Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Plans and various plots.  (Read 1026 times)

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
  • 148 Giant Mosquitos won't stop Polar Bear testing!
    • View Profile
Plans and various plots.
« on: January 10, 2012, 06:47:45 am »

So I've been sitting on a small fort for about seven or eight years. Now in that time, I've breached the deep and set up a bundle of cage traps. What I hadn't realised is the number of blind cave ogres I've managed to collect until just then. All in all I have about ten or twelve of the things. What I was wondering was this. Is it possible to unleash them on FBs? Goblins? Is it economical and have you ever used a third party group as a weapon? I've used zombies in the past for various things but the distinction is pretty major between living and dead...
Quote from: Oliolli
Quote from: Dohon
Dwarf Fortress: where good advice confuses new players and bad advice makes the Geneva Conventions scream out in pain.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: Plans and various plots.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 06:59:59 am »

I'm not sure what you mean about economical.  I have never tried anything like this, but if the cave ogres are strong, and if you keep catching a continuous supply of them, you could have an interesting neutral army to destroy your enemies with. 

Of course, this all depends on whether how many there are and if they spawn more.   
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 07:13:34 am »

They. Just. Keep. Coming. I'm up to 20 now.

By economical, would the return be worth the effort and cost of implementing a plan?
Do ogres attack goblins and FBs and other assorted beasties?
Dwarf Fortress: where good advice confuses new players and bad advice makes the Geneva Conventions scream out in pain.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 07:28:21 am »

You're going to have to ask someone who knows more about them. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Quantumtroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 07:42:54 am »

I have had zero luck using a dragon pit as an elk-bird and goblin disposal.  They all just sat there and chilled, waiting for the day I'd finally get bored and open the drawbridge holding them in.

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 07:48:31 am »

Well, in the meantime. What am I supposed to do with 20 blind cave ogres? O.o

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 09:08:34 am »

Mod them tameable, tame 'em, unleash the fury on goblins.
The only creatures cavern critters attack by themselves when not tamed, are creatures from aboveground. For some reason. Wild creatures only, too. Sentient civvers are not targeted.

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 09:24:46 am »

Mod them tameable, tame 'em, unleash the fury on goblins.
The only creatures cavern critters attack by themselves when not tamed, are creatures from aboveground. For some reason. Wild creatures only, too. Sentient civvers are not targeted.
So like a Titan?

the woods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 11:29:59 am »

New squad uniform with Cave Ogre Leather Cloaks/Hoods/Gloves.

You can call the uniform ... Ogrekill.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 11:42:40 am »

Can non-tamed animals in cages be traded to the caravans? They'd have to be worth a few barrels of beer if nothing else.

Alternatively, wall off one end of the caverns and tunnel in above it so you can release them back into the wild without worrying about them coming back to cause trouble. It'll free up some cages if nothing else.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 11:54:20 am »

Well I figured out what to do with 20 ogres. I constructed a pit with a drawbridge entrance and a hole in the top with a retracting bridge. The speed at which 20 ogres will tear a noble to pieces is remarkable to say the least.

That said, I'm sure there's a more productive use for them.

the woods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2012, 12:31:45 pm »

Build an ogre shower out of pumps and pressure plates for them to walk on.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2012, 03:31:44 pm »

I modded blind cave ogres to be tameable and trainable once having caught a family.  Over 50 fort years they bred into prodigious clan (children mature very slowly though).  They made fantastic bodyguards and saved numerous dwarves numerous times. I even gave the Baron's personal bodyguard a nice grave when he suddenly died of old age, 30 or so years after being tamed (other pets got the trash heap).

Best part came when I got bored and used dfhack to take control of a militia commander, to explore the fort from within. At that point the [PET] tag must have disappeared, because the first thing I observed as an "adventurer" was a mass blind cave ogre rebellion.  The battle was epic. I caught glimpses of all the celebrities of my fort duking it out with their rebellious blind cave ogres. Recommend highly
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2012, 04:03:20 pm »

That would be awesome, you should see if you can do that again and get film of it. I bet there's a ton of people that would be willing to sit through an entire rebellion. :)

So, to recap, It's been just over a decade since we embarked. I've collected about 20 or so cave ogres in a rather twisted turn of "blind luck" and decided to toss them all into a pit for noble disposal duty. Following this, my lovely little fort came under attack by a FB with a rotting gas attack. The squad that defends one of the chambered cairn (centered underground to bury a number of the miners that have died over the years) managed to engage and take the beast out with a small number of losses. They then proceeded upstairs to receive treatment for their now rotting flesh as individuals came down and started collecting up the fallen goods and corpses. This has now caused quite the cascade of deaths. In an attempt to secure the fort, I quarantined almost everybody affected with the blight inside the hospital and abandoned the Miners Cairn and the gold trinkets and artifacts that lay within. Needless to say, this then allowed a gremlin to proceed up the now unguarded shaft, through the open airlock (I was busy ushering people round and forgot entirely about that little precaution) and into the area where I keep my ogres. With one pull of the lever, the ogres were released, raining death and havoc among an unguarded and blighted peoples. The ogres proceeded to smash everything, chairs, tables, chests, dworfs and the mechanically unconnected floodgate that was being used to fill the pond inside the under-halls. With that little event, water gushed in and began to fill the lower levels.

Now, due to the design of my fortress, the entrance to the shaft downwards sits above the river line, meaning that the water coming in is unable to simply vent down into the cavern below. This has left a number of favored dwarf and a considerable armory unable to be reached. In the wake of this however, I turned them to digging an entrance up and into the, now secured, great-hall. With my dworfs separated by a number of barriers (water, ogres, quarantine walls, physical walls) my foray into ogre usage has become a rather costly affair. However, my plan to retake the fortress is currently underway and the ogres have already been circumvented.

Interestingly enough. The story of one of my best speardworf's last stand is pretty awesome. Chasing down the ogre that decided to flood the under-halls, she was disarmed and continued to fight the ogre in the midst of the flooding. Only when the ogre was finally killed did she decide to seek cover. This however failed, the water was already too deep to leave so she simply went over and, I'm assuming sat on top of her recent kill and just waited patiently for the flood waters to kill her.

Anyway, so thats it then. Thats what happens when you have that many ogres. I can repeat it so it must be !!!SCIENCE!!!

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2012, 07:25:29 pm »

I have had zero luck using a dragon pit as an elk-bird and goblin disposal.  They all just sat there and chilled, waiting for the day I'd finally get bored and open the drawbridge holding them in.
I built an arena for a cave dragon that i caught accidently in my cavern cage traps. I dropped lots of white tigermen in to it and waited for the FUN. They didn't touch each other, besides for the odd animal pasture fighting behaviour where a tigerman lost a limb or two because it tried to occupy the same square as the dragon. Really you want war animals if you can; they're part of your civ and will actually attack. might edit the raws just to get a war cave dragon (tame).
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.