Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: What's the last funny/random/utterly absurd moment that happened in a game?  (Read 18112 times)

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile

Well, now that this has been necroèd (pronounced "necro-ed" in two syllables, Shakespeare style)...

I got nothin', man.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

I was playing Titanfall.

As some background info one of the ways Titanfall deviates from Call of Duty is scale.  There's only six players maximum on each side.  Instead, each team has something like 25-50 NPC soldiers, a mix of regular human grunts and robotic spectres.  Killing grunts and spectres gives you XP, counts down your Titan drop, and gives you points toward winning in the Attrition game mode.

Absurd moment:

As I parkoured my way across the map, I heard a grunt say "Door's clear, let's move!"

And it was a kind of moment of clarity for me.  It was like I was some warmonger king and I found a letter a dead foot soldier had written to his lover back home.  Suddenly the absurdity of the grunts and the micro-drama of their little battles was apparent to me.

Titanfall is set in a world where we have advanced combat robots, like I mentioned. They're almost as tough as pilots, they're more mobile than grunts, and they're generally superior to grunts in every way.  We also have pilots who are obviously superhuman.  And we still send grunts.  It's absurd.  And it's cute to watch how seriously they take everything, how dramatic their completely pointless lives are.

A squad of grunts gathers at a doorway, ready to breach and clear.  The squad leader signals with his hands, careful not to alert the occupants.  A pilot banks off a wall and careens through a window at 30 miles an hour, clearing the building in seconds with his SMG.

The IMC and the Militia are engaged in a tense firefight, the IMC calling for support as a second militia squad moves in to flank their cover.  Suddenly a Titan runs by and squishes the whole squad.

A militia soldier, out of ammo, charges forward with a battle cry for freedom to punch a Spectre in the face.  It catches the punch and effortlessly breaks his wrist.

Everything the grunts do is completely absurd.  I kind of want to get a permacloak card, then open up a private match and just follow a squad of grunts around, watching them.
Shoes...

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was in my P40 kitty hawk going head on again a japanese aircraft as i start pulling up he goes straight at my, his wing bashing hard on mine cutting in half, mine? Still pristine from the impact no damage at all and still had the kill.

Next one im in a furball lots of friendly and enemy juggling around get on a tail and fire him im getting closer and closer cut my trottle get in reload, still getting closer and i tell myself i am NOT leaving your tail, 2 second before reload i really had to pull back, from the point of view i had i was safe to pull up witch i did.... I swear i took out his rudders with my propeller..... He went down due to lack of proper control and again got the kill since i already gave him a couple shot.

War Thunder.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Absurd moment:
This... actually sounds pretty amazing.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID

Absurd moment:
This... actually sounds pretty amazing.
Actually reminds me of one time I was killed by a smart AI team of blind dogs, a bloodsucker, and a trio of snorks (despite playing normal difficulty, I was easily overwhelmed) in an unfortunate run in STALKER.

Post-mortem, I managed to witness the same team that mopped the floor with me take out a small squad of bandits or stalkers, and then the blind dogs wandered into some lightning anomalies. Hell, we just need to watch NPCs in some games as well made like this. I mean, watching the AI work when it's very well coded would be interesting.

Always entertaining is after getting gored to death by a boar, watching one get sucked up into a vortex anomaly and squeal into implosion-style chopped pork. Pre-tenderized.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 08:58:25 pm by Itnetlolor »

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID

Kairo has some funny physics. I managed to push a chair, while I was on it, and my feet weren't touching the ground. I was in the seat of the chair, pushing the back rest portion, with no other means of locomotion, and I was pushing it across the room while sitting on it.

Instead of being weirded out, I instead responded with "I'm breaking physics!!! :D ", and gleefully pushing it all over the place in that manner.

...Something about me, chairs, and broken laws of physics, and just enjoying the hell out of the experience, as my avatar would let you know.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 07:27:35 pm by Itnetlolor »

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile

In Dark Souls 2, I'm running across a bridge linking two areas together, getting shot at by three crossbowmen.

When I enter the building, I figure I'm safe. At least until they run from wherever their sniper nest is to me.

I wasn't expecting the three to be able to jump down from their perch on the floor above me.

