Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: 2x2 map forts  (Read 5516 times)

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
2x2 map forts
« on: January 10, 2012, 11:56:38 am »

Someone play them? How do they feel like? Screenshot samples are most welcome. Seems to require alot of z-level utilization to decently run a fort.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: 2x2 map forts
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 12:48:03 pm »

Many of my forts are on 2X2 maps.  Usually I have one major stairway from the surface to the magma sea, with different parts of the fortress on different Z-levels, in areas that branch off of the main vertical corridor.  Even when I build a fortress on a larger map it tends to follow the same pattern.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

MAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Philosopher King
    • View Profile
    • Marcus Aurelius Let's Play
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 12:51:00 pm »

Do the caverns feel a bit claustrophobic, Sphalerite?

Also, your staircase must occasionally crash into the caverns, so do you just build around them, or do you use the hacking tools to find a clear pillar all the way down?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 12:53:32 pm »

Mostly I build around the caverns.  This can sometimes mean that the surface-to-depths staircase has some diversions in it.  Most of the larger rooms go in the rock layers between the caverns, although if I really need to I'll wall off parts of the caverns that I just can't build around.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

anzelm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 02:01:09 pm »

My current fort is on a 2x2 embark, with only one cavern layer. The central circular structure will be made into a hollow 'chimney', spanning the ~70 levels between ground and magma. The four main stairways are along the cardinal directions and the goal is to build the fort around the central 'tube'. The example floors below are in top-down order, but there are many levels between them. As for the cavern levels, I will just build what's missing.

Ground level
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Living quarters
Storage space
Temporary magma forges

imo, there is nothing bad about a more vertical fort layout, except it is harder to view. And you get lots of 'Urist McFlyingDwarf smashed into an obstacle and exploded into Urist McGibs' fun.
And they raise their wooden pints
And they yoik and sing
And they fight and dance till the morning!

kanaak666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 02:04:59 pm »

Anzelm, wonderful fort.

Exerosp

• Bay Watcher
  • Not Caught Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 02:25:34 pm »

MAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Philosopher King
    • View Profile
    • Marcus Aurelius Let's Play
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 02:38:48 pm »

Is that an obsidian generator in the living quarters?

anzelm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 03:14:51 pm »

Is that an obsidian generator in the living quarters?

Not yet, It is the top of the 3 aquifer layers, which I plan to punch through and contain the remaining aquifer tiles with floodgates to get a nice 70z waterfall to the magma chamber.
And they raise their wooden pints
And they yoik and sing
And they fight and dance till the morning!

FourierSeries

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 08:13:43 pm »

I think they're quite cozy. Best of all they promote a sense of being able to get my head around it all. I guess they require more Z level expansion which helps management overall I think. You can have each level specialize. There's also the FPS assist from being smaller which I also greatly appreciate. In that sense they're also more portable, you don't have to worry so much about the computer hardware wherever you decide to fire up.

I only use 2x2's now.

That said - my very first 31.25 fort is a 4x4. It was a disaster and required 2 full on reclaims just to keep going. It went to the wayside for a good 6 months after I ragequit attempting manage the resulting ghost spam. This has nothing to do with the embark size, the point is - I came back to this fort after many months of leveling up my management skills determined to fix everything that was wrong with that place. I did mostly ( I think it's an epic tale, especially including my initial incompetence. I'm saving that for another thread / another time. ) but .. I find myself scrolling around that map in awe. So. Much. Space. It's daunting.

Even there I'm huddled in one corner of the map.

There's pros and cons to it but for this DF player 2x2 is more than enough.
I don't think losing guts actually kills you, you just throw up and pass out and bleed to death.
This was supposed to be a cool upgrade. All I got was more hostile zombies.

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 11:10:59 pm »

I used the single tile embark program to allow me to embark on a single tile... so claustrophobic, as I cannot even play on 2x2 embarks.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 01:24:40 am »

I used the single tile embark program to allow me to embark on a single tile... so claustrophobic, as I cannot even play on 2x2 embarks.
that's atmost 24 tiles to the nearest map edge. I'd expect someone die whenever a badger turn his head?
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2012, 02:12:59 am »

Yeah, if something nasty walks onto your map it's walking into your fortress before you can blink.

Also, god help you if you happen to get a clown house in your third cavern layer.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 07:50:05 am »

I am currently playing 2x2 with no caverns. 21 z-levels underground, magma sea at -12. I really hate having less than 100fps. I would play 1x1, but it does strange things occasionally, like having no wildlife. I might add a screenshot once I have built it up a bit.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012, 03:21:22 pm »

Back in 40d I used to like using this and embarking on a magma pipe. It was always a logistical nightmare. No more symmetry for me.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands
Pages: [1] 2 3