Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Starting 7 Dwarves  (Read 766 times)

Rohain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Starting 7 Dwarves
« on: January 10, 2012, 12:26:17 am »

With the new release coming out, today's devlog said that all the dwarves will have huge extended families except the starting 7, because they are pulled from thin air.  It seems like a relatively easy fix would be to create these 7 dwarves as an extended family somehow keyed into the greater dwarven population, rather then drawing from the world population at large.  Just have them be a self contained family and you can trace your original dwarven line through your Fortress and you won't have to worry about drawing from the greater population.

This seems easier then having the engine figure out which dwarves to draw and if they are eligible or not, though that does sound just as cool.

I just like the idea of a sort of royal family that you can trace all the way back to your founding dwarves.

ayoriceball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starting 7 Dwarves
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 01:12:56 am »

With the new release coming out, today's devlog said that all the dwarves will have huge extended families except the starting 7, because they are pulled from thin air.  It seems like a relatively easy fix would be to create these 7 dwarves as an extended family somehow keyed into the greater dwarven population, rather then drawing from the world population at large.  Just have them be a self contained family and you can trace your original dwarven line through your Fortress and you won't have to worry about drawing from the greater population.

This seems easier then having the engine figure out which dwarves to draw and if they are eligible or not, though that does sound just as cool.

I just like the idea of a sort of royal family that you can trace all the way back to your founding dwarves.

I would rather wait untill Toady does the starting scenarios, that way, the history of our starting dwarves will make sense.
Don't dwarven ladies know they're beautiful the way they are? They don't need to starve themselves to look like those elven bitches.
"Tigermen are lazy and worthless... but not MY friend, Grroawarul."