Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mutations  (Read 1707 times)

Shadowscales

• Bay Watcher
  • rawr
    • View Profile
Mutations
« on: January 11, 2012, 09:31:40 am »

Dwarf fortress needs mutations, possibly as a result of a curse.
They could be benificial (claws, scales, fangs. ect) or really annoying (albino, night creature, wool allergy, deformed, ect)
each mutation would have deformed value, when this reaches a certain amount people have a chance of attacking you, sending adventurers on quests to kill you, and of course gathering in mobs to burn you, the % chance of them turning aggressive depends on
1. what god they worship
2. how religious they are
3. how afraid of you they are
4. how deformed you are

I love mutations in roguelikes, and with Dwarf fortress's body part system it could be quite cool (also sewing recently severed limbs from creatures onto yourself with a chance of poisoning if the blood type is incompatible and/or if your medical skill isn't great enough!).
Welcome to the fold, the weirdos are in that corner, and that one, and those two. And in the middle too, we're all weirdos in the Furry Fandom

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mutations
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 09:34:50 am »

I never quite understood the pathological fear of mutation in most settings...

Is there a reason why you must be killed?

Shadowscales

• Bay Watcher
  • rawr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 09:42:42 am »

hmm
I guess you could be worshiped =)
or praised as the mightiest hero, creating a cult would be fun, then unleashing it to convert people.
Dealing with angry priests...
Oh the possibilities...
So yes, they could see it as good, also might make usually hostile races not attack you and possibly friendly because you look similar to their race....
Then there is the problem of learning their language...

If you retire, you may start a new race!
and after awhile villages and cities!
Wether they are hostile or not depends on the adventurer (you)'s behavior, predicting what would happen with you as a ruler!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 09:46:49 am by Shadowscales »
Welcome to the fold, the weirdos are in that corner, and that one, and those two. And in the middle too, we're all weirdos in the Furry Fandom

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 01:01:26 pm »

Nice idea, but the general mutation concept is a frequently suggested concept, and is actually a possible feature in future adventure modes.

Although entire civs gathering to rid the world of a famous night creature anti-hero... New concept :p

ayoriceball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 04:16:07 pm »

Nice idea, but the general mutation concept is a frequently suggested concept, and is actually a possible feature in future adventure modes.

Although entire civs gathering to rid the world of a famous night creature anti-hero... New concept :p

I would rather be able to play as some cool Animal Man. Dwarves mutating into other creatures doesn't make much sense. This isn't Caves of Qud.
Don't dwarven ladies know they're beautiful the way they are? They don't need to starve themselves to look like those elven bitches.
"Tigermen are lazy and worthless... but not MY friend, Grroawarul."

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 05:09:13 pm »

Isn't the shiny new interaction system that allows vampire fangs to grow when drinking blood, etc, likely to allow this sort of thing to trigger? At least through modding shenanigans?
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 05:44:45 pm »

I would rather be able to play as some cool Animal Man. Dwarves mutating into other creatures doesn't make much sense. This isn't Caves of Qud.

You can play as animal men currently, it takes a little modding, but nothing too extensive.

ayoriceball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 06:00:36 pm »

You can play as animal men currently, it takes a little modding, but nothing too extensive.

That's not exactly what I meant. I mean, realistically playing as an Animal Man, perhaps from an underground (or above-ground if that gets added) Animal Man tribe.
Don't dwarven ladies know they're beautiful the way they are? They don't need to starve themselves to look like those elven bitches.
"Tigermen are lazy and worthless... but not MY friend, Grroawarul."

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 06:44:59 pm »

I want to play a Fluffy Wambler-Man 'fort'... ...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Shadowscales

• Bay Watcher
  • rawr
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 07:15:27 pm »

I too want to be able to play as animal men realistically, lizard men are my favorite race in all games (Argonians FTW!).

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 10:14:47 pm »

Night creatures already do it.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 12:18:03 pm »

I generally add mutated castes like blind dwarves, deaf, mute, mental disordered, stillborn and born with out arms or legs.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 02:03:36 am »

hmm
I guess you could be worshiped =)
or praised as the mightiest hero, creating a cult would be fun, then unleashing it to convert people.
Dealing with angry priests...
Oh the possibilities...
So yes, they could see it as good, also might make usually hostile races not attack you and possibly friendly because you look similar to their race....
Then there is the problem of learning their language...

If you retire, you may start a new race!
and after awhile villages and cities!
Wether they are hostile or not depends on the adventurer (you)'s behavior, predicting what would happen with you as a ruler!

Why Worshipped either?

It makes sense in other settings where mutations are actually a genuin sign of danger or monsterism (Exalted) or where the source of mutations are from a genuinly evil source (Warhammer)...

But this is neither of those.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2012, 05:51:57 pm »

Hm..actually. This might be good.

MY earlier suggestion about deaf, blind dwarves is more realistic. What if the mother was hit by FB breath in pregnancy? Wouldnt it affect the child?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2012, 06:13:36 pm »

Hm..actually. This might be good.

MY earlier suggestion about deaf, blind dwarves is more realistic. What if the mother was hit by FB breath in pregnancy? Wouldnt it affect the child?
Hopefully they would be blind.
Pages: [1] 2