Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What do you think about showers?

They are great.
- 72 (63.7%)
They suck.
- 12 (10.6%)
I'm going to click on the pointless answer, with no relevtivity to the question, which is located below.
- 14 (12.4%)
The shoe is in the freezer.
- 15 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 113

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Showers.  (Read 4355 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Showers.
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2012, 06:39:53 pm »

I have crazy thinking sessions in my showers. The noise can be tuned out fairly easily.

Also, it's like being in a rainstorm except the rain is nearly about to scald you, which is awesome. 
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2012, 06:48:33 pm »

Is it weird that I sometimes sit down in the shower?
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2012, 06:50:22 pm »

No, I do that too.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2012, 06:53:04 pm »

No, I do that too.

Oh cool, I though I was the only one. Sometimes I'll just sit there and let the water pelt me for up to 10 minutes.
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2012, 06:58:16 pm »

When I'm at home, I have baths. When I'm at university, only showers are available, unfortunately.

I prefer baths. They are a lot more comfortable, a lot warmer, and a lot less messy. When I have showers at uni, the hot water is rather unreliable, and the entire bathroom ends up wet because everything's crammed together. Baths are a lot more relaxing, too, as I can take a book with me.

Baths are superior.
Wallowing in the dirt you're trying to get off you is superior to washing it away?
When you shower, you're not simply washing dirt away, loads of it simply gets moved around your body. It's why surgeons are not allowed to take a shower before operating.
Also, when in the bath you're not wallowing in your own filth. (see Aklyon's post)

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2012, 09:35:08 pm »

Showering too long/often can strip the natural oils from your skin, leaving it feeling 'dry'

So, quick showers, and/or long baths are the best options; a long shower or quick bath is a waste of water.
I'd like to see the supporting evidence for this. My hair is the healthiest, thickest hair I've ever seen dangle from a man's scalp and I take showers every day.

Too often meaning more than twice a day, or more than for 30 minutes...
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

MAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Philosopher King
    • View Profile
    • Marcus Aurelius Let's Play
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2012, 09:46:08 pm »

I'm a bit OCD (not really, I just like to say that because I do have a few non-clinical level OCD habits) so I can't even contemplate a bath. I wonder who was in there before, how well it was cleaned, etc.

I am late to work occasionally because being under the nice warm stream is so much nicer that highsteppin it nekkid across my bedroom in the freezing winter cold.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2012, 11:17:02 pm »

I'm Australian, and baths aren't kosher here due to water restrictions. In any case, the two-minute showers y'all are talking about are foreign to me, as I comb my luxurious hair whilst in there, and as such take a fairly significant portion of an hour.
Showering too long/often can strip the natural oils from your skin, leaving it feeling 'dry'

So, quick showers, and/or long baths are the best options; a long shower or quick bath is a waste of water.
I'd like to see the supporting evidence for this. My hair is the healthiest, thickest hair I've ever seen dangle from a man's scalp and I take showers every day.

I, too, shower every day. I go through so much conditioner it's not even funny.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
  • Sweet flaming monkey fire WHY are they doing that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2012, 11:33:04 pm »

Yeah another aussie who grew up in prema drought conditions. Now I live on the coast I can actually take baths but don't because I'm to tall to fit in the tub comfortably. Most bathtub are to small for me to stretch out in.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 01:36:45 am by Monkeyfacedprickleback »

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2012, 11:40:07 pm »

I have a hard time remembering to ablute myself in any case (usually around a week between, which is gross, i know), but i usually shower, unless i'm really tired, in which case I will lie down in a hot bath for well over half-an-hour and do nothing, then finally scrub myself, and then rinse with the shower, because, let's face it, you're not clean after washing in dirt-sweat-and-skin-cell soup
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2012, 11:57:23 pm »

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2012, 01:08:40 am »

I prefer baths, but showers are pretty sweet as well.  Sometimes I have two a day just because I'm bored!

When you're bored? Heh, where I live (Malaysia), two a day is mandatory because the humid/hot air makes you sticky almost the minute you walk out of the shower. On the other hand, I've lived in Australia & Saudi Arabia, and in both countries, you could go for one every few days if you haven't moved around a lot.

Having a long shower can use more water than a short one, but on the other hand, I agree that soaking yourself in your own filth is not great hygiene, and unless you live in a hotel, people don't clean the bathtub every day.

Also, one major factor in why I pick showers is that not everyone has hot water. Cold showers are fine in a hot country, but it's not exactly relaxing to lie down in a cold bath.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2012, 02:46:27 am »

I can swing both ways, love my showers and I love my baths.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2012, 05:02:33 am »

I was very close to choosing a 'Screw 'em all' option, but then just before I saw this thread I'd just had a long, tepid shower, (it's a hot day) just sitting in there thinking. (Read, rocking back and forth and crying. :P)
Usually though, I dislike showering very often... I like my own stench, and will generally cultivate it for about a week, sometimes two before bathing. This is, of course, during my decently active lifestyle, where I try and get plenty of excercise. Sadly, living with people, I generally get whined at if I indulge in that habit. :(

I usually don't have baths, although they're alright... I find the silence once the water's finished running and it starts getting cold a tad depressing, though. Fond memories of childhood bubble-baths argue in their favour, however...

I live in Coastal Australia, if that matters. It was ridiculously hot today, 40 degrees celsius or something like that. And I had to work, scrambling through the bush and undergrowth killing weeds and getting scratched by spiky plants. D: I think I deserved a tepid shower, after that...
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2012, 05:33:38 am »

I can't stand baths. I have a really bony body, so sitting down in a bathtub is pretty much painful as hell. I also can't wash my hair as well in the bath and my hair gets really gross really fast, which is the main reason I shower anyway.

At any rate, baths are okay, but showers are just the way to go. I don't know what's up with all the shower-hate.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4