Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarfs hauling in a section I didn't designate.  (Read 555 times)

Kinasin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarfs hauling in a section I didn't designate.
« on: January 09, 2012, 09:30:35 am »

I set up my dump and dump items area for what area I want the dwarfs to go to haul out this stone/other stuff in a certain area only. The lil buggers are going to another area where I don't want them where I have my dwarfs mining out and picking up stone when I Don't want them doing so in that area. I'm just gonna hide the items in the area they are going to. How do I stop them from grabbing stone in an area I don't want them hauling at? :'(

Urist_The_First

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: MAKE_TROPHY_SAPIENT: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarfs hauling in a section I didn't designate.
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 09:39:49 am »

Have you designated the stone to be dumped?  Check with "k" and looking for the purple "D" next to the stone.

If not, are they just filling up a stone stockpile somewhere, rather than dumping it?  I often put a garbage dump over a "proper" stone stockpile for quantum stockpiling (makes it feel less cheaty if some of the stone is stockpiled normally).  If this is similar to what you are doing they will fill the stockpile with stone the ISN'T designated dumped and the rest will be taken to the garbage zone.

UtF

Kinasin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 09:45:01 am »

Have you designated the stone to be dumped?  Check with "k" and looking for the purple "D" next to the stone.

If not, are they just filling up a stone stockpile somewhere, rather than dumping it?  I often put a garbage dump over a "proper" stone stockpile for quantum stockpiling (makes it feel less cheaty if some of the stone is stockpiled normally).  If this is similar to what you are doing they will fill the stockpile with stone the ISN'T designated dumped and the rest will be taken to the garbage zone.

UtF

I designated stone to be dumped in a different area with the dump garbage command. They are taking out stone in the area I'm mining in as well and I don't want them to do that.

Kinasin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 09:48:43 am »

The area My dwarfs have mined out they are grabbing stone when I didn't set them up to in said area. I designated the area I did want stone to be taken from though and they are grabbing stone from their but they are also grabbing stone in a area I didn't designate them to.

Urist_The_First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 09:51:33 am »

By "dump garbage" command do you mean "d-b-d" and drawing a rectangle over the stone to be dumped?

If so, you may have clipped some of the stone elsewhere.  I've managed to do that with stuff outside my fort before - all the peasants rush outside to try and gather up this stuff only to be devoured by skeletal giant eagles.  Feels bad...

Otherwise, if it isn't designated for dumping (purple D) and they are still hauling it, check to see where they are going with it... it might not be being dumped at all, but stockpiled.

Kinasin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 09:54:30 am »

By "dump garbage" command do you mean "d-b-d" and drawing a rectangle over the stone to be dumped?

If so, you may have clipped some of the stone elsewhere.  I've managed to do that with stuff outside my fort before - all the peasants rush outside to try and gather up this stuff only to be devoured by skeletal giant eagles.  Feels bad...

Otherwise, if it isn't designated for dumping (purple D) and they are still hauling it, check to see where they are going with it... it might not be being dumped at all, but stockpiled.

Exactly. I designated the area with said command to be dumped specifically and they are going into another area and taking stone where I didn't designate and placing it into the dump with the area I designated.

Kinasin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 10:00:39 am »

So is there a way to stop them from grabbing stone in a area I don't want them doing it in???

Kinasin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 10:23:38 am »

Figured it out.  :P

Urist_The_First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 10:33:53 am »

What was it?  :)

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 11:21:31 am »

Are they dumping it, or carrying it to a workshop/stockpile?