I also wasn't expecting two of them to miss their landing, falling into the massive hole in the floor.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile

Playing the horribly slow flash version of The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, I punched in "MURDER ARTHUR DENT" after forgetting to get a thingie.

It's amazing what the game developers thought of.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile

Livestreaming XCOM: Terror from the Deep for /tg/ (this was back when all XCOM discussion took place on /tg/ instead of /vr/).

I have a guy with the rocket launcher. The mission has gone incredibly well to this point, and we're about to breach the alien sub. But first, I take a few turns to march the rocket launcher guy allll the way across the map, just to be safe. I order a guy to open the sub, and there's an alien on the other side of the door.

The guy with the rocket launcher reaction-fires from at least 20 tiles away, at a different elevation. The explosion kills everyone in the squad instantly. I didn't know I'd have to face him the other way too.

Leaving Rocket Explodey McHomicide behind, the only trooper I have left flees in the Triton. When he gets home, what should happen but a base assault with Calcinites?

I haven't played TFTD since.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile

I wish I had been recording it at the time, but all I got was the replay of it after the fact, so the audio isn't there. In iRacing the seasons are 12 weeks, on the 13th week anyone can race anything (providing they own the content of course) regardless of their license level, which means the races tend to be complete wreck fests. Well, in one of the races, one guy managed to lose control exiting turn 4, but managed to come to a complete stop before anything bad happened (I dodged him by maybe an inch).

As he settles in to pull to the apron, a car brushes him, but he's mostly fine. Then the next car slams into him full on. Over the microphone this guy is screaming his head off in terror. However as soon as it seems it's over, in comes Laggy McBadConnection who hits him square on, warping through him, and causing him to ricochet off another car and fly into space before crashing into the pavement.

Hearing him panic combined with the lagging guy goes "WHERE DID THAT GUY COME FROM" as I cruised safely along the backstretch was perhaps the moment that made all the damage to my ratings week 13 did worth it.

Here's the video sans mic audio

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: Last funny, random, and utterly absurd moment you've had in a game
« Reply #100 on: May 09, 2014, 12:14:44 pm »

I wish I had been recording it at the time, but all I got was the replay of it after the fact, so the audio isn't there. In iRacing the seasons are 12 weeks, on the 13th week anyone can race anything (providing they own the content of course) regardless of their license level, which means the races tend to be complete wreck fests. Well, in one of the races, one guy managed to lose control exiting turn 4, but managed to come to a complete stop before anything bad happened (I dodged him by maybe an inch).

As he settles in to pull to the apron, a car brushes him, but he's mostly fine. Then the next car slams into him full on. Over the microphone this guy is screaming his head off in terror. However as soon as it seems it's over, in comes Laggy McBadConnection who hits him square on, warping through him, and causing him to ricochet off another car and fly into space before crashing into the pavement.

Hearing him panic combined with the lagging guy goes "WHERE DID THAT GUY COME FROM" as I cruised safely along the backstretch was perhaps the moment that made all the damage to my ratings week 13 did worth it.

Here's the video sans mic audio
Kinda reminds me of my playthroughs of NASCAR and ragequitting and just going bumper cars with traffic. Made some pretty nice pileups doing that.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 10, 2014, 01:12:23 am »

Playing Planetside 2, trying to learn the controls.

Threw a grenade over a cliff by accident.

Killed two teammates.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 10, 2014, 04:09:55 pm »

Huskar jumps onto jakiro, will prob kill him with one spear, I'm playing Tiny. I manage to grab huskar mid air and throw him at jakiro, cancelling his ultimate and stealing the kill, lol.

(DotA 2)
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Xazo-Tak

• Bay Watcher
  • *Camping forever*
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 10, 2014, 04:10:56 pm »

A spawn room with 3 heavies just constantly eating Sandviches.
How to have recursive Fun:
Have Fun
Reclaim fort
Destroy your main graveyard with a cave-in

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 10, 2014, 07:57:58 pm »

Huskar jumps onto jakiro, will prob kill him with one spear, I'm playing Tiny. I manage to grab huskar mid air and throw him at jakiro, cancelling his ultimate and stealing the kill, lol.

(DotA 2)
I don't know much about DotA2, but shouldn't some of you three been on the same team?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9