Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gators ate half my team at the start. Also, what governs uniform layers?  (Read 889 times)

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile

4 squares away from my embark location was a stream with 4 gators in it, who immediately killed most of my animals and Dwarves right at the start. Awesome!

Also, what world gen settings increase the probability of having whole layers that are mostly of one type of block? I sometimes see whole z-levels that are 85% Marble. And sometimes in a mostly flat ground level with a volcano I find layers of mostly obsidian. It does help with Fortress aesthetics, is there a way to make those types of layer more common?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gators ate half my team at the start. Also, what governs uniform layers?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 09:37:20 pm »

...Is there a question about the reptiles that you have, or is that just a comment?

Layers are always made up of one layer stone with various inclusions in them. The number of inclusions is dependent on the mineral scarcity setting; scarcer minerals means fewer inclusions means more consistent layers. The type of inclusion, and thus its size, is dependent on the layer mineral itself, and each seems to have roughly the same chance of being chosen.

Metamorphic layers, for instance, are more likely to be mostly the layer stone because they have relatively few types of stones that form large clusters in them, about average number of types of stones that form veins in them, and a huge long list of small clusters. Marble, a metamorphic stone, also has additional stones that can appear in it, almost all of which are small clusters. So, marble is very very likely to have all of its inclusions taken up by small clusters, which, as the name suggests, are small, so marble layers are more likely to be almost entirely marble. Igneous intrusive layers, especially diorite, on the other hand, have very few forms of small clusters, so they're more likely to have veins streaking them.

In short, if you want consistent layers, turn mineral scarcity way up and set volcanism to favor middling levels (as metamorphic stone forms when volcanism is neither high nor low), like, say, 25-75.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 09:56:13 pm »

That was just a comment that could probably have been worded better. :)

Thanks for the info about the layers, I now have some experimenting to do. Much appreciated. Finding a good mineral scarcity setting has been tricky. I like to have a wide variety available, but it doesn't need to be in huge amounts.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 10:02:33 pm by BoogieMan »

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 10:07:22 pm »

Changing maximum Vulcanism to even 99 instead of 100 gives me infinite rejected worlds... ? And 20 minimum is about all I can get before rejections.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 10:10:44 pm by BoogieMan »

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 10:17:57 pm »

There is a minimum volcanoes setting, set that to 0 and you wont get the rejections for <100 volcanism.

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 11:31:06 pm »

There is a minimum volcanoes setting, set that to 0 and you wont get the rejections for <100 volcanism.

Ah, good to know. Thanks.

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 09:33:54 am »

For more consistent gator layers, try embarking in warm to hot jungles and swamps.  This should get you a generally high level of toothy, green, nongoblin, embark fun. =)