Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Ancient Ashes a masterwork mod  (Read 4965 times)

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starting Of Masterwork mod
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2012, 09:21:57 pm »

The next few days passed quickly for the dwarves with lots of tunnelling and setup being completed. They had setup the farms as well as a giant warehouse that would eventually store the various goods of trade and commerce that was sure to arrive.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They had also just finished the primary crafting hall, which contained every workshop and tool known to dwarfdom.
Stronghammer was just about to have a well deserved drink and rest when suddenly Meph came running into the room “Migrants have arrived, and one is demanding your presence.” Stronghammer sighed and shook his head sending his beard wagging back and forth “Alright i’ll talk with him.” Meph gave a quick nod before hurrying off to continue his recording of the fort’s well being while Stronghammer rose from his spot on the ground and walked up the stairs to the farming level. As he reached it he noticed the small group of new dwarves huddle together by the food stockpile talking amongst themselves. There was four dwarves in total with one self important dwarf in the group with what looked like a badge of office.
 “Great” he mumbled to himself “An official.” As he walked over to the group the head dwarf charged over to him.
 “You may address me as Don Gatto, mace of the district, i will be taking over as sheriff, hammerer, and captain of the guard. Where is the rest of your caravan?”
Stronghammer just shook his head in resignation before rubbing his beard and responding to the rather uppidy dwarf. “Well they died on the way here, and you can take yer positions and shove em as we don’t have the right to em yet, the best yer gettin is sheriff and ye’ll answer ta me got it?”
The other dwarf seemed to swell with rage and was about to unleash his pent up rant when Stronghammer merely walked past him and addressed the other migrants. “Right you, are now a craftsman, you’re a farmer, and you’re going to be a hauler. Any questions? No? Good get to work.” The other dwarves turned and scattered heading in various directions to fulfill the orders of Stronghammer. While Stronghammer was ignoring Don Gatto, the dwarf quickly began to turn many different shades of red and then crimson followed by purple. He Don Gatto Mace of the District, was not to be treated as such, nor was he to be ignored. Within a blink he lifted his hammer and swung it at the back of Stronghammer’s helmed head. It seemed that the copper hammer was destined to contect and demolish head and helm, from the might of Don Gatto’s rage when suddenly the hammer stopped.
Don Gatto blinked several times until he noticed that the hammer had been intercepted by a quill, that was being held by non other then Meph the bookkeeper. “Hmmmmm you know that is strickly against the rules, I don’t know if that would make you a bug in the plan, but if you are let me tell you I will have to deal with you.” Don Gatto continued to blink in astonishment and confusion, while Meph turned around and began to discuss with Stronghammer the plans and designs of the fort.
As the other dwarves walked away Don Gatto finally began to think once again. “How? What? Why? How?” Don Gatto was still trying to puzzle it when Shinstache walked by. “Oi don’t stand there like some stunned and stupid fool, grab a pick and get workin. The youth these days, always standing around gawking, in my day...” The rest of what he was about to say was lost as he walked downstairs out of earshot. Don Gatto finally snapped out of his stupor and decided that no matter what had happened he would be sure no one would treat him the Mace of the District badly or incorrectly. And with those final thoughts he walked off to go and begin hammer training.

[ooc] well there is the next post, feel free to comment question, poke fun, laugh, contribute, or simply read. Till tomorrow then, cheers.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2012, 03:22:16 am »

Dwarf me as Winterdirge, the 'Elf Torturer.' Mason/hammerdwarf, bonus if he's the one who trades with the elves and had competent or higher Intimidator skill.

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2012, 08:59:31 am »

Sure thing IamanElfCollaborator

Shintaro Fago

• Bay Watcher
  • discuss safe nourishing non-plant non-animal diets
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2012, 09:43:38 am »

We need an elaborate white/blue/whatevercoloryou'vegot design made of stone blocks in the crafting hall.

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2012, 11:36:43 am »

So very true, and it shall be.........a hammer

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2012, 05:45:01 pm »

Bonus if you get MAGMA to surround the hammer. And kittens. And the skulls of dead elves.

