Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many eyes do you have?

<10<
<15<
<100<

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 27

Author Topic: Stupid thread : Microwaves are cool  (Read 41032 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: The really, REALLY stupid thread : "THE GOGGLES THEY DO NOTHING!"
« Reply #195 on: January 25, 2012, 07:15:24 pm »

That actually reminds me of a stupid thing I did when I was maybe 12 or so.  I took a BB gun and shot a light pole next to my house.  The BB bounced back and hit me in the cheek, maybe a centimeter from my eye.

I don't know if it had the velocity to actually damage my eye, but just the thought gave me chills for a long time.

About a year ago, I was on my way to work on the motorcycle.  I was moving pretty slowly (like 25 mph?) and it was hot outside, so I had the visor up on my helmet.  The car in front of me kicked up a pebble that bounced directly off my eyeball.  It didn't damage my vision, but my eyeball felt painfully bruised for two days.  Not really anything stupid.  Just unlucky and ouch.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 25, 2012, 07:33:26 pm »

That actually reminds me of a stupid thing I did when I was maybe 12 or so.  I took a BB gun and shot a light pole next to my house.  The BB bounced back and hit me in the cheek, maybe a centimeter from my eye.

I don't know if it had the velocity to actually damage my eye, but just the thought gave me chills for a long time.

You'll shoot yer eye out, kid!
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 25, 2012, 08:37:07 pm »

You'll shoot yer eye out, kid!

Actually... that reminds me of another similar incident.  Back when I used to play paintball, my brother and I were sitting around in the living room, more or less doing nothing.  He had an unloaded paintball gun, but the CO2 was still attached.  I had a bottlecap.

Apparently I put the bottlecap too close to the barrel and temptation go the better of him, so he pulled the trigger.  The next thing I knew, my face was bleeding all around my eye where the bottlecap hit, the little sorta serrated bits where you break the seal cutting into my skin.  My eyesight was yellow in that eye for a few days.  :o
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 26, 2012, 01:19:38 pm »

Back in second grade, we were doing some writing or something (I can't remember what. All I know is that it involved pencils.), and I put my pencil eraser-down on the table and brought my face down on top of it. Cue me getting a piece of pencil lead stuck just above my left eye. It's been twelve years, and I still have a faintly discoloured spot above my left eye.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #199 on: January 26, 2012, 02:02:38 pm »

Dammit Evolution, you give humanity two weak spots and danger seems to always gravitate towards them >:|

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 26, 2012, 02:05:45 pm »

Back in second grade, we were doing some writing or something (I can't remember what. All I know is that it involved pencils.), and I put my pencil eraser-down on the table and brought my face down on top of it. Cue me getting a piece of pencil lead stuck just above my left eye. It's been twelve years, and I still have a faintly discoloured spot above my left eye.

I've still got a bit of pencil lead in my hand near the base of my right thumb, from where I accidentally stabbed myself in the hand in third grade.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 26, 2012, 04:41:01 pm »

How are you people not dead.

Most my stupid moments have been behind the wheel of a car. One time I was heading to school very drowsy and dozed off. I hit a puddle on the side of the road which woke me up, overcorrected, and finally hit a mailbox on the opposite side. No injuries except a bloody finger and unsteady nerves. Oh, and there was a nice HOLE in the hood of the car where the mailbox itself hit after being snapped in half. The hole was about 2 inches away from the windshield. Any higher and that thing would've busted through the windshield hitting me.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 26, 2012, 04:54:24 pm »

Well, once I was drunk at a bar and had found a random lighter on the table we were sitting at, so I was playing with it.  There were two other guys of importance at the table, friend 1 and friend 2.  Friend 1 was pretty far gone, and was resting his head on the table.  Friend 2, seeing how close the lighter was getting to friend 1, encouraged me to try burning off some of friend 1's copious arm hair.  Three things came together at that point.  First, as I was drunk I did not have the best of aim.  Second is the fact that his head was resting on the arms.  Third, friend 1 had used an incredible amount of hair gel that night before going out.  The result was a brief moment of panic and hilarity as friend 1 woke up flailing his arms around trying to put the fire out.  Friend 2 then did the favor of putting out the fire with his beer.  Surprisingly, since we were out on the patio, we did not get kicked out of the bar (though we quickly left anyways).

