Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves can use morningstars although they can't build them  (Read 1113 times)

flamoot

• Bay Watcher
  • Jack was a Legomaniac.
    • View Profile
    • ansistego
Dwarves can use morningstars although they can't build them
« on: January 10, 2012, 06:37:43 pm »

Did you know about this? I'd like to hear about other weapons they can't build but will use. What skill is it going to practice -- maces or hammers? There's no Flaildwarf skill. But check out this morningstar. A new recruit just got his left arm ripped off by a forgotten beast but he's still got this in his remaining hand:

This is a superior quality copper morningstar. It is encrusted with gneiss. This object menaces with spikes of warthog hoof. On the item is an image of narrow crescents in malachite.

Four Notable Kills

Fath Cryptmoral the dwarf, d. 163
Kutsmob Fondledevil the goblin, d. 165
Osta the troll, d. 165
Zom Malignedlords the goblin, d. 165

Four Other Kills

One rhinoceros (female) in Chanceplank
Three rhinoceroses (male) in Chanceplank

Slayers

Gozru Seducedzeniths the goblin, d. 163, one kill
Zaneg Banneroil the dwarf, d. 165, two kills
Rakust Laboredsun the Last Rider of Mechanisms the dwarf, five kills

So what's up? Rakust Laboredsun got five kills with it, changed it out for something else, and is still alive. Is this a bug?

You cannot build morning stars
Oh, someone finally died of thirst

Jack was a Legomaniac. Then they treated him with Thorazine. Now all he does is watch TV

AxisKiller

• Bay Watcher
  • What's the worst that could happen?
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves can use morningstars although they can't build them
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 06:40:03 pm »

A morningstar is a type of mace, it uses the macedwarf skill. Your dwarves can use almost any weapon I believe, you can look at what all they can use in the military equipment screen.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Weapons#Foreign_weapons

There's the list of foreign weapons, as far as I know dwarves can use any weapon but can only build a few outside of moods, though I may be wrong.

htabdoolb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 07:33:26 pm »

The larger two handed weapons have size requirements that the majority of dwarves will be unable to meet, unfortunately. Even if you manage to get a hold on a few quality pieces, odds are none of your militia dwarves will be able to wield them.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 07:43:08 pm »

I don't think that morningstar is an artifact, so your dorfs probably picked it up from a dead invader and a macedwarf decided to choose it as his weapon.

If you look at slayers, you'll see the first one is a goblin, so it was probably the first one to carry the thing around.

As stated above, your dorfs can and will use any weapons they can get their hands on, as long as they are not too big for them.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

flamoot

• Bay Watcher
  • Jack was a Legomaniac.
    • View Profile
    • ansistego
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 08:14:01 pm »

Can they use bows? I assumed they couldn't use bows so I keep all the arrows in my fort forbidden but I get archers who pick up bows instead of crossbows so I should unforbid the arrows for them I guess. Can anyone let me know for sure?

I mean if morningstars (which are flails) use Macedwarf, does a bow use Crossbowdwarf? (That's the name for marksdwarf in the embark.) Or does it just use marksdwarf in spite of it being named after only crossbows in embark ,_,
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 08:17:52 pm by flamoot »

Jack was a Legomaniac. Then they treated him with Thorazine. Now all he does is watch TV

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 08:21:32 pm »

Can they use bows? I assumed they couldn't use bows so I keep all the arrows in my fort forbidden but I get archers who pick up bows instead of crossbows so I should unforbid the arrows for them I guess. Can anyone let me know for sure?

I mean if morningstars (which are flails) use Macedwarf, does a bow use Crossbowdwarf? (That's the name for marksdwarf in the embark.) Or does it just use marksdwarf in spite of it being named after only crossbows in embark ,_,
Mixing bows and crossbows is bad juju
Dwarves can use almost any weapon they get their grubby little hands on. I think they can use bows.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 08:33:18 pm »

I mean if morningstars (which are flails) use Macedwarf

Morning stars are not flails, because the head of the weapon is connected directly to the shaft; there is no chain or hinge that lets the head swing independently.  It's possible the word "morning star" was used to describe flail-type weapons somewhere or other, but Dwarf Fortress morning stars are the kind listed in the wikipedia article, particularly nasty mace-clubs.
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 08:37:28 pm »

In DF: Morning stars are spiked maces.
Normal maces are flanged maces.

That's what I think.

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 09:31:04 pm »

Dwarves can use bows, but you can't make the ammunition for them.

It would be alright if you're a fan of the 'quick response team' with light armor and wooden weapons. I prefer steel-clad (if less than my axedorfs) with copper crossbows. Silver ones, until I can make masterwork copper, when I can buy them off the caravan.

My crossbowdwarves are marksdwarves and hammerdwarves.
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 09:33:22 pm »

Quick response team... interesting idea.

Light armor, weak weapons + very high dodging skill and armor user...

IDEAS!

That's a great idea to remedy the dwarves lumbering around after the goblins!

malroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 09:59:29 pm »

random bows and arrows left over from invasions should go into weapon traps, apparently Dwarves know how to make automated machinegun turrents out of them, and if they run out of ammo in a crucial battle it won't cause your marksdwarves to charge.
Why couldn't my vampire Hammerer eat someone useless, like a migrant? Instead, she went after my only gemcutter.. but sadly there were no witnesses, so I convicted someone's pet duck as the murderer.  It got off easy, with no beatings or jail time.  >.<

flamoot

• Bay Watcher
  • Jack was a Legomaniac.
    • View Profile
    • ansistego
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2012, 10:03:55 pm »

Dwarves can use bows, but you can't make the ammunition for them.

That's ok, I have thousands of arrows from invaders on this my twelfth year

(But I can't find a dwarf with a bow instead of a crossbow, anymore)