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2012, 08:35:32 pm »

lol, saddly no post tonight as am baby sitting young

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2012, 09:35:24 pm »

Autumn had come in no time as the dwarves worked on carving themselves out a new home in the mountain volcano of Ancient Ashes. The dwarves had upon first arriving, constructed themselves a temporary home in the soil to protect themselves from the outside elements, as well as passing monsters. The bulk of the time now was filled with the carving out of a new living spot deeper in the ground, in the stone. The dwarf Great-Wyrm was invaluable in his masonary skill in building the dining room and large triple hammer symbol carefully inlaid into the floor. During the construction process the dwarf Winterdirge had made himself known from the migrants, and helped in the laying of the symbol dispite the explanation by Great-Wyrm that his own skill was sufficient. While the dining hall had been finished and while the finishing touches on the workshops where put in place many other dwarves were gathered at the entrance to the fortress puzzling over the question of defence.
Stronghammer stood at the front of the group scratching his beard, and gesturing to several places, indicating ideal trap locations. "I think we should put cage traps here and here, and then fill the rest of the hall entrance with weapon traps." Don Gatto snickered and raised his voice to be heard over the general muttering "What does our leader of the military not want to face the enemy in combat? If it was me and my guard, we would meet them in combat, as non could best my skills with a mace nor my abilities as a leader." Stronghammer turned and laughed a great laugh that seemed to shake his beard and belly "Oh ye would, would ya? So ye would go up to hordes o orcs, and giants and smack em all with yer mace? Oh Mace of the District? Ney I think it best we fill it with traps."Another dwarf chose this point to voice his opinions of defence. "We should have a battery of ballista and catapults to break apart any who come." Many bearded faces shook in agreement, while others shook their heads in disagreement. Meph suddenly appeared among the group and spoke a plan he had been considering for a while. "We should hook up the lava into the entryway and use it to burn our enemies alive." The dwarves as one paused and turned, a forest of beards facing the bookkeeper.

Well i paused for a moment and will give it till tomorrow to decide the question of defence, i leave it up to the forum to choose, however if i dont get anything by tomorrow evening I will choose.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2012, 11:41:25 pm »

Is Hugo there yet? I forgot if he's been added. Id suggest weapons and cage traps on the outside, the a hallway that has a retractable bridge bottom that is over a 3-5 z-level drop with Spikes at the bottom. If anything survives, Magma.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2012, 11:45:42 pm »

" What are you looking at ? Stop staring, and listen up. If we dig a tunnel here, and build some magma safe floodgates there and there... and one level above, over the hallway we make a water reservoir, with floor hatches,next to each other.. hooked to a lever.. and.. well. Imagine this: A great horde if ugly greenskins walk in, and suddenly they stand in a shallow pool of magma, maybe 1-2 inch deep. And then it starts raining water from above, and the entire army is encased in obsidian."

Everyone in the hall was listening, although many showed slightly confused expressions.

"It is very simple, here have a look"

This is the plan Meph showed around:

W= WALL, F=FLOODGATE, x=floor, M=MAGMA

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
WMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
WWWWFWWFWWFWWFWWWW
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

WWWWFWWFWWFWWFWWWW
WMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

One Z-level above:
W= Water, H= hatchcover

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 11:48:18 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2012, 12:25:04 am »

No worries Hugo you is going to speak more in the next one, just hard to remember myself as i am reading, writing and playing all at the same time. I like the obsidian idea, however wont encasing things in obsidian destroy them?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2012, 12:35:22 am »

Absolutely. But the first invaders will be zombies, they have no items anyway. Any obsidian kills everything. Even trapavoids, undeads and frost giants. But the set up I showed needs a min. of 100 mechanisms, magma safe parts and 1-2 pumps. It will take a lot of time
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ancient Ashes a masterwork mod
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2012, 07:56:49 pm »

The dwarves looked to one another while Stronghammer puzzled over the proposed plan of Meph. He stood for many minutes staring at the sketches and making calculations in his head. Finally he began to nod and speak. "Well I like yer plan but, its going to take time, so for now we will start by building a magma flodding fail safe.

It was to be a basic plan, the dwarves would build a pump that filled the resivoir above the entrance with magma. At the first sign of trouble they would pull a lever which would pour the liquid rock and fire over the forts entrance, hopefully killing everything trying to get in. While this was put in place and used for general defence the real long term defence option which was Mephs plan would be built.