Friend 1, to this day, retains infinite punching rights to my upper left arm.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 26, 2012, 05:00:55 pm »

I do recall when I was about 8-9, I would entertain myself by swerving my bike so sharply that the outside edges would scrape along the pavement. I tended to do this a lot on hills, and on one particular occasion I misjudged and ended up taking pretty much all the skin off of my left knee, which spent the next month or so as a huge, bloody scab, covering roughly the 'front' 160 degrees or so of my knee (which later got infected). But hey, at least I was wearing a helmet.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #204 on: January 26, 2012, 05:19:18 pm »

How are you people not dead.
I honestly have no friggin idea. Many of my stupidities could have been fatal if not for a few blessed variables. Point in case:

I was a single-digit number of years old (~6-8 years), and i had to cross a road, which i really didn't like because, at the time, it seemed really broad. I couldn't quite see the whole road because of parked cars obscuring my incredibly low viewpoint (i was rather short back then yaknow). But, i managed to get confident enough that there were no running cars nearby, so i tried RUNNING across in hopes of passing the road before any cars showed up. Cue me RUNNING INTO THE SIDE OF A MOVING CAR. Aside from a tremendous scare (i don't think i've ever been that scared before or after) and a couple of fingers whacked (not injured) by the mirror, i was totally unharmed. At least the drivers (who were probably also scared out of their minds; a small child had just been hit by their car) immediately stopped up and checked if i was fine (which i was, despite crying like i was on fire). The kicker: if i had ran out a fraction of a second earlier, i would've been plowed down like a dodo and gone equally extinct.

Thank goodness i've grown taller now so i can see above those blasted cars, allowing me to cross that road with impunity (which, by the way, i do almost every day, twice). The bad memories are fading, but dear god i could have died back then. :-\ (you are allowed to laugh at the situation, i realize the somewhat morbid humour of running into the side of a moving car with surgical precision)
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 26, 2012, 05:30:46 pm »

... RUNNING INTO THE SIDE OF A MOVING CAR. ...

Oh, I've done that as well, on a bike, but that time it wasn't me who was stupid. I was biking to class a couple of years back, on the way there is a T-crossing with a pedestrian crossing over two of the roads. I came cycling there, looked up the road, saw a car coming, blinking to turn left (so that he would turn and not come near my crossing) so I proceed to cross. Seconds later I slam into his side as he comes blazing straight forward instead of turning. He stops and gets out of the car, looks like he is 80+ years old and is completely confused. He was not aware that he was giving a turn signal, and did not see me coming, despite that the bicycle path goes along the road for at least 50 meters without any sort of view-blocking object short of a single pedestrian crossing road sign. I'm pretty grateful that I didn't get hit by him, rather than the other way around...
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 26, 2012, 06:03:24 pm »

I think i've mentioned that one too. I was 13 and plowed into the side of a car that came out of nowhere (i was doing about 45km/h, the car was doing about 20km/h) and flew over the bonnet and down the other side. I came away from it with some serious gravel rash and cuts, plus a sprain, but nothing more.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 26, 2012, 06:15:23 pm »

A few things I've done:

Ran away from fire ants as a child, hit a tree face-first, stumbled on one of its roots and fractured my foot. Not fun.

Stood directly in the path of a moving swing and took the swing tire and the treads of two little boots to the face as a child (didn't even think about moving away). Even got into the air a little bit and was stunned, but not KO'd, thankfully.

Not especially proud of either of them, and I thank the heavens each time I recall one for not having developed a lasting injury/mark.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 26, 2012, 06:22:27 pm »

Stood directly in the path of a moving swing and took the swing tire and the treads of two little boots to the face as a child (didn't even think about moving away). Even got into the air a little bit and was stunned, but not KO'd, thankfully.
That reminds me of a game we used to play where one group would get on the swings and do the swingy thing, while the other group would run back and forth through them like they were giant axe blades or something. Somehow nobody ever got hit ever. But then one guy who was on the swings got appendicitis, probably because all this was after lunch.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 26, 2012, 07:00:03 pm »

I'm proud of the fact my joints and bones are nigh-unbreakable. I've never broken a bone or dislocated or even just a minor fracture- the worst injury I've had was an acute deep soft tissue injury to my ankle.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 27