Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Does llama bone floodgate hold water?  (Read 728 times)

muxecoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Does llama bone floodgate hold water?
« on: January 09, 2012, 01:41:55 pm »

My moody brewer created a llama bone floodgate artifact(decorated with two images of artifact itself, woot!)

I want to use the artifact to control water reservoir inside the fortress. Does bone floodgate hold water?

P.S: Now I have a legendary bonecrafter brewing drinks for the dwarves.

Edward_Tohr

• Bay Watcher
  • Stuffs. Yarr!
    • View Profile
Re: Does llama bone floodgate hold water?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 01:53:59 pm »

Yep! All floodgates hold back water equally well.

When it comes to magma, however, the material does matter, though I'm not sure if that still counts for artifacts...
Quietust, what would we ever do without you and your endless knowledge of v0.23a?
I was going to say "fail spectacularly", but you guys seem to be doing a great job of that already.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 01:59:22 pm »

All floodgates hold back both water and magma, but if you open a floodgate holding back magma, the magma can potentially destroy the floodgate by melting it or by burning it (not to be confused with setting it on fire, which simply heats it up and burns it) - artifacts are seemingly immune to being damaged, so I believe the only danger would be from it melting, but don't hold me to that.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

muxecoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 02:15:14 pm »

All floodgates hold back both water and magma, but if you open a floodgate holding back magma, the magma can potentially destroy the floodgate by melting it or by burning it (not to be confused with setting it on fire, which simply heats it up and burns it) - artifacts are seemingly immune to being damaged, so I believe the only danger would be from it melting, but don't hold me to that.
Do you think one of the nobles will enjoy a nice floodgate in his bedroom? ;)

Thanks for the answer. I see more detailed answer in your signature. Unfortunately my floodgate took more than two cats. I think the dwarf who made it is a great brewer. Booze that makes you invent a silver-decorated bone floodgate must be really special. :)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 04:18:15 pm »

I think you should dump magma on it, just to see if artefacts really are indestructible.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 05:17:11 pm »

Do you think one of the nobles will enjoy a nice floodgate in his bedroom? ;)

Thanks for the answer. I see more detailed answer in your signature. Unfortunately my floodgate took more than two cats. I think the dwarf who made it is a great brewer. Booze that makes you invent a silver-decorated bone floodgate must be really special. :)
there is nothing nobles enjoy more than arbitrary expensive junk in their bedrooms. Nothing!
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 06:32:39 pm »

I think you should dump magma on it, just to see if artefacts really are indestructible.
Artifact coal bins can have lava poured on them to catch on fire IIRC. They never stop burning.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 08:44:17 pm »

Artifact coal bins can have lava poured on them to catch on fire IIRC. They never stop burning.

Not quite, you're mixing up a few different effects.

Artifacts made from flammable materials (wood, leather, graphite or coal, etc) will catch on fire if you pour magma on them.  They will burn indefinitely without being destroyed, because fire destroys objects by gradually damaging them and artifacts are immune to wear.  However, if you pour water on a burning artifact, it will go out.

If you put a flammable object such as a bar of coal or graphite mug in a magma-safe bin, and then pour magma on it, the object will catch on fire.  Being in a bin will make it impossible to put the fire out by dumping water on the object (or dropping the object in the bin into the ocean).  However, the burning object will gradually suffer damage from the fire and eventually be destroyed, at which point the fire will go out.

If you put a flammable artifact in a magma-safe bin and pour magma on it, it will burn forever and be impossible to put out by pouring water on it.  Enjoy your perpetual FPS drain.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.