Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many eyes do you have?

<10<
<15<
<100<

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 27

Author Topic: Stupid thread : Microwaves are cool  (Read 41012 times)

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
Re: The really, REALLY stupid thread : "I fought the wall, and the wall won."
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2012, 04:10:45 pm »

There was this one time I tried to boat across a lake in 3 foot swells, that almost ended badly.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2012, 04:28:19 pm »

I got a good one, although it's a bit long:

When I was 11, in Fifth Grade, (for the second time, I changed schools halfway through the first and missed about half a year of school) we had this Bike Education program. Now, not being a particularly active child, I hadn't... Really ridden a bike without training wheels. Ever. Which was pretty bad.
And so, the teachers were all shaking their heads in exasperation, amazed at my uselessness, and eventually they decided I could stay out of the main program, instead learning how to ride a bike from my friend. Said friend was excluded from the program due to his two broken arms... That he got whilst riding a bike. D:

But it all went fairly well considering, and whilst I was still pretty useless, I improved about 100% on how I was before. Anyway, it was a while into this program/course thing when my friend, seeing that I was improving, told me to ride down this fairly small, but kinda steep slope, where at the bottom the rest of the class was doing a bunch of excercises, riding through obstacles and everything. I frowned and said something like, "No, that looks a bit too steep... Don't think I can." "Oh come on, it's easy!" I still didn't want to. "I've seen little girls go down that hill." Perhaps displaying some strength of character, I stuck to my guns and refused to be budged by peer pressure. Eventually he agreed and said I could go around the hill.

So, I start riding along, towards where the slope ended, and thought: "Hey, this isn't so bad! You know, that hill doesn't look so tough after all..." So I turned and started riding down the hill, which turned out to be not only quite steep, but covered in all sorts of bumps and branches which made it even more difficult.
Terrified, I bounced up and down on the bike, gaining speed, as a few of the kids below turned to watch. I completely lost control, and finally bounced especially hard and somehow flew off the bike, got some airtime, and then landed heavily on my back about... 10 or so metres from the instructors, who were by this stage staring at me, looking unimpressed.
Just when I didn't think it could get any worse, my bike, which had apparently been getting some airtime of its own, crashed down on top of me, upside-down with the wheels spinning in the air.
Lying there winded, I had no idea how that was even possible, but then in the crowning moment of the whole scene, with the teachers staring at me in horror, I hear my friend running down the hill behind me, shouting:
"Don't worry! [Yoink]'s just helping me check the tires!"

Oh man. I had a few bruises and cuts, but somehow no serious injuries. Needless to say, I got kicked out of the course before long. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2012, 04:34:06 pm »

Imagine this: Boy, about 7 years old. Finds a resistor, with it's legs not yet trimmed. Imagine that he picks it up, and crawls behind a couch, where sits a 120V electrical socket. Imagine he places the legs of the resistor into the socket.

Now imagine the smell of smoke, and the boy's scared expression as he looks up above the back of the couch.

Yeah, that's me.
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2012, 04:55:09 pm »

When I was in boy scouts, probably 13 or 14, we went camping.  The whole troop or whatever the hell they called it went on a walk.  After what was probably a mile or so of walking about half the troop went back and the rest of us continued on.  Good lord, why did I continue.

I don't know how long the actual walk was.  It was at least five miles, and none of us were in that kind of shape.  Fuck it felt good to sit down when we got back.  We went through the woods, all over town, to a park, I have no idea where the hell we were.

Shoes...

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2012, 05:03:15 pm »

Yeah, I misread a topo map one time on a Boy Scout hike like that. It was getting dark and we tried to head back to camp. We knew we'd be in the right spot when we saw the Yadkin River (a pretty good sized river...1/4 mile wide or so). Problem was, when we got to it we were on the wrong side. Somehow we'd crossed a tributary of it and then gotten up into a bend of the river....I've still never quite figured out how we did that without any kind of boat involved. It was about 11pm before we got back. As SPL and navigator, I was none too popular for a while after that.  :-\

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2012, 07:53:09 pm »

Most people use a glue gun to heat their hot glue sticks.  In the shop, we used to use a blowtorch.  It rather redefined hot glue.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2012, 07:53:54 pm »

Ahahaha.

Ah, 6 year old me- there's a good reason why three of the five broken arms I've had were from that age.
Two of the incidents come up- first one, me and my sister are jumping from my old house's sliding basement door to the porch. I manage to trip or something and I break my arm.

Later, at my aunt's house, I was jumping Superman-style from the roof onto an air mattress. I was having a grand time and then I missed. Off to the hospital.

Edit: I got Ninja'd, I just wanted to say hahahaahaha.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2012, 07:56:51 pm »

Walking home from elementry school one day, got offered a ride from my neighbor, in his fancy sports car.

Got home, went inside, never really thought about it again.

15 some years later, neighbor gets arrested for having molested about 30 other boys.

My first thought on hearing that:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2012, 08:42:06 pm »

Walls must have something against Bay12'ers  :P
Actually it looks more like, by this point, that electricity has something against Bay12'ers I count three or four stories that involve it so far :P
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2012, 08:44:42 pm »

Walls must have something against Bay12'ers  :P
Actually it looks more like, by this point, that electricity has something against Bay12'ers I count three or four stories that involve it so far :P
On that note, 5 years old and two steak knives and one power outlet, i'll let you guys figure what happens next.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2012, 08:45:28 pm »

You cut yourself?

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2012, 08:46:27 pm »

You cut yourself?
¬_¬
you serious?

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2012, 08:46:49 pm »

So I was cleaning labware and nearly done. I had been cleaning a beaker with some organic solvent and had disposed of most of it, but there was a little bit left in the beaker.

I know, I thought, I'll just grab that airhose and evaporate it. And so I did, and with my boneheaded mind I did it outside of the cupboard, only to be harshly reminded that the solvent I used was, in fact, chloroform...

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2012, 08:47:01 pm »

Two steak knives and a kid. It's a valid assumption.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 27