any pain.  When I got home, my face was so red... and my nose was bubbling up.  When I was rubbing some stuff on it to treat it, a big chunk of flesh slid right off my nose.  It still didn't hurt.  There's still a swirly disruption in my skin texture on that spot, about 4 years later.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: May 27, 2012, 12:51:31 am »

Went canoeing once and put on sunblock... but completely forgot to put any on my face.  Whole day passed and I didn't notice.  Never felt any pain.  When I got home, my face was so red... and my nose was bubbling up.  When I was rubbing some stuff on it to treat it, a big chunk of flesh slid right off my nose.  It still didn't hurt.  There's still a swirly disruption in my skin texture on that spot, about 4 years later.
itchy... hungry....

Because I'm so pale it's hard to get a tan without burning myself a little bit. Sounds like you burnt yourself so bad with the power of the sun that you killed some of the nerves in your face. That's hardcore.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: May 27, 2012, 02:32:44 am »

I haven't been sunburned since I was 12. Maybe next week. I may tackle the jungle in the backyard.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #378 on: May 27, 2012, 02:57:21 am »

Since I haven't messed with my compost pile consisting almost entirely of wood chips I decided yesterday to go inspect it (been about 2-3 months since I even went near enough to catch sight of it) and I see the most amazing things there. Really really tall plants, some coming up to nearly 4 feet in height, scattered all around my pile of wood chips and rabbit and chicken waste product. I will have to find out tomorrow what sort of plants they are, but there is little point in destroying them as it would mean risking the wrath of the hordes of ants that have taken the mound of chips/[rabbit/chicken] poop as their home... Maybe I should have moved that stuff to my garden sooner? Maybe 2-3 months ago when I finished with making the pile in the first place?
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

Urist McMalaclypse

• Bay Watcher
  • Physician of Philosophy
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: May 27, 2012, 08:19:10 am »

Never got into too much trouble with electricity, I had the presence of mind to complete the circuit with something much less conductive than myself. Not bad for a kid in grade school.
AC adapter > staple > metal back of a cheap watch > staple > AC adapter. I managed to fuse both staples to the inside of the adapter. They had to be drilled out before that laptop could be charged.

Played around with fire quite a bit. Thankfully pyromania runs in the family and I've picked up some things about not setting yourself on fire in the process.

No, the real fun one was getting hit by a bus. I was riding a bicycle near a sharp bend in the road, and was turning left. There's a reason they tell you to check before you turn - the bus had just come around the corner, and was in the other lane having passed an elderly gentleman going slowly. The road is marked 55 mph, and the bus was probably doing about that to pass him. Was going ~5 mph, accelerated as the bus pushed me for a couple seconds, got shoved off to the side, and skidded along the pavement until I stopped. Faded in and out of consciousness for a minute, then got to my feet and tried telling the rather concerned crowd getting out of their cars that I could walk home. Wound up with asphalt burned into my elbows and knees. Parents said it was fine, then took me in the next day when my knees were solid yellow with pus.

Fun fact: doctors will remove burned-in asphalt by abrading it off, using a rag soaked in iodine solution to fight infection. I'm told the process took about twenty minutes for all four limbs. I have to rely on outside judgement here, as I spent the time in intense agony, squeezing first a lamp and then a hand to minimize my own reflexive motion.

Had to use more iodine every day for weeks, and my one knee is solid scar tissue. Still glad that the bus pushed me out of its path, and that I didn't wind up with anything broken. Also, I had a gameboy advance in my pocket, the cloth of both my shorts and the pocket eroded away and the handheld skidded along the pavement - it still plays fine, and there's only a small (1 cm wide by 2 long) scratch in the plastic on one corner.

Lesson: don't get in front of buses, they're bigger than you and you don't have impact-tested sheet metal to absorb the impact, nor to keep you from contact with the road.
Also lesson: jeans and leather aren't just badass, they're a good way to avoid having petroleum-based substances fused to your skin.
After a long time of fleeing unsuccessfully, she did what any cornered dwarf would do:  she sucker punched her own baby and then kept running.
Good god man, cats training cats? That's like how every robot apocalypse starts. But with cats.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: May 27, 2012, 08:26:23 am »

GBAs are effin' tanky.

