Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: how do I make a perfect defense  (Read 1895 times)

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
how do I make a perfect defense
« on: January 10, 2012, 08:56:51 pm »

my only defense from goblin siege has always been 100+feet of drawbridge over a 200+ foot deep hole along with 50 feet of weapon traps (with glass blades). up until now i have never had even 1 person make it back into my inner sanctum once my defenses were up so my question is:
how do I make a trap that will REMOVE AN ARMY OFF THE FACE OF THE EARTH will i need lava, will i need an endless array of siege weapons.

so plz give me the advanced collage course on how fortress defense.
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

HeWhoCannotBeNamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: how do I make a perfect defense
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 09:00:11 pm »

You can make automated water-based defenses with river water, that allow friendlies to pass fine but drown goblins. The trick is hatches connected to a pressure plate. When hostiles step on the plate, hatches front and back (and above their head, where the water is) open up and flush the goblins down, to a small chamber they drown in.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 09:02:28 pm by HeWhoCannotBeNamed »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 09:15:22 pm »

A perfect defense? b-C-w. Not much fun, though.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 09:16:01 pm »

You can make automated water-based defenses with river water, that allow friendlies to pass fine but drown goblins. The trick is hatches connected to a pressure plate. When hostiles step on the plate, hatches front and back (and above their head, where the water is) open up and flush the goblins down, to a small chamber they drown in.

great idea, ill ad that to my list of kill traps, 5 stars, i love it :D

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 09:16:54 pm »

A perfect defense? b-C-w. Not much fun, though.

well your right... but if you have a good base you can subtract from it in order to reach the intended level of fun

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 09:30:06 pm »

Retractable bridge or a Dodge-Me trap. Dodge-Me traps are hilarious to watch.

Or, a goblin grinder would work too.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 09:45:34 pm »

Retractable bridge or a Dodge-Me trap. Dodge-Me traps are hilarious to watch.

Or, a goblin grinder would work too.

i see the goblin grinder as an exploit... but that will still be put into the master design. and I love dodge traps

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 10:15:40 pm »

One high quality security device is the dog (or other creature) on a pressure plate.

You put the animal in a 1x1 pasture on a pressure plate, behind a window and/or fortification looking into the death chamber. When the enemy comes in, the animal sees them and freaks out, stepping off the pressure plate, returning whatever is linked to the pressure plate to it's default state.

So retracting bridges close, sealing the entrance and exit to the chamber and all the drains. A raising bridge lowers, letting magma into the chamber.

Or a raising bridges lower, smashing everything flat.

Or a raising bridge lowers, allowing water to enter the repeater which causes the spikes in the chamber to go up and down, up and down...

Now, the dwarves will try and catch the animal and put it back on the pressure plate. But this will only succeed once all the enemies in the death chamber are dead. This is good, because it means the system automatically resets itself once it's ready for another load of victims.

The animal powered death chamber can be very reliable, because an animal isn't thwarted by stealthy, flying or trap-avoid enemies. The exact effectiveness of the death chamber depends on what the pressure plate causes to happen.  Which could be multiple things, for example it could both flood the chamber AND activate a repeater which drives the spikes, for a self-rinsing impaling chamber.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 10:27:25 pm »

One high quality security device is the dog (or other creature) on a pressure plate.

You put the animal in a 1x1 pasture on a pressure plate, behind a window and/or fortification looking into the death chamber. When the enemy comes in, the animal sees them and freaks out, stepping off the pressure plate, returning whatever is linked to the pressure plate to it's default state.

So retracting bridges close, sealing the entrance and exit to the chamber and all the drains. A raising bridge lowers, letting magma into the chamber.

Or a raising bridges lower, smashing everything flat.

Or a raising bridge lowers, allowing water to enter the repeater which causes the spikes in the chamber to go up and down, up and down...

Now, the dwarves will try and catch the animal and put it back on the pressure plate. But this will only succeed once all the enemies in the death chamber are dead. This is good, because it means the system automatically resets itself once it's ready for another load of victims.

The animal powered death chamber can be very reliable, because an animal isn't thwarted by stealthy, flying or trap-avoid enemies. The exact effectiveness of the death chamber depends on what the pressure plate causes to happen.  Which could be multiple things, for example it could both flood the chamber AND activate a repeater which drives the spikes, for a self-rinsing impaling chamber.

damn, did you think of that your self...

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 10:30:25 pm »

Megadwarf bonus: mod in a creature that has natural Legendary Observer skill and never get caught out by enemies again. Like a creature that's entirely eyes or something.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 10:42:53 pm »

Megadwarf bonus: mod in a creature that has natural Legendary Observer skill and never get caught out by enemies again. Like a creature that's entirely eyes or something.

hmm can some1 make that...

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2012, 10:45:46 pm »

Give me a name for it and I'll start right now. :D

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2012, 10:58:54 pm »

Give me a name for it and I'll start right now. :D

call it the watcher mod, and name the mob beholder  :P

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2012, 11:43:03 pm »

Must... Remove... Eyeballs....

[EXTRA_VISION] anyone?

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012, 12:11:57 am »

Ok: the watcher: it is an upper body with [SIGHT], with two hands with [SIGHT] and two feet with [SIGHT]. It has [FLEEQUICK] but in arena testing that didn't affect it; it attempted to flee from the waterbuffalo i pitted it against, merely scrambling away and rolling.

It doesn't stand on its feet, as I chose not to give them [STANCE], so it drags itself around slowly.

It has [NATURAL_SKILL:SITUATIONAL_AWARENESS:15] so it's a natural Legendary Observer.

Here is an image of it:

I'll upload the raws in a couple of hours.
Pages: [1] 2