Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pit traps  (Read 460 times)

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pit traps
« on: January 09, 2012, 11:31:51 pm »

I want to put my enemies in a pit, to be dealt with as I please when I please. So I channeled out a pit with a 1x10 "bridge" on which I will place weapon traps. If the enemies dodge the traps, they fall into the pit. What are the best traps for this? Menacing spikes on levers (repeat) or regular weapon traps (serrated discs)?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Pit traps
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 11:34:37 pm »

Either do. Enemies falling on upright spikes automatically get hit, and spikes don't get jammed (when not in weapon traps anyways). So just for convenience I'd go with spikes.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 11:40:37 pm »

Either do. Enemies falling on upright spikes automatically get hit, and spikes don't get jammed (when not in weapon traps anyways). So just for convenience I'd go with spikes.

I mean to get the enemies to dodge and fall, not to kill them.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 11:43:26 pm »

Oh you mean on the bridge? Well then use spiked balls or serrated discs. Preferably glass or silver ones.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 11:44:50 pm »

Oh you mean on the bridge? Well then use spiked balls or serrated discs. Preferably glass or silver ones.

Why? Do those cause dodging more? I don't mind damaging the enemies a bit. A missing arm would make it easier to train on.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 11:47:23 pm »

Why? Do those cause dodging more? I don't mind damaging the enemies a bit. A missing arm would make it easier to train on.

Spikes tend to impale organs, so it's usually more fatal. Spiked balls also have three attacks every time they're triggered, so you get more chance that they'll dodge off your bridge, and serrated disc traps... Well they're a wild card, can do absolutely nothing or completely sever goblins in half. Expect limbs to fly everywhere. If you can't decide, just use a mix ;)

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 01:32:05 am »

You know all those useless elven weapons you probably have piling up from caravan accidents, intentional or otherwise? Put them in traps along with low-quality mechanisms and everything will successfully dodge them or at least survive to walk into the next trap.

Save the good stuff for your second line of defense. You can really raise the value of a room this way.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.