Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Candy spike through magma sea  (Read 856 times)

Bytyan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Candy spike through magma sea
« on: January 10, 2012, 02:40:42 pm »

I have exactly one spike on my map, and it begins and seems to end in the magma sea. How do I mine it? Is there a way I can cool or remove the magma that isn't super labour intensive?

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
Re: Candy spike through magma sea
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 02:43:33 pm »

All I can think of is finding some way to pour water around the spike to turn the magma into obsidian. Which... would be pretty labor intensive.

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 03:21:49 pm »

It's not that much work actually. Exploit the fact that water flows through stairs. Dig out a large rectangle of down or up/down stairs above the spire, pour water onto the spire and it'll spill off the sides and turn the magma sea into obsidian. If you want to mine the next layer down, then dig down or up/down stairs into the big rectangle of obsidian, and release more water. Rinse and repeat to go as deep as you want - but you'll need to start with a large enough rectangle.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 04:05:41 pm »

With what Nan said, it's actually quite easy to do since water flows downwards without any sort of intervention on your part. The hard part is getting water to flow upwards, and to limit how much water you're pouring down there.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 09:19:10 pm »

Or, if you want to be dwarfier, pump the magma away from the spire!
With dwarf-powered pumps!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 11:45:49 pm »

With what Nan said, it's actually quite easy to do since water flows downwards without any sort of intervention on your part. The hard part is getting water to flow upwards, and to limit how much water you're pouring down there.

Can be done easily with mechanisms and water pressure >:D

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 06:04:01 am »

Can be done easily with mechanisms and water pressure >:D

Reading this has inspired me to tunnel through the magma sea in my own fort  :D The candycane can go to hell, real dorfs tunnel through magma!  8)
I also just had a human diplomat enter from the surface, hold a meeting, then exit the map via hell.... I guess he thinks he's pretty hardass.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 10:05:08 am »

The problem is going through the semi molten rock without the spoilermetal spire.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 12:25:53 pm »

The problem is going through the semi molten rock without the spoilermetal spire.

Find slade. Possible to dig through with exploits. Possibly even semi-molten rock, though I doubt it.