Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves already jump  (Read 1155 times)

flamoot

• Bay Watcher
  • Jack was a Legomaniac.
    • View Profile
    • ansistego
Dwarves already jump
« on: January 10, 2012, 04:51:00 pm »

I've seen dwarves jump

When I break into a cave, I had this habit, at one point, of throwing bridges across the chasms between visible gems. From rock column to rock column, starting high up where I hit the cave, I'd extend bridge after bridge digging out all the gems I saw

Eventually these rickety walkways included stairs to other levels and some of them touched the ground or connected to each other, making the catwalk network part of the regular pathing and well-walked as time passed

I used to be worried about dwarves falling from high places. The first time I ever found a cave I built a 4x4 stairway to the ground from an opening in the ceiling then put walls around it from the ground up. I still plug most breaches high up in cave walls made by mining with clear glass windows. This also stops flying beasts from getting into your fort those ways

But some troglodytes got onto the gemming bridge network one time. As dwarves melee combatted them, they'd occasionally make a flying dodge. Sometimes this put them on the other side of the monster or safely back a square but six in eight times they'd swan dive off the bridge and impact far below

Dwarves can indeed, "jump"
Oh, someone finally died of thirst

Jack was a Legomaniac. Then they treated him with Thorazine. Now all he does is watch TV

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves already jump
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 05:13:42 pm »

That's not really jumping, that's dodging to their deaths.

Melancholy dwarves on the other hand, those guys jump...
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 12:11:01 am »

Everything can dodge up and down z lvls. Just put training weapon traps outside your walls, come next siege...

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 12:35:49 am »

No, repeating spike traps. Actually works on TRAPAVOID :P

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 12:36:25 am »

No, repeating spike traps. Actually works on TRAPAVOID :P

Helms deep in DF :P

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 12:51:46 am »

Now all we need are the Rorirhim , an elf, dwarf, human and a lot of orcs.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 02:23:56 am »

Now all we need are the Rorirhim , an elf, dwarf, human and a lot of orcs.

Something tells me that many orcs would lag.  Epic amounts of lag.

Other than that, I approve this message.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 09:10:51 am »

That's not really jumping, that's dodging to their deaths.

Melancholy dwarves on the other hand, those guys jump...

I've had one drown himself (in a murky pool, I think. He just kind of took a nap facedown) and one jump.

I'm considering blocking off all deep water and magma, and making my tallest points 4 or 5 levels. Just enough that they might still jump, and it will just leave them bedridden and miserable.

Cowards. A real dwarf pulls up his greaves and toughs it out!
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 12:22:28 pm »

I've had one drown himself (in a murky pool, I think. He just kind of took a nap facedown) and one jump.

I'm considering blocking off all deep water and magma, and making my tallest points 4 or 5 levels. Just enough that they might still jump, and it will just leave them bedridden and miserable.

Cowards. A real dwarf pulls up his greaves and toughs it out!

You can't blame them, every good idea we come with always ensues with their suffering somehow :p
Even now we're making ways to allow Dwarves attempt suicide, fail, and end up in perpetual torment.