The gather dwarves all nodded in agreement as Stronghammer gave out the orders, and all scattered to begin their work.

Meanwhile Hugo went to find the head miner Shinstache. He was quickly found digging out one the various exploration tunnels that ran below to surface in search of ore. "Hey Shinstache I need you to dig a small workshop close to the lava so that we can setup forges and start working on weapons."

Shinstache paused as his swing and turned around to face the other dwarf before responding. "And why would I want ta do that, miners are always at risk gettin magma for ye durned craftsmen. We never get anything from it and are always used to as kamakazi miners to breach it. In my day miners......" Before shinstache could launch into one of his stories Hugo interupted him. "It would mean better quality picks as well as helmets and chainmail that the miners could use."

Shinstache stopped his triade before it ever began well aware of the benefits from having protection in a cave in or incase they breached deep caverns. "Alright, but I have to approve of your design before I risk me neck. Whats it look like?"

Hugo with a smile on his face stepped forward and rolled open his plans.

Else were in the fort Winterdirge stood talking to Great-Wyrm. "Well we ye help me build the Depot? We need it incase our allies come to trade." Great-Wyrm laughed as he continued to fit blocks into the flooring. "Well of course you need my masonary skill, however I dont see why we have to have a depot ready for the posibility of elves arriving. Heck I dont even like elves."

Winterdirge stood his ground and thought for a moment before cracking a grin and responding. "Well I just thought that it would be an amazing opportunity to demonstrate not just to us dwarves but also to every other race that visits, your amazing masonary gift." Great-Wyrm stood as fast as he could and began racing to setup the depot in the storage area. He paused and turned at the stairs, "Well? Arent you going to fetch the blocks?"

Don Gatto stood and stared at the general hustle and bustle of the fort, being separate from it while training. He had to train by himself as it seemed that no other dwarf was willing to join the militia to defend their home. Many believed that the fort would be safe enough with the magma traps in place. However he the "Mace of the District" Captain of the guard, Sheriff, and Hammerer, knew that it would eventually fail and he would be ready for that day. While he was away in his thoughts he didnt notice that his swinging was bringing him closer to the sill and the busy Ross. Suddenly he was snapped fomr his thinking by an angry shout. "OI YE JUST BROKE ME BARREL OF ALE, YE DURNED FOOL!!!!!" Don Gatto went white as he realised that in his zeal he had begun swinging and practicing on the still and had broken a ale barrel.

Ross the brewer, was mad as any dwarf who had spilt alchol, and was especially mad as he had been the dwarf who made it. He suddenly entered a trance and lifted the Don Gatto yelling the whole while about his spilt ale and threw him away down the hall. No one would ever doubt that the brewer could fight ever again.

Well I think I have covered everone in this post. From now on the posts will have at the very least one sentence that talks about each named dwarf. If you would like to hear more stuff about your guy let me know, and if you post a journal or a short listing of your characters reaction to the last post, then i will have more to work with. Well Cheers.

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2012, 12:29:03 pm »

It would seem that in my endevours to run my fortress I had underestimated the zombies. They had come suddenly, and out ran half the population who had been out side constructing the lava flooding device. Saddly I had to seal out many dwarves to attempt to save the one inside, yet it was all for naught. Hugo the smith with his copper axe when on a berserker tantrum and slaughtered several of the others. The only people left at that point was Winterdirge and Don Gatto and Stronghammer ironically. I tried to wall the three off from each other to try and see if i could keep the fortress going  yet stronghammer went melonclochy, dirge took a little hope into the lava to end things, and it seems that Don has an infection from a wound that seems to have made itself suddenly present. I regrettably had to abandon the fort though in its place on the forum will be posting bits of story about this lovely embark in the caverns, these will be sporadic. And I will be posting based on my desire to write so this will be effected by busy levels and drive.

Cheers

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2012, 06:30:28 pm »

I think it's safe to say what everyone already posted in the mod thread: zombies are absurdly powerful in this mod. Yet another case of a zombie apocalypse - that's awesome on some level.
Btw, of course Don Gatto survived. He is the mace of the district after all.
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!
Pages: 1 [2] 3