I've been hit by a car, which I mentioned in this thread. Wasn't as bad as your one, Malaclypse.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #381 on: May 27, 2012, 09:22:09 am »

Hot bowl.
220.C to be exact.
Put it in a sink.
~~
~~

OH GOD I DID NOT SEE THAT WATER

*Hiroshima glassplosion*

*Aside from a spider that got petrified in the blast, nothing was too damaged. Metal sinks ftw. Note to self, glassplosions pretty damn terrifying. Duck and cover.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #382 on: May 27, 2012, 11:03:28 am »

now try superheated water.
Superheated water would've actually not caused the glass explosion. Which is rather unfortunate really.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #383 on: May 27, 2012, 02:57:22 pm »

now try superheated water.
Superheated water would've actually not caused the glass explosion. Which is rather unfortunate really.
no, I mean just try using superheated water in general.
Boiling water?

o-o

I'm confused.

In hindsight, I just realized I made a glass bomb by trying to cook chips. They were pretty good chips.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: May 27, 2012, 02:59:45 pm »

Microwaves can get water in glass containers higher than 100 degrees without boiling it, but as soon as it gets disturbed at all it all boils at once and explodes and you die.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: May 27, 2012, 04:50:11 pm »

There have been plenty of times when I've grabbed a frosted mug (a glass one) out of the freezer for a drink or something, downed it, and then put it in the sink and ran hot water over it to clean it. And now we don't have mugs anymore.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: May 27, 2012, 05:24:44 pm »

Microwaves can get water in glass containers higher than 100 degrees without boiling it, but as soon as it gets disturbed at all it all boils at once and explodes and you die.

Needs to be distilled water IIRC, no impurities means nothing to enable evaporation, any contact creates a big chain reaction that melts your face. I feel kinda lucky that we never had a microwave, those things provide too many ways to horribly injure yourself and knowing me and my fiddly nature I would have probably found many of them.

And speaking of mugs, how about putting one on the stove to heat up some milk, because why not it can whitstand hot liquids, some electrical heating shouldn't harm it. Well now the biggest and most awesome looking mug we have (actually came with the house) has this big nasty crack going over most of it making it unable to hold any liquids.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: May 27, 2012, 05:27:24 pm »

Needs to be distilled water IIRC, no impurities means nothing to enable evaporation, any contact creates a big chain reaction that melts your face. I feel kinda lucky that we never had a microwave, those things provide too many ways to horribly injure yourself and knowing me and my fiddly nature I would have probably found many of them.

And speaking of mugs, how about putting one on the stove to heat up some milk, because why not it can whitstand hot liquids, some electrical heating shouldn't harm it. Well now the biggest and most awesome looking mug we have (actually came with the house) has this big nasty crack going over most of it making it unable to hold any liquids.
I've seen it done with tap well water. My ex-girlfriend almost killed herself doing this. It's less to do with impurities in the water and more to do with the surface tension being unbroken.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 05:28:57 pm by MaximumZero »

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: May 27, 2012, 05:30:43 pm »

An asshole thing to do is utilize that to sabotage someones hot yet currently unmixed tea. Since well, you know they're dipping something into that.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: May 27, 2012, 05:34:44 pm »

For the record, Microwaves function through use of a very specific frequency of microwave which causes water molecules to vibrate around. Thus, heat. This is only directly hazardous to humans because we are mostly water, and that water is meant to be maintained at a very specific temperature range so important things like hemoglobin proteins will work properly.   

Most of the microwave spectrum is harmless to humans and will go right through you without interacting. Wireless chargers rely upon this to not fry people to death while recharging their smartphones.

Although, the way some people act, they might very well tolerate some frying to be able to wirelessly recharge their smartphones.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27