Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Death-in-the-family causing Tantrum Spirals...  (Read 885 times)

Forumite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Death-in-the-family causing Tantrum Spirals...
« on: January 10, 2012, 08:12:26 am »

In my latest big fortress, I got to the point where a lot of the children of the big clans were drafted into the military. Usually military dwarves donīt mind much when one of them die, but their family members do, making dwarves away from the battle unhappy, just as if the favorite peasant was killed in an ambush.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to deal with this? Should I draft every non-breeding member of the clan into the military so they all get used to death, or only use anti-social immigrants for the defences? I would prefer using dwarves who have grown up in the fortress, because I get so many of them and they have more history behind them than random immigrants.
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Death-in-the-family causing Tantrum Spirals...
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 09:11:21 am »

Let them die, let them tantrum, teach them a lesson on what happens when they decide to disobey the law.

So no idea here!

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 10:46:37 am »

I'd suggest making sure you have a suitably legendary dining room, and if that fails, a large jail complex for arresting anyone who tantrums...
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 10:47:19 am »

Magma suites. When a family member dies, burrow the family, and lock them in a room. Then liquidate their assets.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 01:24:02 pm »

Make the rest of the fort as nice as possible. Smooth and engrave the walls in high-traffic areas. Commission a few statues and create a few nice sculpture gardens. Ensure there are lots of high-quality meals and a variety of booze. Even away from DF, a pleasant living and working environment goes a long way towards keeping people's grief and anger at a manageable level.

And if necessary, create a little burrow with a little dormitory and dining room and a really nicely decorated meeting hall, and burrow any dwarves who get close to flipping out in there. Think of it as organising a wake for the deceased.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

kanaak666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 01:40:26 pm »

Yea, generally placing that few Masterwork statues in high traffic areas is enough.

I had this wonderful idea for placing hatches instead of floor in every room and linking them to lever... pfff... too much work for me and fun for gremlins.

Pranz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 02:20:49 pm »

a happiness rehab jail. Golden cages, engrave the shit out of every tile and have some masterwork statues. When they come out of jail they will piss rainbows.
DF Valentine
I punched a hamsterwoman in the mouth and her teeth exploded out of his head like gory shrapnel and littered the ground. Happy Valentines Day.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 02:46:00 pm »

Not cages, gold chains. That way they're easier to supply with food and booze instead of water, can sleep in a nice bed and sup at a nice table, and admire the chain they're on as well as any nearby statues.

Forumite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 09:27:09 am »

So, once one of my soldiers die, and their family members go mad with grief, the fortress guard quickly incarcerate them all until they calm down from masterwork statues and wonderfull food? Itīs better than leaving them out of control.
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 12:47:06 pm »

Wait, so you recruited only parts of the family clans?

If you're going to go military, go FULL military. Recruit everyone. And not in some crappy militia, I mean full 24/7 sparring :P

Works every time. Minimal civilian losses. Increased casualties of war. Who needs industry anyways?