Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No more migrants, possible extinction?  (Read 779 times)

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No more migrants, possible extinction?
« on: January 11, 2012, 05:25:19 am »

About a year and a half ago my my 8 year old fortress stopped getting migrants. I have had a few seiges, but nothing quite bad enough to stop migrants coming to my fortress (at least in my experience, they've been happy to turn up in the middle of them in the past)

So, my question is this: If I have somehow completely depleted the dwarven civilization (which would mean they'd only been about 100 strong) then how to I go about finding out?

Edit: I have since recieved a liaison, I don't know if he'd appear if the civ had died out or not, but hopefully that adds some clarification.

Edit: Eventually I got some migrants, after 2 years of nothing. Confusing, but I think that answers my questions, There must be some dwarves out there somewhere  8)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 10:28:25 am by Spinning Welshman »
I also just had a human diplomat enter from the surface, hold a meeting, then exit the map via hell.... I guess he thinks he's pretty hardass.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No more migrants, possible extinction?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 05:29:04 am »

What's your population? Have you changed the population limit at all?

For FPS reasons there is a population limit (default 200) and if you have more dwarves than that you won't get migrants. Or births I think (excluding dwarves who are already pregnant). Could you have hit that already?
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 05:48:34 am »

For FPS reasons there is a population limit (default 200) and if you have more dwarves than that you won't get migrants. Or births I think (excluding dwarves who are already pregnant). Could you have hit that already?

Sorry, I should have included that: I have set my population limit to 100 (to save my fps) and my current population is 50, with 12 children. Also, as a matter of interest, I'm quite sure you do still get pregnancies after you pass the population cap. I'm just wondering how I can find out if the dwarven civ is still alive out there, or whether there's something else that's interfering with migrants. It's annoying because I need more dorfs for my hauling  >:(
I also just had a human diplomat enter from the surface, hold a meeting, then exit the map via hell.... I guess he thinks he's pretty hardass.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 08:39:49 am »

I've had the same problem. Clarification of causes would be nice.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

ayoriceball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 09:59:39 am »

Sorry, I should have included that: I have set my population limit to 100 (to save my fps) and my current population is 50, with 12 children. Also, as a matter of interest, I'm quite sure you do still get pregnancies after you pass the population cap. I'm just wondering how I can find out if the dwarven civ is still alive out there, or whether there's something else that's interfering with migrants. It's annoying because I need more dorfs for my hauling  >:(

Make a backup of your current fort. Abandon the fort. Go into Dwarf Fortress mode and see how many statue icons your civilization has. Alternatively, check out legends mode for any interesting events. If your civ started in a tiny mountain range or was in a war, that may explain why they had so few people.
Don't dwarven ladies know they're beautiful the way they are? They don't need to starve themselves to look like those elven bitches.
"Tigermen are lazy and worthless... but not MY friend, Grroawarul."

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 10:21:17 am »

Make a backup of your current fort. Abandon the fort. Go into Dwarf Fortress mode and see how many statue icons your civilization has. Alternatively, check out legends mode for any interesting events. If your civ started in a tiny mountain range or was in a war, that may explain why they had so few people.

Thanks for the tip.  :)
It's entirely possible that the level of savagery in my world finished most of them off in world gen. I have my own recipe that creates alot of high savagery good and evil areas, so it'd make sense if that reduced their numbers, as of yet though, I can't quite be bothered to go through legends and look... I'll wait and see if I get any migrants over the next few years, and if not, then I'll have a look.  :P

Edit: As I was typing this reply, I got some migrants  :o It's been about 2 years since I've had any... But there they are, saying they arrived despite the danger, despite there being no danger at all. :-\ I'm still somewhat confused as to the reason they stayed away so long, but I guess that answers my questions  :)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 10:23:29 am by Spinning Welshman »