Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: newborn dwarves and clothes  (Read 1756 times)

San-A

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
newborn dwarves and clothes
« on: January 10, 2012, 06:28:03 am »

As stupid question that came to my mind: do newborn dorfs come up fully clothed? Or do I need to make some for them?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: newborn dwarves and clothes
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 08:47:49 am »

No and no.  Dwarven babies are born naked (though fully bearded), and will refuse to wear clothing even if you make some.  The same goes for adult dwarves whose clothing wears away - they'll never wear any new clothes, unless you put them in the military and assign them a uniform.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Aramara Meibi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 07:04:04 pm »

they'll never wear any new clothes, unless you put them in the military and assign them a uniform.

If I do that and then release them from duty, will they keep their uniform? or will they shed it immediately?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 07:40:06 pm »

they'll never wear any new clothes, unless you put them in the military and assign them a uniform.

If I do that and then release them from duty, will they keep their uniform? or will they shed it immediately?

They will stockpile it / put it in a barrack container

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 08:11:44 pm »

If you have them set to wear their uniform while off-duty then they will continue wearing them.

Also, don't put miners, woodcutters, or hunters in the military as this causes strange things to happen to their uniforms.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 08:29:12 am »

I had this nice poison on the floor. It didn't affect anyone wearing shoes. Needless to say, pets died en masse, as did the children
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Aramara Meibi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 12:27:50 pm »

I see, this is a pretty major bug. I thought it was a side effect of my dwarves not really caring about anything anymore.

OK, so to maintain a society of clothed dwarves, you must keep them all enlisted in the military? You can't assign them to a squad, wait for them to get dressed, and then unenlist them? You must keep them enlisted yet on inactive duty?

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 01:08:49 pm »

OK, so to maintain a society of clothed dwarves, you must keep them all enlisted in the military? You can't assign them to a squad, wait for them to get dressed, and then unenlist them? You must keep them enlisted yet on inactive duty?

Unfortunately dwarves see no need for clothing at the moment. They've been nudists for some time now.

Like others said, you'll need to give them specific uniforms in military squads and keep them there or they'll just drop their clothes in their rooms or in storage containers of some sort.

You really only need to give them shoes so that FB poisons don't melt their feet off. Anything else is just a waste of cloth.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Aramara Meibi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 02:40:58 pm »

You really only need to give them shoes so that FB poisons don't melt their feet off. Anything else is just a waste of cloth.

if I may... what then is the whole point of the clothing industry?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 02:50:33 pm »

if I may... what then is the whole point of the clothing industry?

Cloths? Providing cheap protection for civvies. But that's usually moot. The CLOTH industry on the other hand... Well, infinite dyed crafts have their charms.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 02:54:27 pm »

same use as making toy hammers and mini forges
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 03:05:53 pm »

same use as making toy hammers and mini forges

Except better, and free with a good farming industry.